Would releasing more studio material help Guns put the past line-up to bed?

gavgnr

Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts on this matter.

I know we've had Chinese for just over a year now (which I love) and I'm stoked that the band is touring, belting out the new and old tracks amazingly.

But I got to thinking today that for Axl especially to start putting the past era of Guns to bed, the band should seriously look at releasing more material. Most people seem to agree that there is at least enough music recorded for at least one more studio album.

I don't want to be labelled as another greedy fan who just wants more music, but how many here would agree that more studio music would help the world to see how this current line-up of Guns fuckin rocks and more importantly, how it deserves to be recognised in its own right without constantly being compared to the old line-up?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we've had Chinese for just over a year now (which I love) and I'm stoked that the band is touring, belting out the new and old tracks amazingly.

But I got to thinking today that for Axl especially to start putting the past era of Guns to bed, the band should seriously look at releasing more material. Most people seem to agree that there is at least enough music recorded for at least one more studio album.

I don't want to be labelled as another greedy fan who just wants more music, but how many here would agree that more studio music would help the world to see how this current line-up of Guns fuckin rocks and more importantly, how it deserves to be recognised in its own right without constantly being compared to the old line-up?

i totally agree with you, BUT they need to record NEW material. if they release old stuff with bucket and finck on, thats not good. they need to record with this current lineup

well the problem is that the line up that is on stage now it's not the line up that recorded CD...axl needs to find 6,7 guys and stick with them :D

but then again no one cares who is on stage with Axl he could chage line up every night and the ticket sales woudn't go down (other then original line up) .... but i think Ashba is the best thing that hapend tu Guns in a long time but people do not go to C him......

Edited by smakci

They just have to record an album with the current line up and release it as soon as possible.

This...times infinity. Write a chunk of tunes on the road, head to the studio right after and churn it out. Axl is singing like a champ right now and it would be such a crime to miss this opportunity. You know it's true. :thumbsup:

As much as people would like not hear this, nothing with this GNR will ever compare to the original incarnation. A lot of it is Axl's fault, but some of it is also the fact that you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

They just have to record an album with the current line up and release it as soon as possible.

It makes sense, but financially it is not going to be realistic most likely unless Axl plans on paying for all of the recording costs out of his pocket again. Not likely.

If there is enough material recorded to release an album presently, there is less than a 0% chance the record label is going to advance Axl a bunch of money to record an album with the new guys when they have an albums worth of stuff that cost them nothing.

The Best Buy deal was a disaster for Best Buy, so the label knows they will get nothing from retailers this time around for any exclusive GNR releases.

Follow the money. They can release a follow-up album with little to no overhead cost, or they can commission Axl with a bunch of money for God knows how long to record an album that would never be incrementally more profitable for the label than just releasing what they have now.

Not to mention Axl eliminated any smidge of goodwill he might have had with the label and future retailers because of the stunt he pulled with the CD release of refusing to promote the album.

In a perfect world the new band could record their own album, but the world is not perfect and the finances of it just don't make it a prudent choice for the label. It might be good for Axl, but not the record company.

It makes sense, but financially it is not going to be realistic most likely unless Axl plans on paying for all of the recording costs out of his pocket again. Not likely.

If there is enough material recorded to release an album presently, there is less than a 0% chance the record label is going to advance Axl a bunch of money to record an album with the new guys when they have an albums worth of stuff that cost them nothing.

The Best Buy deal was a disaster for Best Buy, so the label knows they will get nothing from retailers this time around for any exclusive GNR releases.

Follow the money. They can release a follow-up album with little to no overhead cost, or they can commission Axl with a bunch of money for God knows how long to record an album that would never be incrementally more profitable for the label than just releasing what they have now.

Not to mention Axl eliminated any smidge of goodwill he might have had with the label and future retailers because of the stunt he pulled with the CD release of refusing to promote the album.

In a perfect world the new band could record their own album, but the world is not perfect and the finances of it just don't make it a prudent choice for the label. It might be good for Axl, but not the record company.

What do we know about Axl's personal finances? Nothing. Is it true that the record company won't finance the new G N' R album? I don't think so.

Is it true that the record company won't finance the new G N' R album? I don't think so.

They already have financed it, and it exists with all that unreleased material.

On what planet do you think they would give him another million/couple million to record another album when they have one ready to release? It would be a big waste of money on their end.

Is it true that the record company won't finance the new G N' R album? I don't think so.

They already have financed it, and it exists with all that unreleased material.

On what planet do you think they would give him another million/couple million to record another album when they have one ready to release? It would be a big waste of money on their end.

Why does it have to cost a couple millions of dollars? They can record it much cheaper. Get the band in a wharehouse for about 2 months where they can rehearse the songs. Than go to a studio (not some hight tech stuff) and record the album within' a month. After that take a couple of weeks out to mix it and stuff and release it. I don't think that would cost millions of dollars.

Axl and the rest of the band need to get out there and work with the media as much as they can to elevate the profile of the newer bad members and CD. The release of CD was a missed opportunity to do that but with a new album or single they could fix that mistake. Can you blame anyone for thinking that Slash and Duff are still in the band when there haven't been any publicity shots of the new line up released?

Has there been a more recent studio shot of the band together since this one?

guns-n-roses-band-6500082.jpg

Agreed 100 percent. With all due respect to your post, and I agree once again, but the past line-up will never be put to bed. There will always be rumors of a reunion as long as all 5 are alive.

Cmon! reunion rumors started when chinese was released. I can't believe another human mind even believed that after all the time, energy, and money spent into the new material that Axl would just throw away GNR for the hell of it...just for reunion sake! Ludacris...absolutely ludacris. It's annoying as hell, but they'll never go away...

Rumors will start up again in 2011 and 2012 when the band is inducted in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. GURANTEED.

Cmon! reunion rumors started when chinese was released. I can't believe another human mind even believed that after all the time, energy, and money spent into the new material that Axl would just throw away GNR for the hell of it...just for reunion sake!

Just a reunion? Ha! No offense - actually please go right ahead and take offense - but any nimrod could have came to the conclusion that reunion rumors were going to be imminent after 'Chinese Demcocracy's' release. That put the Guns N Roses name back out there to some degree. The first GNR material after a 15 year drought. Now granted, it wasn't actually GNR - and the material left a bad taste in most listener's mouth - but still, it got people to thinking again about how great of a band that was that gave the anthems like 'Jungle' and 'Paradise' - ballads like Patience and November Rain. It got people to thinking 'how great would it be if THAT Guns N Roses was back? Aside from that, I think the rest of us were just praying that since the album debacle was out of the way, maybe it would mean that Axl could move along with his life and give the other 98% of mother earth what they really wanted. Unfortunately for us, we learned that Axl has become even more bitter with the passing of the years, and for some even more bizarre reason, he felt that an album - that fell out of the Billboard after only a few short months and spawned absolutely zero hit singles - warranted a 4th low selling tour.

NO Appetite was something special that cant be forgotten or replaced a time a perfect time mid 80's usa was a special place then cocaine rampart, military kicking ass we loved ourselves and then guns came along perfect timining perfect sound like losing your virginity or taking that first hit when freebasing cant be duplicated

peace out hope that made sense

NO Appetite was something special that cant be forgotten or replaced a time a perfect time mid 80's usa was a special place then cocaine rampart, military kicking ass we loved ourselves and then guns came along perfect timining perfect sound like losing your virginity or taking that first hit when freebasing cant be duplicated

peace out hope that made sense

Umm ... so basically you loved 'AFD' because in the 80s you were in the Army - banging some chick - while you were high on crack?

Well, judging by the coherency of your post I'm glad to see that it didn't affect you too bad. But yeah, AFD is great. I got that part.

All they need is to put this album in EVERY store and use a percentage of the tour profit to promote the hell out of ANY one song on the album. As we have seen in the last 5 years (and especially from 2009's massive push of Taylor Swift) you do not need to have a GREAT or perfect song to have a top 10 hit or a million downloads - you just need a massive money-fueled push by the record company or management. Anyone who disagrees isn't paying attention to current trends in the music business.