Kings Of Leon: About to be the biggest band in the world?

Marky

Well this is my take on them:

I've read many reviews (NME, Classic Rock, Q, Rolling Stone) of their past work, and it seems like a band with much potential, who are perhaps a bit held back. Reading last week's NME special on them, the singer said that he could always sing, but he didn't explore his full vocal potential as he wasn't confident with the lyrics. But the new album apparently is a bit more of a 'no holds barred' approach to the topics within the songs.

The track 'Sex On Fire' is a phenomenal tune IMO, really, one of the best songs to come from any band for a few years.

There's plenty of new (2003-present day) bands that have risen above the 'boring indie band' tag or the like such as Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, and many other good Rock bands like Jet, but none have really had succesive great albums. All the above bands had sub-par second albums. The last KOL album explored new directions, and I think the next one might put them at the top of the ladder.

In short, I believe that by the end of the decade, they will have been the biggest and perhaps best band in the world for a long period.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good band. I like them alot. Sometimes very good. I'm seeing them at Wembley in December. I don't know when they got so big but it suddenly seemed to happen.

They're not phenomenal though and never will be, it's almost a bit sad that they could become the biggest band in the world. The only competition realistically are far more established acts.

I likem a lot, "Trani" is a hell of a song and so is "Talihina Sky". Kalebs voice is pretty interesting and he sings as he really wants to sing, and thats something i respect. But as far as "Jet" being a good band, i'de have to say "what the hell are you thinking?", they're the filthiest and most grotesc tune-stealers of all time, "Look at what you've done" is a "Imagine" copy down to every single chord and im not gonna even start on "Are you gonna be my girl"...I find them plain disgusting

Well this is my take on them:

I've read many reviews (NME, Classic Rock, Q, Rolling Stone) of their past work, and it seems like a band with much potential, who are perhaps a bit held back. Reading last week's NME special on them, the singer said that he could always sing, but he didn't explore his full vocal potential as he wasn't confident with the lyrics. But the new album apparently is a bit more of a 'no holds barred' approach to the topics within the songs.

The track 'Sex On Fire' is a phenomenal tune IMO, really, one of the best songs to come from any band for a few years.

There's plenty of new (2003-present day) bands that have risen above the 'boring indie band' tag or the like such as Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, and many other good Rock bands like Jet, but none have really had succesive great albums. All the above bands had sub-par second albums. The last KOL album explored new directions, and I think the next one might put them at the top of the ladder.

In short, I believe that by the end of the decade, they will have been the biggest and perhaps best band in the world for a long period.

I tend to agree. The new album is amazing. I think the fact that they have a bit of classic rock influence as well as the typical indie sound makes a big difference.

Randy Lahey has been raving about the new album. I like it - it's better than the last one - but I don't think it'll make them any bigger. They're already one of the more popular indie bands out there, so unless they achieve a huge mainstream smash hit single or something, I don't see this making them any larger than they already are. There was a lot of hype built up around the new album.

Randy Lahey has been raving about the new album. I like it - it's better than the last one - but I don't think it'll make them any bigger. They're already one of the more popular indie bands out there, so unless they achieve a huge mainstream smash hit single or something, I don't see this making them any larger than they already are. There was a lot of hype built up around the new album.

Sex On Fire has hit number one on all the good video charts in the UK (NME, Q, MTV2), and is all the rage on those radio stations and XFM. It's getting to be really succesful. I think one of the NME reviewers said the song sounds like it should be shouted from the mountain tops.

It's released tomorrow, so we shall see ;)

EDIT: HMV.co.uk list it as one of their bestselling singles for preorder, hope it sells well! I shall probably get the 7".

Edited by markyboy101

They are just part of a late aftershock from the garage-revival in 03-05. My girlfriend love them and I have kind of grown fond of them after a while, but I know they will never be the biggest band in the world. By next summer, some other new-retro-garage-hipster band will be "the next big thing" in the festivals.

Wiki was wrong, it turns out the single was released last monday. Sex On Fire just got to number 1 in the UK!

The top ten UK singles are:

1. Kings Of Leon – 'Sex On Fire'

2. Katy Perry – 'I Kissed A Girl'

3. Cliff Richard – 'Thank You For A Lifetime'

4. Pussycat Dolls – 'When I Grow Up'

5. Rihanna – 'Disturbia'

6. Eric Prydz – 'Pjanoo'

7. The Script – 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved'

8. Madcon – 'Beggin''

9. Kid Rock – 'All Summer Long'

10. Biffy Clyro – 'Mountains'

The top ten UK albums are:

1. Metallica – 'Death Magnetic'

2. Glasvegas – 'Glasvegas'

3. Rihanna – 'Good Girl Gone Bad'

4. The Verve – 'Forth'

5. Duffy – 'Rockferry'

6. The Script – 'The Script'

7. Elbow – 'The Seldom Seen Kid'

8. Michael Jackson – 'King Of Pop'

9. Abba – 'Gold: The Greatest Hits'

10. Coldplay – 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'

The top ten UK singles are:

1. Kings Of Leon – 'Sex On Fire'

2. Katy Perry – 'I Kissed A Girl'

3. Cliff Richard – 'Thank You For A Lifetime'

4. Pussycat Dolls – 'When I Grow Up'

5. Rihanna – 'Disturbia'

6. Eric Prydz – 'Pjanoo'

7. The Script – 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved'

8. Madcon – 'Beggin''

9. Kid Rock – 'All Summer Long'

10. Biffy Clyro – 'Mountains'

The top ten UK albums are:

1. Metallica – 'Death Magnetic'

2. Glasvegas – 'Glasvegas'

3. Rihanna – 'Good Girl Gone Bad'

4. The Verve – 'Forth'

5. Duffy – 'Rockferry'

6. The Script – 'The Script'

7. Elbow – 'The Seldom Seen Kid'

8. Michael Jackson – 'King Of Pop'

9. Abba – 'Gold: The Greatest Hits'

10. Coldplay – 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'

"wake up America!"

:book:

Sex On Fire has hit number one on all the good video charts in the UK (NME, Q, MTV2), and is all the rage on those radio stations and XFM. It's getting to be really succesful. I think one of the NME reviewers said the song sounds like it should be shouted from the mountain tops.

EDIT: HMV.co.uk list it as one of their bestselling singles for preorder, hope it sells well! I shall probably get the 7".

I think "Use Somebody" is tonnes better. I love the vocals.

I think "Use Somebody" is tonnes better. I love the vocals.

Agreed. Potentially my favourite on the album.