U2 Discussion

CryptElf

I shall not stop before I've convinced everyone that U2 is pure evil.

Obvious cupcake is obvious.

I'm done with this kid.

I don't even know anything about the rest of the band!

You're an idiot.

I bet you listen to metal and hard rock exclusively and hate rap/ alternative music?

*sigh*

You're obviously on another level than me, Mr. Constructive.

Edited by Kriminiminell

You are allowed to say, but that doesn't make true.

Haha, well said! Surely the beauty of an internet discussion forum no?

The problem is on this forum there are far to many people who hate U2 unquestionably and only a few that really like them (BS, Sunny, Snake Eyes, Cryptelf and myself.) There are a few in the middleground but many many more that will just bash them and not discuss, its one thing to cupcake which is what most people do. But to discuss people need to give opinions and reasons and far too few people do with things that they hate. For example (omg *insert band here* sucks end of!).

You are allowed to say, but that doesn't make true.

Haha, well said! Surely the beauty of an internet discussion forum no?

The problem is on this forum there are far to many people who hate U2 unquestionably and only a few that really like them (BS, Sunny, Snake Eyes, Cryptelf and myself.) There are a few in the middleground but many many more that will just bash them and not discuss, its one thing to cupcake which is what most people do. But to discuss people need to give opinions and reasons and far too few people do with things that they hate. For example (omg *insert band here* sucks end of!).

Aye, fair point! If i'm honest i've not listened to their entire back catalogue and I do like a lot of what i've heard i'm just not a big fan of Bono and was always more in the Bunnymen camp for the early eighties era.

I guess all the best frontmen polarise opinion thogh. I mean just look at Axl?

Edited by Dazed&Confused

I must say I think it's long overdue that I post in this thread. Loved the new album(hated Unknown Caller though) saw the band Live @

Toronto - September 16th 2009(GA back row against the rail inside the pit)

Toronto - September 17th 2009(Nosebleeds dead center)

New Jersey - September 24th 2009(GA front row outside the pit)

Vancouver - October 28th 2009(side stage lower bowl 12 rows up)

Got tickets to see them in

Edmonton - June 23rd 2010(GA tickets)

Athens, Greece - September 3rd 2010(Side stage lower bowl)

Seville, Spain - September 29th 2010(GA tickets)

I must say I think it's long overdue that I post in this thread. Loved the new album(hated Unknown Caller though) saw the band Live @

Toronto - September 16th 2009(GA back row against the rail inside the pit)

Toronto - September 17th 2009(Nosebleeds dead center)

New Jersey - September 24th 2009(GA front row outside the pit)

Vancouver - October 28th 2009(side stage lower bowl 12 rows up)

Got tickets to see them in

Edmonton - June 23rd 2010(GA tickets)

Athens, Greece - September 3rd 2010(Side stage lower bowl)

Seville, Spain - September 29th 2010(GA tickets)

:lol:

I'm not laughing at your post, but you as a person.

Well I am a pretty funny person. But while I'm travelling the world seeing my favorite band you'll be sitting on a webiste focusing your energy on somthing you clearly dislike, spewing hate and complete nonsense. You'll also likely be dreaming of the day you maybe get the chance to see your favorite band in concert and if and when you do you'll think

"gee wouldn't it be cool if I had the time and resources to see my favorite band in multiple countries and continents just like Bono does. Hell I'd even go see U2 if it ment I could take 2 months off and go travel ."

But you keep laughing. We know who the ridiculous one is. :kiss:

Well I am a pretty funny person. But while I'm travelling the world seeing my favorite band you'll be sitting on a webiste focusing your energy on somthing you clearly dislike, spewing hate and complete nonsense. You'll also likely be dreaming of the day you maybe get the chance to see your favorite band in concert and if and when you do you'll think

"gee wouldn't it be cool if I had the time and resources to see my favorite band in multiple countries and continents just like Bono does. Hell I'd even go see U2 if it ment I could take 2 months off and go travel ."

You're already one of my favorite members. :heart:

Hurray! Bono's back!

I would agree that the 90's trilogy of albums; Achtung, Zooropa and Pop are great but also agree that the next album will have to be big and maybe a direction change as they have tended to do things ln batches of three.

Boy, October, War

Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum

Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, No Line On The Horizon

Seems like they are ready for a new trilogy of albums in a newer direction.

I think each album you can connect to the next one, not sure if there's any real trilogy.

Passengers also fits in with that Zoo era.

Pop is probably their bleakest recording to date, even though the music is mostly upbeat.

God Part II from "Rattle and Hum" - U2 had said didn't belong on there and should've waited to put it on "Achtung Baby". And they're right.

CryptElf said he didn't like Zooropa that much = fail!

To quote Larry Mullen about And All That You Can't Leave Behind

"And thats the album that we should have called Pop."

I love Pop though, its an ironic title, has quite upbeat songs (for the most part) but the album is really damn bleak thematically.

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

CryptElf said they didn't like Zooropa that much = fail!

I love Pop though, its an ironic title, has quite upbeat songs (for the most part) but the album is really damn bleak thematically.

CryptElf is a he, not a they.

And I have sense had a change of heart. I like Zooropa a lot more now.

I still prefer the Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum era though.

I completely blanked on your gender and did not want to offend you by calling you a she but will edit the posts.

I just feel the Trilogy of albums; UF, JT and R&H had the potential to be amazing. Joshua Tree while being brilliant is an album I have to be in the mood to listen to and Rattle And Hum just disappoints me, however that being said without Rattle And Hum we wouldn't have the awesome of Achtung Baby. I personally feel the 90's were their creative peak and that style of music interests me more.

I completely blanked on your gender and did not want to offend you by calling you a she but will edit the posts.

I just feel the Trilogy of albums; UF, JT and R&H had the potential to be amazing. Joshua Tree while being brilliant is an album I have to be in the mood to listen to and Rattle And Hum just disappoints me, however that being said without Rattle And Hum we wouldn't have the awesome of Achtung Baby. I personally feel the 90's were their creative peak and that style of music interests me more.

I've always liked rawer stuff, and I'm a big folk music fan. That probably explains why I like that era so much.

U2 is such a damn diverse band. :thumbsup:

Pop is such an incredibly underrated album in my opinion. It's loaded with gems. That album sufferd from a predetermined stigma. It was called "POP" no wonder it's underrated. It came out in the era of Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls hype and people immediately wrote it off as U2 trying to do that kind of music without ever even hearing it. Add to the fact the name of the first single "Discotheque" and people have even more reason to dislike the album even if they've never heard the song. Then they see the video and they've had enough of the new "pop" U2. I mean who wants to see U2 dressed as the Village People singing Backstreet Boys type muisc? Most people who say they don't like POP have never even heard it but they've heard about it. There's an huge difference between knowing about somehting and truely knowing it and most people just know about Pop.

It's really funny cause if you let people listen to Discotheque today most will tell you it sounds pretty cool. Everyone seemd to like Starring at the Sun. If people like TTTYAATW how can they not like a song like Playboy Mansion? Gone, Last Night on Earth, Do You Feel Loved all songs that if you showed someone and didn't tell them it was U2 they'd probably like. If God Will Send his Angels is a classic song that nobody knows about and if you told someone it was on Achtung Baby they'd say yeah it sounds pretty good but if they knew it was off Pop they'd say it sucks.

U2 is a band that the general public as well as haters likes to use cliches for. Ever notice how many people say they like "old U2" but the new stuff sucks. Then they turn around and say Beautiful Day is awesome. Ever notice how many people say WAR is their best album yet can't tell you any song from that album other than New Year's Day or SBS. Ever notice how many people say The Joshua Tree is the thier best album ever but only know the first three songs off that album, yet they know Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, One, Mysterious Ways and Even Better than the real thing off Achtung Baby. Ever notice how many people say The Joshua Tree was the last good music U2 ever made. That is the most hilarious one of all cause it's clearly a fucking dellusional comment. Ever notice how many people say Bono sucks and he should stick to music and stop talking about politics yet the only fucking thing about "Bono's Politics" they know about is the word Africa. they have no clue what his causes are for or what he's trying to accomplish but they know it has something to do with Africa and that's it.

Anyways I'm ranting now. :rolleyes: So in closing I really, really like Pop and I think Zooropa was good.

^^^

Good post Bono.

With that said, it saddens my that some of the U2 fans in this thread don't realize how great the trilogy of the first 3 albums where.

Boy,October,War....to me will always be U2's finest hour - And keep in mind I love everything else.

To me Boy, October, and War, were the albums/type of music the Clash/Joy Division was always trying to make.

Edited by SunnyDRE