"Cherry Pie" or "Talk Dirty to Me"

John Bonham

"Cherry Pie" or "Talk Dirty to Me"  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whaddya say?

CHERRY PIE

TALK DIRTY TO ME

"September 10, 1990: Warrant releases 'Cherry Pie.' In a CD review for my college newspaper, I call this record 'stellar.' It is three years before I am allowed to review another album."

"We in the Mid-West first heard them (Poison) in the Spring of 1987 on AOR stations like Fargo's Q-98; the song was 'Talk Dirty to Me' which - if my memory serves me correctly - was the greatest song anyone had ever recorded up to that point in history.

-Chuck Klosterman

Edited by bonhamfan1

Neither. Both bands were a mistake that time crushed. Cheesy pop metal posers..

Oh yes, and I'm sure you listen to the truest music around, don't you? You claim time "crushed" both, but Poison is still very much relevant in today's music, whether it be for Bret Michael's work in reality TV or not, and I'd be willing to bet that Warrant wouldn't be as forgotten as they are if Jani Lane hadn't left the band in the 90's. And you show your ignorance to Warrant calling them "cheesy pop metal posers", as their first album was the only one that should actually be considered Pop Metal. Listen to "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and tell me that's "Pop Metal". It's Hard Rock at its finest.

Oh yes, and I'm sure you listen to the truest music around, don't you? You claim time "crushed" both, but Poison is still very much relevant in today's music, whether it be for Bret Michael's work in reality TV or not, and I'd be willing to bet that Warrant wouldn't be as forgotten as they are if Jani Lane hadn't left the band in the 90's. And you show your ignorance to Warrant calling them "cheesy pop metal posers", as their first album was the only one that should actually be considered Pop Metal. Listen to "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and tell me that's "Pop Metal". It's Hard Rock at its finest.

ya dont say...

Poison is still very much relevant in today's music

Are you serious? :lol:

Not very much as in they're still super popular, but they're still selling. Their Greatest Hits in '06 got into the Top 20, their cover album got in the top 30, and their live DVD hit #8 on the Music Video charts. That's good for a Hair Metal band today.

Oh but thats where you're wrong. A musician being known through TV and not through music collaboration or any actual music output just shows how useless and untalented he is. Poison never has and never will be talented. You listen to their music? Anthem choruses coupled with catchy hooks and sing along tunes. That's just stupid and the fact people in the 80's loved them just shows what a messed up decade it was.

Warrant is just as stupid. They rode the pop metal bandwagon and got lucky. Uncle Tom's Cabin is mediocre, and the fact it's the best they could ever get just shows why they were a waste of time and space. Come to think of it Motley Crue were the only band that came out that actually had any talent. Dr. Feelgood and their self titled album are just tight musically.

Sorry bout the rant, just find bolding fans of 80's hair metal annoying.

Oh but thats where you're wrong. A musician being known through TV and not through music collaboration or any actual music output just shows how useless and untalented he is. Poison never has and never will be talented. You listen to their music? Anthem choruses coupled with catchy hooks and sing along tunes. That's just stupid and the fact people in the 80's loved them just shows what a messed up decade it was.

Warrant is just as stupid. They rode the pop metal bandwagon and got lucky. Uncle Tom's Cabin is mediocre, and the fact it's the best they could ever get just shows why they were a waste of time and space. Come to think of it Motley Crue were the only band that came out that actually had any talent. Dr. Feelgood and their self titled album are just tight musically.

Sorry bout the rant, just find bolding fans of 80's hair metal annoying.

I'm not just a fan of 80's Hair Metal, I enjoy all the types of Rock and Metal there are (minus Death Metal), but your argument is made up of nothing. How can you even measure how talented someone is? Doesn't it take talent to write a catchy song? You're claiming that most huge bands of the last 20 years are talentless with this "anthem choruses coupled with catchy hooks and sing along tunes. That's just stupid...". I'll agree that Warrant started out riding the Hair Metal bandwagon, but to deny their talent based on their genre is just ridiculous. Their guitarist is plenty talented. There were many incredible musicians to come out of Hair Metal. Did you even hear of the bassist Billy Sheehan from Mr. Big? Yeah, he got his starts in Hair Metal, and he's definitely in the top 5 bassists of all time. Paul Gilbert, known as an incredible guitarist with the bands Racer X and Mr. Big, also, started in the Hair Metal genre. Yngwie Malmsteen had a Glam Metal look and sound. Dokken, who is a Hair Metal band, is far from talentless. Listen to their Under Lock And Key, Breaking The Chains, and Tooth And Nail albums. And George Lynch from Dokken is a magnificent guitarist. And how you can bash every band in the genre (though I'd be willing to wager some money your ignorance is high in the genre) is talentless and mock their use of big choruses while sighting Dr. Feelgood as a good album is beyond me. It was the stereotypical album of the time. At least if you're going to sight a musically tight album from Crue, sight something like Shout At The Devil or Too Fast For Love.

And tell me, how are Grunge musicians any more talented than Hair Metal musicians? I'd say as far as technical prowess goes, Hair Metal sweeps the Grunge musicians in guitarists and vocal ranges, while Grunge probably has an average better bassist and drummer, though that's just an opinion. Also, there are trend-jumpers for every genre of music, just like there is for Brit Pop, Indie Rock, Grunge, Post Grunge, Alternative Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock of the 70's, and the Rock from the 60's and early 70's, as well as Hair Metal.

:rofl-lol:

And tell me, how are Grunge musicians any more talented than Hair Metal musicians? I'd say as far as technical prowess goes, Hair Metal sweeps the Grunge musicians in guitarists and vocal ranges, while Grunge probably has an average better bassist and drummer, though that's just an opinion. Also, there are trend-jumpers for every genre of music, just like there is for Brit Pop, Indie Rock, Grunge, Post Grunge, Alternative Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock of the 70's, and the Rock from the 60's and early 70's, as well as Hair Metal.

Because technical prowess doesn't instantly equate to good music. Look past it and you'll see that the overwhelming majority of music from that genre is pretty superficial.

I'm not being a snob - I rock out at the pub like everybody else does, it's fun music... But it's not something i'd call "good" or attempt to defend in a debate - nor would I claim it to be at all relevant in today's music scene. Hair Metal hasn't had the lasting impact that grunge did on the world's youth in the 90's.

Good on you for sticking up for what you like though.

:rofl-lol:

Because technical prowess doesn't instantly equate to good music. Look past it and you'll see that the overwhelming majority of music from that genre is pretty superficial.

I'm not being a snob - I rock out at the pub like everybody else does, it's fun music... But it's not something i'd call "good" or attempt to defend in a debate - nor would I claim it to be at all relevant in today's music scene. Hair Metal hasn't had the lasting impact that grunge did on the world's youth in the 90's.

Good on you for sticking up for what you like though.

I've explained what I meant with the Poison comment and people still quote it?

And I know technical prowess doesn't always equate to good music, but it does take talent, which is what I was defending, the talent of these guys.

Hair Metal hasn't had the lasting impact that grunge did on the world's youth in the 90's.

I have to disagree with that, seems like Grunge only lasted a few years and had no way near

the popularity as hair metal.

Maybe VH1 classic will start a "Grunge Mania" soon to help them out a little.

Hair Metal hasn't had the lasting impact that grunge did on the world's youth in the 90's.

I have to disagree with that, seems like Grunge only lasted a few years and had no way near

the popularity as hair metal.

Maybe VH1 classic will start a "Grunge Mania" soon to help them out a little.

Grunge was a movement that you can still hear in a lot of ways in bands today. Music is so fragmented now that it's difficult to see it, but they had more of an impact on indie bands than hair metal did. People look back on the 80's and cringe, whereas Kurt is considered an icon for providing music that inspired youth that were sick of image over substance.