One of the best live performances I've seen in ages

Estranged Reality

Link to the video on YouTube.

His first performance (Love Lockdown) was bad, but this is pretty awesome. The energy he puts into the end of the song sent chills down my spine - ironically enough the same sort of chills I used to get watching some of the live videos of Axl when he'd really be getting into a song and you could tell he was just giving it his all, emotionally and physically.

You may not like the music but you have to admit, this dude's giving it his all on stage. I was really impressed by this because the album wasn't exactly my favourite (although it's grown on me a lot).

Edited by Estranged Reality

Link to the video on YouTube.

His first performance (Love Lockdown) was bad, but this is pretty awesome. The energy he puts into the end of the song sent chills down my spine - ironically enough the same sort of chills I used to get watching some of the live videos of Axl when he'd really be getting into a song and you could tell he was just giving it his all, emotionally and physically.

You may not like the music but you have to admit, this dude's giving it his all on stage. I was really impressed by this because the album wasn't exactly my favourite (although it's grown on me a lot).

He's talented and all but I've never been able to get into his music beyond a few of his hits. I feel like I'm watching a gap commercial when he performs.

I'm not a huge rap fan. Between 808s and the new Eminem album (if it's as good as his last album) might change that.

Not to be a smartass or anything, but I wouldn't really qualify 808s as rap - at all. It's got a couple songs with r&b style singing, but that's about as close as it gets. It took a while to grow on me, but I'm starting to warm up to it, as well as the whole Autotune thing. Eminem's album should be cool; I'm really looking forward to Jay-Z's as well.

The link in the first post is dead but the video is up on Kanye's blog, here (no one's mentioned which song it was in the thread, I just assumed this was it).

ironically enough the same sort of chills I used to get watching some of the live videos of Axl when he'd really be getting into a song and you could tell he was just giving it his all, emotionally and physically.

I actually agree with this... I didn't think I'd agree with you when I read your post but after watching the video I do agree, it's a great performance. I haven't heard anything from Kanye besides a couple of singles but I'm definitely gonna check out 808s & Heartbreak because of this performance (and because I'm really liking the song).

Edited by Soulseller

I'm not a huge rap fan. Between 808s and the new Eminem album (if it's as good as his last album) might change that.

Not to be a smartass or anything, but I wouldn't really qualify 808s as rap - at all. It's got a couple songs with r&b style singing, but that's about as close as it gets. It took a while to grow on me, but I'm starting to warm up to it, as well as the whole Autotune thing. Eminem's album should be cool; I'm really looking forward to Jay-Z's as well.

It's like half singing, half rapping in a lot of places (example: the verses of Heartless). It's a nice in between. Kanye is the man. Definitely one of the best recent exports of Chicago music.

Are we talking about that SNL performance?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YprR29vukZ4

They seem to be discussing the first performance (Love Lockdown), which was pretty bad. But they are misreporting the controversy and seem to be misunderstanding what they're even talking about. He wasn't lip syncing. His voice was all over the place, totally off key at certain parts, and he even stopped mid-song for a random segment from another song. The reason his voice was so off is because he uses a microphone with an attached Auto-tune effect but it didn't seem to be working consistently, at least on the first performance, which made it sound weird and "glitchy." The Auto-tune effect is used a lot on modern music (it's on Chinese Democracy) but Kanye is using it to an extreme. I didn't like it at first because it gives the songs a mechanical edge, but it's grown on me a lot, and when I see him using it in live settings like this, I start to understand why he saw potential in it. It certainly gives the vocals an interesting effect.

The link in the first post is dead but the video is up on Kanye's blog, here (no one's mentioned which song it was in the thread, I just assumed this was it).

Yeah, that's it. :)

Edited by Estranged Reality

Are we talking about that SNL performance?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YprR29vukZ4

They seem to be discussing the first performance (Love Lockdown), which was pretty bad. But they are misreporting the controversy and seem to be misunderstanding what they're even talking about. He wasn't lip syncing. His voice was all over the place, totally off key at certain parts, and he even stopped mid-song for a random segment from another song. The reason his voice was so off is because he uses a microphone with an attached Auto-tune effect but it didn't seem to be working consistently, at least on the first performance, which made it sound weird and "glitchy." The Auto-tune effect is used a lot on modern music (it's on Chinese Democracy) but Kanye is using it to an extreme. I didn't like it at first because it gives the songs a mechanical edge, but it's grown on me a lot, and when I see him using it in live settings like this, I start to understand why he saw potential in it. It certainly gives the vocals an interesting effect.

Yeah, that's it. :)

Ok Kanye uses it WAAAY too much. It sounds horrible. I watched the performance of Heartless, you didn't convert me. He's terrible. Don't even compare him to Axl. He's talentless. He can't sing or write lyrics. He uses autotune as a crutch and it doesn't help. And the lyrics? What was that Gucci & Pinnochio shit.

Kanye is what is wrong with music.

You could make the same autotone argument against Axl. Don't go down that road.

It should be noted that Kanye is using autotone as an effect as much as he needs it for his voice. I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like he sings calculatedly off-key to get the effect from the autotone, but when it breaks down, he's left singing off key without the desired effect. That's just my guess.

I still really like the performance of Heartless. To see what Love Lockdown is really like live, check out his performances either from Kimmel or Ellen. Both were great, especially the Ellen one.

It should be noted that Kanye is using autotone as an effect as much as he needs it for his voice. I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like he sings calculatedly off-key to get the effect from the autotone, but when it breaks down, he's left singing off key without the desired effect. That's just my guess.

I still really like the performance of Heartless. To see what Love Lockdown is really like live, check out his performances either from Kimmel or Ellen. Both were great, especially the Ellen one.

You think he sings off key on purpose to get that effect? You're brain washed.

And no, Axl's voice doesn't sound nearly as altered as Kanyes. Not even close. But nice try buddy. It's obvious that Axl's voice is edited like hell but he still sounds like Axl. Kanye sounds like a robot. I'm going down that road, motherfucker, deal with it.

Umm, no, it makes perfect sense. When using an audio-processor you apply that distorted, electronic feel to your voice by singing slightly out of tune. Kanye is not the best singer around. He knows that. Though, that is not why he uses this technique. Here, it's obviously used in an aesthetic sense. Kanye has gotten into electronic music heavily (since his duet w/Daft Punk) and has since found a liking to a compressed type of sound juxtaposed with more organic elements.

What better way to control these electronic elements than by applying them to your own voice (something controlled by the self)?

Besides, I find it hard to believe that you've read a significant amount of his lyrics considering you called him a 'talentless' writer. Can you honestly compound a legitimate opinion based on what you've read/ heard?

I would say no.

Moreover, "Pinocchio Story" is awesome.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Umm, no, it makes perfect sense. When using an audio-processor you apply that distorted, electronic feel to your voice by singing slightly out of tune. Kanye is not the best singer around. He knows that. Though, that is not why he uses this technique. Here, it's obviously used in an aesthetic sense. Kanye has gotten into electronic music heavily (since his duet w/Daft Punk) and has since found a liking to a compressed type of sound juxtaposed with more organic elements.

What better way to control these electronic elements than by applying them to your own voice (something controlled by the self)?

Besides, I find it hard to believe that you've read a significant amount of his lyrics considering you called him a 'talentless' writer. Can you honestly compound a legitimate opinion based on what you've read/ heard?

I would say no.

Moreover, "Pinocchio Story" is awesome.

Thank you for saving me the effort. Perfectly stated.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffUOTiS2Ao

Please tell me this isn't the performance you're talking about because this video is awful.

That's the one we're talking about when we say that the autotune didn't work and he sounded terrible. Heartless was the song that he kicked the living piss out of.

EDIT: Indy, thanks for responding for me while I worked on my final paper. That's exactly what I would have said.

Edited by axlslash

I bet he tore the sound man a new asshole after "love lockdown."

It was a pretty awful performance, although I admire him for continuing on through it and still giving it his all. He didn't just stop and blame technical difficulties a la Ashlee Simpson, although I suppose it would be more difficult in her case to continue singing when you've been exposed for having lip synched through your set... :rofl-lol: