Best Queen Albums?

EccoTides

I've got Night at the Opera and I really don't like it. Am I right in giving up on liking this band? Or do they have some sort of less overblown, more gritty stuff that I might find interesting?

The thing is with Queen, that you got to force yourself to listen to it for a bit. I did, and now I absolutely love all their material. They've done so many different styles and each album is different from the next. Their 80's album are more simple rock/pop than the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTh8Op-wmE- I Want It All from The Miracle, 1989.

A good thing to start is watching their live shows. Live At Wembley for example. Their live stuff is superior to the studio, way more gritty and rockier.

Also, check out the new Queen+Paul Rodgers album The Cosmos Rocks, which is more simple and straight-ahead rock/blues.

Hope that helped.

-DW

Might be worth starting with live at wembley 86....brillant.

My personal fave queen albums

The game: big hits like another one bites the dust and crazy thing called love but also has sail away sweet sister and dragon attack (funky riffs abound!!)

News of the world and innuendo

AVOID...hot space, the works and flash gordon....terrible albums

Edited by Downinahole

I've got Night at the Opera and I really don't like it. Am I right in giving up on liking this band? Or do they have some sort of less overblown, more gritty stuff that I might find interesting?

Try the self titled debut from 1973, particularly the tracks Great King Rat and Liar. Let me know what you think.

• 1 month later...

My suggestion for anyone trying to get into Queen is not to get their greatest hits or any compilations. They were musically the most talented band ever, their entire catalogue is diverse and virtuose, not to mention they all wrote amazing lyrics (except for maybe Roger Taylor, but who can resist I'M IN LOVE WITH MY CAAARRRR :D )

Sheer Heart Attack

A Night at the Opera

News of the World

That's my top 3, the hits are great, but once you realize what an imaginative and talented band they were, you realize they were the most consistent band in the 1970's, producing the greatest string of untouchable albums from Queen-The Game. As I said the hits are great, but this band is all about the gems.

Edited by pain cake