Zeppelin Classics....Part Deux

DCGNR

Achilles by far for me. Presence also has some very underated stuff like Hots On For Nowhere (talk about killer riffs), For Your LIfe....etc.... Anyway, the amazing drumming by Bonham, the killer many tracks by Jimmy, and the great lyrics by Plant make Achilles one of my all time favorites IMHO

Achilles by far for me. Presence also has some very underated stuff like Hots On For Nowhere (talk about killer riffs), For Your LIfe....etc.... Anyway, the amazing drumming by Bonham, the killer many tracks by Jimmy, and the great lyrics by Plant make Achilles one of my all time favorites IMHO

you have to give JPJ's thumping bass line some credit.

Yes! That's why, as far as Rock songs go, this song may be the best crafted one ...ever

Bonham's drumming alone puts it into otherworldly category

ChicagoComa: While Achilles is possibly my fav Zep song, Presence is far from my favorite album - I like about 1/2 of it, but that funky, jumpy stuff you mentioned, like Hots on or Royal Orleans, etc.....that shit just annoys the crap out of me

OK ---JPJ never gets his dues I forgot and I'll admit----but the thumping is mostly Bonham---check out the Zed Zep DVD--- Bonham scorches on that---One of the performances that makes him an all-time drummer IMHO-----He is just on fire !!!!!

Yes! That's why, as far as Rock songs go, this song may be the best crafted one ...ever

Bonham's drumming alone puts it into otherworldly category

ChicagoComa: While Achilles is possibly my fav Zep song, Presence is far from my favorite album - I like about 1/2 of it, but that funky, jumpy stuff you mentioned, like Hots on or Royal Orleans, etc.....that shit just annoys the crap out of me

Exactly on the Bonham reply----but as a guitar player Achilles, Hots On, For Your Life, Candy Store Rock, and Tea For One are blistering classics IMHO----and for me Presence will always remain one of the most underestimated albums of all time ----and those who also hate "CODA" check out Wearing and Tearing and Darlene---

But I won't argue-----EVERY Zep album is a masterpiece!!!!!!----Jimmy Page is the ultimate riff writer of all time IMHO

My top 3 bands---- Zep ---Floyd---and Rush

BUT.... I will have to admit-- before I graduated to those bands I worshipped KISS, AC/DC, and Cheap Trick----then i went to progressive rock-----

Battle Of Evermore is their best song tough.

Another Beautiful track for sure

Don't worry

I started these threads because of the huge Zep following we have around here and I thought it'd be cool to get opinions on one song vs another - it's been interesting reading the replies

Battle of Evermore is a classic

I always enjoy the little anecdote about ALS:

It was right after Plant got injured in the car accident - he has his foot in a cast and he was recording the vocals for Achilles Last Stand when he strained too hard on the note that he fell down and re-injured the same foot. This, according to some, is how the song got its name. I've always thought of the vocals on this song as the best that Robert's ever lay down - at least in post IV years when his voice was going through a couple surgeries and shit.

It was right after Plant got injured in the car accident - he has his foot in a cast and he was recording the vocals for Achilles Last Stand when he strained too hard on the note that he fell down and re-injured the same foot. This, according to some, is how the song got its name. I've always thought of the vocals on this song as the best that Robert's ever lay down - at least in post IV years when his voice was going through a couple surgeries and shit.

Pretty funny - I read Hammer of the Gods and don't recall ever hearing that story

It is a masterpiece, anyway you look at it - His vocals are great indeed

Pretty funny - I read Hammer of the Gods and don't recall ever hearing that story

Anecdote about Hammer of the Gods:

Jimmy Page threw it out a moving train after reading a few pages because he was so disgusted by the inaccuracies.

Damn I'm full of worthless Zeppelin trivia.

Edited by stevGNR666

y'know the further i get into the blues the more Led Zeppelin start to feel a bit...i dunno, dont wanna piss off any Zeppelin fans here cuz some of you are a bit militant to say the least (which is understandable, i am too with stuff like The Beatles and The Who and The Sex Pistols).

Whats even odder is that The Stones could just as easily be accused of what im implying Zep are guilty of (and im not really sure what that is) but for some reason it just doesnt seem to apply as much. The Stones seem to...maintain something. Its more a feeling i get from the music than anything else.

I think Zep best shine on that one song, Rock n Roll, thats the fuckin shit right there :):):):) and Black Dog.

Well, thing is Zeppelin gets ragged on a lot for taking stuff from other people. Yeah, we know, but many, many bands do this, often with a lot less respect. Zeppelin generally took things and made them their own (with the probably exception of Whole Lotta Love). Bands like Oasis for example just took loads of Beatles stuff, said yeah we nicked it and don't get half the stick for it. Zeppelin made these old blues tracks into masterpieces and yet they get it in the neck for it? The Red Hot Chili Peppers did it too with Dani California and they don't get shit for it. I get why people do it, it's a takeoff and they got to a legendary status with it, but surely it's something about the band itself that made it a better song to receive such accolade?

Well, thing is Zeppelin gets ragged on a lot for taking stuff from other people. Yeah, we know, but many, many bands do this, often with a lot less respect. Zeppelin generally took things and made them their own (with the probably exception of Whole Lotta Love). Bands like Oasis for example just took loads of Beatles stuff, said yeah we nicked it and don't get half the stick for it. Zeppelin made these old blues tracks into masterpieces and yet they get it in the neck for it? The Red Hot Chili Peppers did it too with Dani California and they don't get shit for it. I get why people do it, it's a takeoff and they got to a legendary status with it, but surely it's something about the band itself that made it a better song to receive such accolade?

i wasnt really that aware of it but im curious now...do go on :)