New Strokes album in '09

Estranged Reality

Probably my most anticipated upcoming record. Supposedly they're heading to the studio in February to begin recording for a summer release. Should be wicked. Not much has been reported since early this year but all the bandmembers seem to be ready for another record. I was just listening to the Is This It? demos again last night and earlier today... I don't know what it is about them, but there's something I just love about their sound. The guitar solos are messy but so is everything, really -- in that way it reminds me of Appetite; they have a very lo-fi, gritty sound. People say it's like the Velvet Underground, which I can hear a bit, and they did a great cover of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side, but I do think it also owes a lot to some of the gritty sounds a la the Stones, GN'R, etc. (Slash and Matt were in their Somedays video too, and they thanked Sorum in their second album's liner notes, so I guess they're fans.)

is one of the best songs of all-time, IMO. I never get sick of it. Awesome riff, great vocals, fun lyrics ("I wanna steal your innocence / To me my life it just don't make any sense"). Edited by Estranged Reality

The Strokes are cool because they define the joyous abandon of playing music in a rock band. Their first record has a spontaneously realized quality that gives it this raw charm. They're always straddling the line between the abrasive and melodic, not giving much thought to anything in between. That's entirely to their credit, as they're one of the only bands of their generation to capture the positive spirit of rock n' roll. Who doesn't love a group of musicians who just plug in their instruments and give you three minutes of anthemic bliss? They seemed to have been stuck in limbo after the Impressions album came and went, so I'm relieved to know they're finally back in the studio to give it another go..

The synthy riff in Room on Fire's "12:51" is the best sounding thing to ever come out of a guitar..

-Kickingthehabit

Guest deleted_19765

The Strokes are pretty cool.

I have to start living in my time. Next time there's a major release I ought to get, I'm appointing you to personally remind me. Reading your top albums of 2008 thread made me feel ashamed, I think the only ones I have from this year are Paper Trail and Chinese Democracy.

The Strokes are cool because they define the joyous abandon of playing music in a rock band. Their first record has a spontaneously realized quality that gives it this raw charm. They're always straddling the line between the abrasive and melodic, not giving much thought to anything in between. That's entirely to their credit, as they're one of the only bands of their generation to capture the positive spirit of rock n' roll. Who doesn't love a group of musicians who just plug in their instruments and give you three minutes of anthemic bliss? They seemed to have been stuck in limbo after the Impressions album came and went, so I'm relieved to know they're finally back in the studio to give it another go..

The synthy riff in Room on Fire's "12:51" is the best sounding thing to ever come out of a guitar..

-Kickingthehabit

can you type this stuff without laughing?

if i saw you in real life, i'd love to tell you to get real.

-Kickingthehabit

Well it's certainly a well written opinion. I have to admit, it is a little over the top for an internet forum. Reads like something a journalist would write.

I may get an album of theirs, to see what it's all about. Nothing that Ive heard (A few singles) has really amazed me. Last Nite is a tune, but very poorly produced (Unless the version on the video is like that, to go with the video's idea, similar to the Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor')

Edited by markyboy101

-Kickingthehabit

Well it's certainly a well written opinion. I have to admit, it is a little over the top for an internet forum. Reads like something a journalist would write.

Oh shut it. I welcome those that take an extra few minutes to write a coherent and well thought out post.

I thought First Impressions of Earth was a little weaker than Room on Fire and Is This It, so i'm hoping the new album will be something special.

-Kickingthehabit

Oh shut it. I welcome those that take an extra few minutes to write a coherent and well thought out post.

Agreed.

I may get an album of theirs, to see what it's all about. Nothing that Ive heard (A few singles) has really amazed me. Last Nite is a tune, but very poorly produced (Unless the version on the video is like that, to go with the video's idea, similar to the Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor')

The whole first album sounds like it was recorded in a basement... it's great :D

-Kickingthehabit

Agreed.

that dude should write for pitchfork. i mean, his post isn't too far away from this:

This is an emotional, psychological experience. Kid A sounds like a clouded brain trying to recall an alien abduction. It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.

seriously?

Edited by stacks on deck

-Kickingthehabit

I thought First Impressions of Earth was a little weaker than Room on Fire and Is This It, so i'm hoping the new album will be something special.

Shut it? I wasn't really negative in my post. I just said it is a little over the top for an internet forum.

-Kickingthehabit

Agreed.

that dude should write for pitchfork. i mean, his post isn't too far away from this:

This is an emotional, psychological experience. Kid A sounds like a clouded brain trying to recall an alien abduction. It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.

seriously?

Well, the whole alien abduction is shitty poetry, but

It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.

That's exactly what happened. They threw OK Computer out of the window and started completely new, and all their records since then have been like that.

You must be new?

When I grace this forum with one of my posts, I rehearse it for several minutes in a pseudo-British accent and casually asphyxiate myself with a lavender scented handkerchief. Please do not confuse me with a simple knuckle-dragging habitué who cannot make the effort to rise above wheelchair adjectives. Those egregious displays of imbecility have been the misfortune of this messageboard for far too many years..

The day I take intellectual cues from a peasant is the day I bludgeon myself to death with a Lil Wayne album. Now hop in your spaceship and make it rain elsewhere, Oliver Twist..

-Kickingthehabit

You must be new?

When I grace this forum with one of my posts, I rehearse it for several minutes in a pseudo-British accent and casually asphyxiate myself with a lavender scented handkerchief. Please do not confuse me with a simple knuckle-dragging habitué who cannot make the effort to rise above wheelchair adjectives. Those egregious displays of imbecility have been the misfortune of this messageboard for far too many years..

The day I take intellectual cues from a peasant is the day I bludgeon myself to death with a Lil Wayne album. Now hop in your spaceship and make it rain elsewhere, Oliver Twist..

-Kickingthehabit

2/10.

You must be new?

-Kickingthehabit

If only it was funny.