Just bought a guitar

I had been wanting to get an electric guitar for a while, and finally went and got one on eBay for $100 with an amp. I figured it would let me know whether or not playing the guitar would be something for me or not, and if I do enjoy it and will continue to play I will get something decent.

I have really hit a wall with chord changes though. I can not seem to get my fingers to change chords quickly, which is a big problem and doesnt seem to allow me to play any complete songs. Is learning how to change chords difficult or is it just me? I got the intro to Sweet Child O Mine down pretty quickly, I wouldnt have thought that changing chords quickly was going to be more of a challenge.

Any tips?

How long have you played guitar?

If not very long than play every day. Hour after hour. Learn easier songs an play the shit out of them. Lies has some good songs for building your stamina and quicker chord changes. Work on your scales and warm-ups. That's about all I can say. Oh. Take lessons. Trust me. I improved increadibly in at least a couple weeks after I started taking lessons.

Also what kind of guitar/amp do you have?

It makes a difference. Trust me.

Good Luck!!

If not very long than play every day. Hour after hour. Learn easier songs an play the shit out of them. Lies has some good songs for building your stamina and quicker chord changes. Work on your scales and warm-ups. That's about all I can say. Oh. Take lessons. Trust me. I improved increadibly in at least a couple weeks after I started taking lessons.

Good Luck!!

I started playing on Thursday, so about 3 days. I have been noticing significant improvement already though, my scales were painful to listen to yesterday but Ive really got them down now.

I was hoping I could learn without a teacher, but I saw an ad in the paper for guitar lessons and maybe I will call the guy. It would definitely help.

I have this guitar, I found it on ebay along with a 10w amp for $100. I dont know what makes one guitar better than another, but that thing is probably a piece of crap. I couldnt find my amp on the internet since the thing has no manufacturer on it :shrugs: , but I dont see why it really matters which one I have for learning guitar. If I get good I could buy a good amp.

Also, what do the tone knobs on my guitar do? I assume they are supposed to change the tone when playing electrically but I dont hear any difference when playing with the knobs.

Edited by mrandyk

Good Luck!!

I started playing on Thursday, so about 3 days. I have been noticing significant improvement already though, my scales were painful to listen to yesterday but Ive really got them down now.

I was hoping I could learn without a teacher, but I saw an ad in the paper for guitar lessons and maybe I will call the guy. It would definitely help.

I have this guitar, I found it on ebay along with a 10w amp for $100. I dont know what makes one guitar better than another, but that thing is probably a piece of crap. I couldnt find my amp on the internet since the thing has no manufacturer on it :shrugs: , but I dont see why it really matters which one I have for learning guitar. If I get good I could buy a good amp.

Also, what do the tone knobs on my guitar do? I assume they are supposed to change the tone when playing electrically but I dont hear any difference when playing with the knobs.

That looks very much like my first guitar. It is not a piece of crap. It is a great beginer guitar. You're doing pretty good consdering you started thurs. I went through maybe 4 or 5 rental guitars before I got my first guitar.

You're right about the amp. It doesn't matter what kind for a begginer as long as it works right. Iv'e been playing for 5 years and I just recently got my second amp.

The tone knobs change whether it sounds more electric (more crunch) or almost acoustic.

An add in the paper for lessons is good but I would go with a well known music store that suplies lessons or music studio. If money is an issue, ask the guy from the paper about how long he's played and other things like that. Find out where the lessons will be. If it's in his basement, I wouldn't take them.

Other than that it sounds like you're all set. Just practice practice practice!

Edited by sr9409

Good Luck!!

That looks very much like my first guitar. It is not a piece of crap. It is a great beginer guitar. You're doing pretty good consdering you started thurs. I went through maybe 4 or 5 rental guitars before I got my first guitar.

You're right about the amp. It doesn't matter what kind for a begginer as long as it works right. Iv'e been playing for 5 years and I just recently got my second amp.

The tone knobs change whether it sounds more electric (more crunch) or almost acoustic.

An add in the paper for lessons is good but I would go with a well known music store that suplies lessons or music studio. If money is an issue, ask the guy from the paper about how long he's played and other things like that. Find out where the lessons will be. If it's in his basement, I wouldn't take them.

Other than that it sounds like you're all set. Just practice practice practice!

haha, dude i used to take guitar lessons from a total stoner in his living room - but he was good! as long as the teacher knows what he's doing, i'd say take the lessons, if only for a little while just to get the basics down.

Well there are no music stores in town, I would have to drive 120 miles roundtrip and my car is going on its last legs at over 200k miles. So it would be nice if it were across town. If this guy turns out to be an undesirable teacher, do you think Best Buy would be a good place to go for lessons?

Well there are no music stores in town, I would have to drive 120 miles roundtrip and my car is going on its last legs at over 200k miles. So it would be nice if it were across town. If this guy turns out to be an undesirable teacher, do you think Best Buy would be a good place to go for lessons?

NO

if this guy sucks, look for someone else around town. or get a friend to teach you.

I have been practicing a lot this past week. I can do all the parts to Smells Like Teen Spirit, the main riff can sound ugly at times, but its nice to know a whole song instead of just parts. Changing chords on that riff is easy though since it is the same fingering just moved around the top 4 strings a few times.

Do you guys have any easy songs for me to try and learn? I cant think of any other songs to learn that are within my skill level, and I have gotten really good at playing everything else I know. Whole songs would be great, right now I essentially only know the intro to several songs; Smoke on the Water, Purple Haze, Better, Enter Sandman, Highway to Hell, Iron Man, Sweet Child O Mine...

Also Im holding off on calling that guy that I saw in the paper until I feel like I have hit a wall trying to learn guitar.

Edited by mrandyk

Nirvana is good to play thay have quite simple chord changes. Same with Tom Petty, if your into that, learn free fallen it's a great song to know. I've said this before, but side two of Lies has some great songs to just learn and play the shit out of. Used To Love Her and Patience especially. Also Dead Flowers. It fits in with Used To Love Her perfectly. That's all I can think of now.

Oh ya. Don't go for stuff like Metallica, Motley, or Aerosmith it can be weird at first to learn their songs.

Edited by sr9409

I looked up Pateicne, and it does seem pretty easy. But I am having a hard time sometimes telling if I am playing the right notes. When I listen to the track there are too many guitars and I sometimes just cant tell if I am playing the right part.

I did start playing Iron Man and have found that song pretty easy and fun to play, cant do the solo of course.

Mama Kin is a real simple fun song to learn. Fantastic rhythm to it, gets your wrists flowing.

Crazy Train- gotta get over the intimidation

Back in black is a must for any player... Whole Lotta Rosie is a blast cranking up and playing along with

Heartbreaker, fun solo to tackle ;)

Once you sharpen your ears, which comes from lots of practice, you'll beable to hear the two meshing guitars in Patience clearly. You Could be Mine, like Patience, has alot of intertwined playing and took quite a few listens

& concentration before I got it down.

Back in Black looks like a great song to learn, and its one of those songs that everyone should know. Crazy Train seems ridiculous for me to try to learn, it just seems like it would be way out of my skill level.

Really? When I first heard it I was like "dude i HAVE learn this"

Don't set yourself back. Bite more than what you (think) can chew. When you take on big songs like that you progress alot faster. Just depends on how much time your willing to spend. I remember sitting down for hours and hours watching Randy Rhoad's fingers fly and reading tabs online :rolleyes: those days were torture. It's all paid off though :thumbsup:

Edited by JesusisSavior

Was it one of the first songs you tried learning? I think Ill try to build myself up more on songs that are a little easier before jumping into that. The solo for Iron Man is what I have been trying to learn, and I can do it very slowly.

Was it one of the first songs you tried learning? I think Ill try to build myself up more on songs that are a little easier before jumping into that. The solo for Iron Man is what I have been trying to learn, and I can do it very slowly.

Yeah it was, guess i'm just wierd like that. Songs before i learned that one consisted of Iron Man.. handful of AC/DC tunes.. some Green Day.. & Boston's More than a Feeling. Angus Young is a great player to watch and build speed with repetitive basic blues licks.

Used To Love Her is really easy to start learning chords, it has a very basic and smooth rhythm and the chords are not difficult.

The intro to Don't Cry is also another easy one, they are -again- very basic chords and you learn how do arpeggios work.

If you can't find a teacher, look for lessons on youtube, get tabs, go to guitar forums, etc.

I remember when I started playing I couldn't change from any chord to Bm. Bm was my nightmare, and I still have hard feelings against that stupid chord.

Anyway, other cool and easy songs to start playing are Nothing Else Matters and Mama Said by Metallica; and what the guy above said.

Good luck and don't stop practising UNLESS your fingers hurt. NEVER practise with pain. Trust me. :)