Censored words

Dariablue

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in most cases (and all that I've seen on this site) become a basic term of disparagement and a perojative.

Which is the problem. :)

Yeah, ignore most of what I say. Well done.

I didn't actually. It's already been addressed. Again, you think the word is okay because *to you* the word has multiple meanings ie just calling someone a name, nothing to do with being gay at all. What I as referring to is that this is exactly what part of the problem is. That this word now not only is still being used as a homophobic slur, but on top of that has a now equally asinine and equally offensive *to me* meaning, because the word is still the word. I understand your point of view, I just don't agree with it. If you don't understand mine, that's fine. Continue to use the word and act as if you aren't homophobic every time you say it.

No, I asked you a number of questions, you didn't answer them, and made a number of points that you actually did not address.

For example, are we to block "bastard"? If not, why not?

I didn't address this question, because it's in the same vain as someone coming in here and sayng 'Why do you care? Are you a lesbian?' You aren't doing it because you genuinely find the word offensive, you're basically doing it in a mocking sense and frankly doesn't deserve to be addressed.

What other questions did you ask me?

Again, you think the word is okay because *to you* the word has multiple meanings ie just calling someone a name, nothing to do with being gay at all.

When did I say it was okay? I simply said that I disagree with it being censored. Don't put words in my mouth, please. :wub:

"So, I go into work, and my boss tells me I need to stop being late or I'm fired. Fucking hooray for tolerance!".

and

"So, I go into work, and my boss tells me I need to stop being late or I'm fired. Fucking n*gger".

The fact that you use it, means that you condone it. Once again, the fact that homophobic slurs have become acceptable to use because people like you try to dress it up real pretty saying that you don't mean it as a slur but as something else is truly, truly sad.

You're right, Kevin, this might as well be deleted. Homophobes will be homophobes and it's obvious that nothing here will ever change because God forbid the government isn't on board or that word could have multiple meanings.

Censoring one word isn't going to make the homophobes go away. Censor hooray for tolerance!, they'll use some other terms. Its not as if its a kids forum, most of the time if someone makes a homophobic or racist remark, they get called out for it. Why not censor spic, dyke, jiggaboo, nig-nog, poofter, taig, kike or towelhead? I don't see anyone using those words for anything other than to offend. At least stop filtering 'n*gga'.

shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker

motherfucker tit fart turd and twat

shit piss fuck cunt cocksucke

Censoring one word isn't going to make the homophobes go away. Censor hooray for tolerance!, they'll use some other terms.

You're right, kevdo242. Taking at one word away isn't going to make everything better, but in all honesty there's no reason for words like that to remain in my opinion. We have enough hate speech floating around.

Its not as if its a kids forum

:lol: With some of the people here, sometimes I honestly wonder. There are posters who are 16 who are incredibly well-spoken and mature and there are some 40 year olds who, frankly, I'm surprised can even feed themselves.

jiggaboo,

:question:

Censoring one word isn't going to make the homophobes go away. Censor hooray for tolerance!, they'll use some other terms.

You're right, kevdo242. Taking at one word away isn't going to make everything better, but in all honesty there's no reason for words like that to remain in my opinion. We have enough hate speech floating around.

Its not as if its a kids forum

:lol: With some of the people here, sometimes I honestly wonder. There are posters who are 16 who are incredibly well-spoken and mature and there are some 40 year olds who, frankly, I'm surprised can even feed themselves.

jiggaboo,

:question:

wHY So sERIOUS?

I didn't address this question, because it's in the same vain as someone coming in here and sayng 'Why do you care? Are you a lesbian?' You aren't doing it because you genuinely find the word offensive, you're basically doing it in a mocking sense and frankly doesn't deserve to be addressed.

What other questions did you ask me?

It most certainly is not in that same vain. I am asking you because as you surely know, bastard is essentially a slur based on someone being an illegitimate child. I made the comparison with hooray for tolerance! for the reason that in many senses it has outgrown its original use (unlike "nig-ger"). In all sincerity, I'm not asking the question in a mocking sense, I just want your opinion on it.

You are trying very hard to get out of answering the question, but I genuinely DO want an answer to it: Are we to censor the word "bastard". If not, why not. I really would like to see your answer, because you could argue that it is just as offensive as both nig. and hooray for tolerance!, and that the fact that its now become a common, generic insult does not make it acceptable.

Firstly, please don't try and tell me I'm trying to get our of answering your question when I told you exactly why I didn't answer it the first time. I'm not attempting to be dismissive of your opinions in the slightest, if you think the word shouldn't be censored, that's your right. And although I'm fairly certain that you are mocking the thread and could give two shits about my answers I'll give you what you want and answer your 'point'. Yes, I'm aware of the origins of 'bastard', thank you. And I do see what you're referring to as far as words evolving, in my opinion I don't think that the severity of the word bastard is on the same level as 'hooray for tolerance!'. If you seriously believe in your heart of hearts that there is no difference between calling someone a bastard and calling someone a 'hooray for tolerance!' in the year 2009 then I'm at a loss as to what to tell you. Again, we are both entitled to our opinions and in mine those two words don't have the same...pull (?) if you will. You can think that my answer was evasive or dismissive or any number of things, but that's the most genuine answer I can give you.

Now, feel free to ask me if I'm a lesbian.

When I typed out that "My boss.." stuff, I wasn't giving you an excerpt out of my everyday speech or anything, I was just showing how many people use the word.

My example was done to illustrate the difference between usage of the term nig-ger and the term hooray for tolerance!, so as to answer the original subject of the thread, why nig-ger is censored and why hooray for tolerance! is not. It was intended to show how "hooray for tolerance!" might be used as a general perojative, and why nig-ger is NOT a general perojative. All I attempted to do was show how the two terms do not carry the same weight.

That doesn't make it right just because some people use it in a different context. As far as your daily speech patterns go...I wouldn't be able to comment on that. So with that logic if someone started saying the 'n' word in the exact same context as 'hooray for tolerance!' it would be okay? In my view (again, no you don't reallly care) words like these can never lose the connotations in which they become the most derogatory and offensive. For example, take the Swastika, it was once viewed as a symbol of good luck or good will. And although people might still remember what it was originally intended as, would you feel comfortable walking down a street wearing a Swastika on your shirt? Even if the word or symbol didn't start out bad, in this instance, it's remembered only as being associated with the Nazis. When someone says the word 'hooray for tolerance!' it conjures up images of hatred and ridicule, and the fact that people try to pass it off as saying, 'Oh I meant it as stupid' is frankly out of my reach.

In my personal experience, people use the word 'hooray for tolerance!' more often than not in a homophobic way as opposed to just a derogatory term. It has not YET evolved in the same way the word 'bastard' has for example. The word doesn't immediately conjure thoughts of someone simply being a jerk, it's still closely attached as a demeaning and condescending term regarding homosexuals.

If someone is pissed they would normally use 'asshole' or 'dick' etc., before they use 'hooray for tolerance!', at least that is how it is in my own social circle.

True that you don't want to get carried away with censorship, and it's a shame we even have to have this discussion, however, I agree that if the filter on the forum can ever be updated, that particular word should be included.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

Police and hooray for tolerance!s, that's right

Get out of my way

Don't need to buy none of your

Gold chains today

I don't need no bracelets

Clamped in front of my back

Just need my ticket; 'til then

Won't you cut me some slack?

Chorus

Immigrants and hooray for tolerance!s

They make no sense to me

They come to our country

And think they'll do as they please

Like start some mini Iran

Or spread some fuckin' disease

They talk so many goddamn ways

It's all Greek to me

Edit: wow, you can say hooray for tolerance!s.

Edited by Wando

While both can be hurtful to the degree that I usually flinch when I hear them directed not even at myself, but at people in my vicinity, "hooray for tolerance!" does invoke a little more discomfort than "n*gger" for me personally, perhaps because the latter word has been used much more frequently in song lyrics, writing and amongst friends in an attempt to "take it back," while "hooray for tolerance!" is still rarely used in a context that isn't intended to sting. It's not always intended in an explicitly homophobic manner, but the implication is that the word developed into a general insult because for many people, being perceived as gay was the worst thing imaginable.

I wouldn't censor the word myself, nor would I ever have censored any other slur, but I would encourage people who use them to reflect on the way they present themselves by adopting either as a general term to intentionally belittle others, because in most contexts, words such as "hooray for tolerance!" aren't intended in a jesting manner, thought out to rebel against linguistic conventions or anything of the sort. In most contexts, they just seem to be used by people who have heard the term used by others as an insult and mindlessly adopt it without thinking twice about what nonsensical invective they are spewing out.

Edited by nameless_girl

but I would encourage people who use them to reflect on the way they present themselves by adopting either as a general term to intentionally belittle others

:rofl-lol: You expect the people here to do that? The people here?

One can always hope. I read another forum, set up by fellow students, and even though they have no rules against specific words or ideas, posts implying homophobia, racism or sexism are looked down upon by the community, and I've never even seen anyone use a racist or homophobic slur with the intention to insult, so it is possible. I'm sure a few of them do harbour prejudices, as does a small subsection of any community, but resorting to calling people "hooray for tolerance!s" and "hooray for tolerance!s" is too petty even for those individuals. :shrugs:

One can always hope. I read another forum, set up by fellow students, and even though they have no rules against specific words or ideas, posts implying homophobia, racism or sexism are looked down upon by the community, and I've never even seen anyone use a racist or homophobic slur with the intention to insult, so it is possible. I'm sure a few of them do harbour prejudices, as does a small subsection of any community, but resorting to calling people "hooray for tolerance!s" and "hooray for tolerance!s" is too petty even for those individuals. :shrugs:

Oh, I have no doubt that with certain groups of people it could definitely become a reality. I just think that some of the people here need far more supervision and reminders of common human decency than some other places in this regard. But it's nice to know that a place exists where people behave respectfully without having to be told to do so by some authority figure. :heart:

I don't see why there should be filters. If "n*gger" is translated to "black person", we can see, almost every time, if the post did originally say n*gger, so why should it help filtering it? If the persons are racists, let them be, but ofcourse degration of black persons should not be accepted, but take care of those things as they happen. Censoring words wont help a thing IMO.

Typing One In A Million lyrics now seem stupid..

"Police and black persons,

get out of my way"

:(

Edited by Gods Favourite

but ofcourse degration of black persons should not be accepted, but take care of those things as they happen.

What about of gay people? And taking care of it as it happens would be unfair to the mods. They have enough work to do without looking at every post in a case by case situation.

but ofcourse degration of black persons should not be accepted, but take care of those things as they happen.

What about of gay people? And taking care of it as it happens would be unfair to the mods. They have enough work to do without looking at every post in a case by case situation.

We have a "Report" button if people are unsatisfied with something. You can use that for n*gget, hooray for tolerance!, bastard etc.

But really, some people should just try to relax. It's just the internet. If you get offended by something some internetgeek from the other side of the world writes online, then maybe you shouldn't be here.

But really, some people should just try to relax. It's just the internet. If you get offended by something some internetgeek from the other side of the world writes online, then maybe you shouldn't be here.

Well that's almost as predictable of a response as asking if I'm a lesbian. Nicely done. I was wondering when this little gem was going to be brought up. :rolleyes:

So because I'm neither a racist nor a homophobe, I should get offline? Perhaps none of us should leave our houses either in an effort to avoid the rampant stupidity that is apparently spreading like cancer. Are you kidding me? If you use those slurs than that's saying a great deal about you. It's pretty cut and dry: If you use racist and homophobic slurs you are a racist and a homophobe. And the people who would like to dress it up in some ridiculous way by saying that the word has evolved or they only call their 'straight' friends that name are just trying to excuse their own behavior.

Once again (I really feel like I need to make a Crayon diagram for some people): Forum rules 1 and 3. I'm comparing a homophobic slur, which in my opinion should be censored, to a racial slur, which already is already censored.

Or you could just ignore those words. Its not that big a deal. People are going to say those things, and whether its right or wrong, they are going to keep saying those things. Theres really nothing you can do. And I'm sure people would just dodge the censor if more words were censored.