Prince

Shuffle

Yeah I know there's been threads about him before... So I only have Purple Rain which is quite amazing. Where should I go next? Which albums would you recommend? How do they differ in sound? Which are more guitar-based? etc etc

What do you think about Prince? Do you like him? Why? Why not? Discuss.

Edited by Soulseller

What do you think about Prince?

I think he's god. Or at least a god. :heart: He's basically the Woody Allen of music - he burned out creatively quite a while ago and seems to have a bizarre preference for quantity over quality. But he's an icon for the ages and his greatest stuff is unmatched and always will be.

Controversy is also essential when you're starting out.

What do you think about Prince?

I think he's god. Or at least a god. :heart: He's basically the Woody Allen of music - he burned out creatively quite a while ago and seems to have a bizarre preference for quantity over quality. But he's an icon for the ages and his greatest stuff is unmatched and always will be.

Controversy is also essential when you're starting out.

I wholeheartedly agree. :heart:

Dude if you really want to delve into the musical genius that is Prince . . . you must go BACKWARDS from Sign of the Times.

If you want the Prince who was the next Michael Jackson. The Prince who had SOUL and HEART. Not the sex-maniac freak of today.

Just go buy these three CDS and listen to the songs I highlighted.

Controversy ---- amazing album. You are not a Prince fan if you don't own this album. The songs Controversy and Private Joy are just as good today as they were 20 years ago. But dont worry, there is a song called Do Me Baby and a song called Jack U Off - a sign of the freak he was later to become.

Dirty Mind ----- The song Dirty Mind is fucking BRILLIANT!!!!! When You Were Mine - if he would have released it on Purple Rain it would have been a top 10 hit. Uptown --- great rocker type song. And of course, a song called Sister - which is . . . well, about fucking his own sister.

Prince ---- I Wanna Be Your Lover - as good as any R&B song of the year. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad - awesome. Bambi - showing his rock roots.

1999 is the man's finest hour, IMO - almost flawless album with a cold and futuristic dance sound.

If guitar-based stuff is what you seek, check out Sign o' the Times or The Gold Experience. But there are tons of great songs spread across the man's entire career, so hopefully you find some sounds that you dig that branch off from the guitar-driven stuff.

His self-titled disc is also insanely underrated - Lots of fun stuff on there.

Edited by EccoTides

1999 is the man's finest hour, IMO - almost flawless album with a cold and futuristic dance sound.

If guitar-based stuff is what you seek, check out Sign o' the Times or The Gold Experience. But there are tons of great songs spread across the man's entire career, so hopefully you find some sounds that you dig that branch off from the guitar-driven stuff.

His self-titled disc is also insanely underrated - Lots of fun stuff on there.

It's not that I only want or enjoy his guitar-based stuff, it's just that I usually have an easier time getting into an artist if I start with the more guitar-based stuff and then work my way to the rest :)

Yeah I know there's been threads about him before... So I only have Purple Rain which is quite amazing. Where should I go next? Which albums would you recommend? How do they differ in sound? Which are more guitar-based? etc etc

What do you think about Prince? Do you like him? Why? Why not? Discuss.

Purple Rain is epic.