Kings Of Leon: About to be the biggest band in the world?

Marky

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Of Leon top album and singles charts

http://www.nme.com/news/kings-of-leon/40053

Kings Of Leon have topped both UK charts this week (September 28) with their single 'Sex On Fire' and fourth album 'Only By The Night'.

The 220,000 copies of the album sold give the band the second biggest first-week sales of the year, behind Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'.

Kings Of Leon also see their previous album, 'Because Of The Times', stay at Number 12 and can celebrate a new entry in the singles chart via downloads of album track 'Use Somebody', which goes in at Number 29.

And the first 2 albums are in the top 100 too.

And America still don't get them?

Edited by markyboy101

• 4 months later...
Guest deleted_19765

They may not be the biggest band in the world, but I am starting to fucking LOVE these guys. Admittedly, I only have Aha Shake Heartbreak right now, but I have been playing the fuck out of it. They make me want to dance and cry at the same time.

I liked all of their albums until Because of the Times... after that, I sort of lost interest. I wasn't impressed with Sex On Fire in the least. I dunno, it's weird... I always wondered why their previous singles like On Call which I love, didn't get the attention it deserves... yet now they finally have a single I don't like and it's one of their most popular.

Live they were very uninspiring. The crowd was terrible too. Really put me off.

The songs from Aha Shake were by far the best live (unsurprisingly) and I've still got some love for the funktastic debut but apart from that I've really not got much time for them anymore.

i haven't even heard of these squares, so fuck them.

Lil' Wayne sucks. Got that fucker?

top five of all-time.

Kings of Leon kick ass, defintely one of the best bands around. Nice to hear a band where the singer can actually sing, a great slide guitarist, a bassist that actually knows how to play a bass and uses great melodic fills and also a drummer that has great fills and can play in lots of different timings. YOu just don't get that shit these days in straight up rock.

actually, you do. you just have no idea where to look.

i haven't even heard of these squares, so fuck them.

Lil' Wayne sucks. Got that fucker?

top five of all-time.

Top 5 what? Gunmen? http://www.nme.com/news/lil-wayne/43009

I thought KOL would be a bit bland live (Songs like Molly's Chambers and Sex On Fire are very thin on the riff side of things, songs like On Call are about 2 chords for the whole thing) but watching the BRITs, and listening to the radio 1 gig I posted, I think I would like to see them. Wembley Stadium is the only way I'd get tickets, the arena tour is too in demand, but their actual sound still isn't big enough for a Stadium show of such stature.

• 8 months later...
Guest deleted_19765

Aha Shake Heartbreak ... drooling-2.gif

I've gradually realized that this album is just, for a lack of a better word or idea, a masterpiece. The rhythms, the emotion, the sparsity of sounds turned into something infinitely easy to relate to and just beautiful, make this probably the best album of the decade thus far. I have to hear more of their albums. They just really nailed it with this one.

Aha Shake Heartbreak ... drooling-2.gif

I've gradually realized that this album is just, for a lack of a better word or idea, a masterpiece. The rhythms, the emotion, the sparsity of sounds turned into something infinitely easy to relate to and just beautiful, make this probably the best album of the decade thus far. I have to hear more of their albums. They just really nailed it with this one.

I really find Caleb's vocals and his lyrics frustrating and painful to get through. I just find most of their catalogue fairly banal and derivative of every other average indie band out there - just with a "southern" twist.

Don't get me wrong, they have a handful of really great, fun tunes and that's great - but to suggest that there's any genius running in the Followill family gene pool is a big stretch.

They've really mastered the art of using impressive production techniques to achieve this self-important... almost poignant sort of feel to their music, but any closer examination reveals otherwise, IMO.

Guest deleted_19765

highvoltage pretty much just said everything I was going to.

I like "Use Somebody" quite a bit, but it all seems a bit derivative and gets on my nerves after a while. I have to be in the mood.

I think most of that is true for their last record. The U2 influences and Rock messiah undertones just don't work for them. But Aha Shake Heartbreak is just totally honest and unpretentious in my view, and the lyrics are mostly excellent. Caleb has that ability in lyric-writing to put forth a great synthesis of images and colloquialisms and somehow make them pleasing to the ear. Maybe not legitimate as words alone, but with his voice and in the music, something special. Show me something else like "Day Old Blue". And that isn't empty rhetoric either, you know very well my knowledge on current Rock is quite minimal.

I've come a long way with this record. I was at first indifferent or foggily positive about it when my friend always had it on during bake-outs. Then I listened to it a good deal on my own and came to enjoy it a lot. Now whenever I go back to it it just plays a like a perfect record. Perfect in that distilled, familiar way but still very much alive.

• 3 months later...

"Use Somebody" deserved the grammy, but I have to say that "Revelry" is a greater song.

I disagree.

when they won, it just further reinforced to me, that rock is not on life support, but in a coma where there is no hope.

that was record of the year?

there are songs on chinese democracy (which i hate) that are better, there are songs on that king's album that are better, and that song wouldn't even land in a top 20 of all songs by leon.

rock is dead.

Edited by SunnyDRE

"Use Somebody" deserved the grammy, but I have to say that "Revelry" is a greater song.

I disagree.

when they won, it just further reinforced to me, that rock is not on life support, but in a coma where there is no hope.

that was record of the year?

there are songs on chinese democracy (which i hate) that are better, there are songs on that king's album that are better, and that song wouldn't even land in a top 20 of all songs by leon.

rock is dead.

If anything, that would reinforce the fact that the Grammys are a joke. As if you had any respect for the Grammys whatsoever

Even Biffy Clyro haven't won anything yet.

Edited by kevdo242