What's up with Kanye West just using 2pac tracks?

Guest Metatron

Guest Metatron

I know how much we love a hip hop thread here, but you'll like this, it shows how Kanye doesn't really have a talent.

It's no secret I've recently developed a huge appreciate for tupac shakur, after being able to have listened to every album some songs sounded more familiar than they should. I quickly realised why, these songs were sampled by Kanye at one point barely changed, only for him to slap his producer label on there.

Here's a couple of examples, first:

Secondly:

So I mean, I know his job is to sample other songs, but he's more than just sampling here, he's polishing then re-releasing. It kind of makes his whole body of work now laughable kind of. It's sad.

Guest Metatron
dont you usually defend this cockface?

I used to think he had talent, until I found out DJ A-Trak did all his original material and he took the credit. And then finding out the songs he does produce either suck (Anything on 808's) or is just a clear rip where basically nothing is changed on the beat.

Guest Metatron
Well sampling is by definition taking an existing portion of a song whether it be the melody/ music and reusing it in their own work either as a the same instrumental, as a loop or with some variation.

I don't know, it'd be more impressive if he actually changed the beat or something. Nah, instead, a tweak here and there, overall polish, it doesn't look good. I just wish he was an actual good producer... He needs A-Trak back.

You act like Pac didnt sample any beats? Im too lazy to get my makaveli and all eyez on my booklets, but i guarentee that pac used samples on both of those tracks. Its obvious those are pac beats, but Kanye can rap. So to say that makes his body of work laughable is just stupid. Don't get me wrong, Im a huge Pac fan, and not so huge on Kanye, but Kanye is a great musician on his own, so if anything I think him using those beats is more or less a nod to Tupac.

And I can't believe this is your proof that Kanye West doesnt have talent. That the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.

Edited by drtydane

Guest Metatron

Pac sampled Hank Crawford's Wildflower on that track.

Kind of makes his whole body of work laughable now.

But there's a distinct clear difference in the sound of the song. I hear one version, and immediately, I know which is which. With the Kanye songs, it just sounds the same really.

For example, Changes was sampled, but the beat was changed, some added instrumentals, paced up, etc. It's no longer the same song.

It kind of makes his whole body of work now laughable kind of. It's sad.

So because of two examples of him sampling another's work (one is only a song he produced?) his entire body of work is now "laughable"?

Call it a sample, call it a remake, call it a cover - plenty of artists do both these things. Do you call GN'R's entire body of work laughable because a significant portion of their hits were covers of well known songs?

I don't understand how Kanye West has gained such a notable reputation for "beat-making", which some people seem to have misinterpreted as "producing". A producer's job is to simply facilitate the recording process and guide session musicians. Most people don't realize Kanye has never properly composed a full song in his life. All of the music on 808s and Heartbreak, for example, was written by Jeff Bhasker & Co. If you check the liner notes, you'll see Kanye isn't credited for a single instrument played on the entire record..

-Kickingthehabit

I don't understand how Kanye West has gained such a notable reputation for "beat-making", which some people seem to have misinterpreted as "producing". A producer's job is to simply facilitate the recording process and guide session musicians. Most people don't realize Kanye has never properly composed a full song in his life. All of the music on 808s and Heartbreak, for example, was written by Jeff Bhasker & Co. If you check the liner notes, you'll see Kanye isn't credited for a single instrument played on the entire record..

-Kickingthehabit

Hip hop production works differently, man.

-Kickingthehabit

smh. you don't know anything about hip-hop. flat out.

If you're going to respond at least offer something substantial before you move on to the ad hominem. The problem, as I see it, with hip hop fans is that they generally assume a producer is in charge of making an entire beat. The likes of Dr. Dre and Kanye West occasionally man a drum machine, but for the most part they allow session musicians to compose music and guide them to what they're looking for sonically..

Most of Eminem's success is attributed to Dr. Dre, but no one ever acknowledges Mike Elizondo for writing almost all of the music on The Marshal Mathers LP, for example. He was the beat-maker, Dre simply oversaw the production..

-Kickingthehabit

If you're going to respond at least offer something substantial before you move on to the ad hominem. The problem, as I see it, with hip hop fans is that they generally assume a producer is in charge of making an entire beat. The likes of Dr. Dre and Kanye West occasionally man a drum machine, but for the most part they allow session musicians to compose music and guide them to what they're looking for sonically..

Most of Eminem's success is attributed to Dr. Dre, but no one ever acknowledges Mike Elizondo for writing almost all of the music on The Marshal Mathers LP, for example. He was the beat-maker, Dre simply oversaw the production..

-Kickingthehabit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_production

Hip hop production works differently, man.