The OFFICIAL Edmonton Show Thread - Jan,17/2010

Evil Ernie

Guns N' Roses. Sunday, Jan. 17, 2010. Rexall Place.

Why was Axl Rose repeatedly leaving the stage during Sunday’s show at Rexall Place? The Guns N’ Roses frontman seemed to run backstage in the middle of every one of their songs – and it wasn’t always to change his shirts.

Was it to get a hit of oxygen? Water? Helium? Or look over his lyrics? (No, he reportedly uses teleprompters, and yes, it looked like there were a few screens scattered around the foot of the stage for the 47-year-old musician to peek at.) Whatever the reason, his vanishing act was the only major bummer of G N’ R’s 180-minute show, which started at 10:30 p.m. (Almost 90 minutes earlier than the band’s last Rexall show in 2006.) Whenever Rose wasn't on stage, the concert tended to lose momentum. His bandmates might be wizards with their instruments, but they didn't possess his charisma (or those of their G N' R predecessors).

OK, so the sound wasn’t always pristine, but we’ve come to expect sludgy mixes – especially when it comes to L.A.’s finest rock 'n' roll hellions, including Motley Crue, Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver (G N’ R minus Rose). His screeches were often buried under the squeals of his three guitarists, but when he was audible – as on such oldies as November Rain and Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door - he sounded better than ever. Or at least better than he did on his last visit.

His latest batch of tunes – from the much-delayed and maligned Chinese Democracy - were hampered with the worst mixes, as if G N’ R’s sound technician was still trying to figure them out.

My link

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got shacklers? Thats one i wanna see...

I wanted to, but I was being crushed at this point...

tkarmy said that he got Shacklers, Better and Set Me Free.... I mean Sorry...

IRS -

1:11

that just blew my mind- what a great view :thumbsup:

More stuff and BETTER stuff is coming... Wait with baited breath.... :D

Lol, sounds like this fucker was dieing to criticise the show even before it started, but after seeing it just couldnt bring himself to have a good go lol!

Must have been a special performance axl!

Why was Axl Rose repeatedly leaving the stage during Sunday’s show at Rexall Place? The Guns N’ Roses frontman seemed to run backstage in the middle of every one of their songs – and it wasn’t always to change his shirts.

Was it to get a hit of oxygen? Water? Helium? Or look over his lyrics? (No, he reportedly uses teleprompters, and yes, it looked like there were a few screens scattered around the foot of the stage for the 47-year-old musician to peek at.) Whatever the reason, his vanishing act was the only major bummer of G N’ R’s 180-minute show, which started at 10:30 p.m. (Almost 90 minutes earlier than the band’s last Rexall show in 2006.) Whenever Rose wasn't on stage, the concert tended to lose momentum. His bandmates might be wizards with their instruments, but they didn't possess his charisma (or those of their G N' R predecessors).

OK, so the sound wasn’t always pristine, but we’ve come to expect sludgy mixes – especially when it comes to L.A.’s finest rock 'n' roll hellions, including Motley Crue, Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver (G N’ R minus Rose). His screeches were often buried under the squeals of his three guitarists, but when he was audible – as on such oldies as November Rain and Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door - he sounded better than ever. Or at least better than he did on his last visit.

His latest batch of tunes – from the much-delayed and maligned Chinese Democracy - were hampered with the worst mixes, as if G N’ R’s sound technician was still trying to figure them out.

My link

He reportedly uses teleprompters, and yes, it looked like there were a few screens scattered around the foot of the stage for the 47-year-old musician to peek at.

Not entirely sure what this little bit is supposed to be hinting at. Teleprompters are something which nearly all bands or artists use, and Guns N' Roses have been using them since at least the Use Your Illusion Tour. If Axl has to take a quick look every so often to deliver the best show possible, then what's the problem?

They're hardly some brand new edgy technology that's taking the rock straight from the roll.

My link

This dude doesn't know shit. 180 minutes? Did he no realize the band left after 145 minutes. Whatta dumbass punk. No respect and even worse no accuracy.

He reportedly uses teleprompters, and yes, it looked like there were a few screens scattered around the foot of the stage for the 47-year-old musician to peek at.

Not entirely sure what this little bit is supposed to be hinting at. Teleprompters are something which nearly all bands or artists use, and Guns N' Roses have been using them since at least the Use Your Illusion Tour. If Axl has to take a quick look every so often to deliver the best show possible, then what's the problem?

They're hardly some brand new edgy technology that's taking the rock straight from the roll.

Yeah its not as if there is a big ass autoqueue he reads from at the back of the arena! :rofl-lol:

exactly, its hard to criticise a good show isnt it!

These idiot commentators provide so much entertainment for us when gnr are on tour - im all for construcitve critisism but please, what a joker lol!

"errr the teleprompters errr, the oxygen tents errrrrr" one day one of them will just say "i wanted to bash axl and the band but fuck it, they were pretty damn awesome!"

My link

No problem with a poor review (although on this tour for every poor one there's been another ten very positive ones).

It's worth however, noting the responses from every person following that article from the people who attended - Like we say, isn't that the true test? You know, non-forum freaks like ourselves. People just going to see the band without all the political bullshit we drag ourselves into on here?

Let's see:

Charles III

Sperounes is the (now defunct) Mike Bell of Edmonton concert reviewers; self involved and short-sighted. Generally, it's hard to even begin to read her drivel. Nothing seems off the mark per-se here, but focus on someone more credible like Daryl Sterdan's review on Canoe.ca (of the Winnepeg show) for a more reliable and comprehensive view. (Props for her falling asleep before finishing the review too...)

January 18, 2010

3:17 PM T

Loved the show, thought Axl rocked the house and sounded awesome, but was not impressed by how long it took him to get out on stage. I thought it was very disrespectful to his fans to keep them waiting so long. Like someone else said, all it did was allow more time for everyone to get drunker. Axl needs to stop being such a diva and remember that without his fans he would be nobody.

January 18, 2010

3:05 PM Bobbi

The Sun's review is on the mark and so much better. The Journal never gets it right.

January 18, 2010

2:55 PM John (again)

Who wants to bet that when Sandra's "full review" comes out tomorrow, she changes her tune, in light of the fact that everyone who attended the concert disagrees with her. Sorry it wasn't as epic as Coldplay was for you, Sandra. WORST!

January 18, 2010

2:51 PM Kotchka

This was an amazing concert. Couldn't have been any better. As far as the comments go from Bright Eyed in the A.M., maybe they shouldn't swear either and the music was awfully loud. It was a rock concert you know. It's just a little smoke. Maybe you should have sucked it up a little. It might have loosened you up. As far as Lulu goes, who wasn't their, how can you even comment. Axl and Sebastian sounded as good as they did 20 years ago.

January 18, 2010

2:44 PM Janice

Loved it, he seamed a little "older looking " than the 06 show but , so what. The show rocked!

January 18, 2010

2:29 PM GNRfan

We got tickets about 2 hours before the concert and I tell you, I have seen many bands play (Skid row, bon jovi, Aerosmith, Ac/Dc etc) and to say that Axl couldn't remember all his lyrics and fault him for using telepromptors is lame and you don't know much about live music. Metallica usies them, Ozzy uses them, and I have even heard Gene Simmons mess up the lyrics to Rock n Roll all nite. Sebastian was awsome though he used a major delay on his voice and for being 47 Axl Did not.

Rock on Axl and the Guns N Roses is better than the old...Slash pride got to you, Duff, your loss...and the rest who cares.

January 18, 2010

2:16 PM Mark

Yawn! You find their music in the "Where Are They Now bin." Next to the toilet paper and underwear discount sections in the middle of any isle at any Walmart or Zellers. As for his disappearing, changing diapers?

January 18, 2010

2:16 PM Axl

Post a picture of his face these days. Its hilarious!!!!

January 18, 2010

2:14 PM BJM

I agree with Bright Eyed, security should turf those who are too drunk or smoking in there. I have no respect for wastes of skin that think society owes them everything and yet they treat everyone like garbage. You know i'm talking to you the 33 year old GnR tattoo Harley Davidson wearing jacket piece of garbage in Sec 219 Row 34 seat 14. Get a life....

January 18, 2010

1:52 PM AM

I went in very biased but boy was I surprised. For anyone to expect him to be in the same form he was 20 years ago is wrong, but he can still wail the notes like he has before, yes perhaps stopping for air, but come on, after 20 years, give Axl some slack.

4 out of 5 stars for me

January 18, 2010

1:45 PM superman

My 2 cents;)

When a nearly 50 year old man puts on a three hour gig, be happy. Take it for what it is and enjoy whats good.

January 18, 2010

12:58 PM ChampChampagne

I could not disagree more. Rose sounded great on all the tunes. The mixes seemed very good compared to other concerts I have been to. I did not find Axl running off stage to "ruin" the momentum. He ran off stage during solo spots. I would rather have Axl run off stage, than take a 30 minute intermission in the middle of the show as other LA bands tend to do these days.

January 18, 2010

12:47 PM Zabeen Sahib

the show ROCKED!!! My husband and I had the best time. At 47, Axl has still got it. He is a pure entertainer and great replacement band they can really pumped it out. The best part is when the paino came out and we knew what was about to come--- NOVEMBER RAIN !!!! my absolute favorite song from GNR and perhaps best song of all time. This was the pinnicle moment that I was waiting for and totally worth the hour wait outside plus the late start. Great time to be had by all. ROCK ON GNR!!

January 18, 2010

12:36 PM eskinator

Wow! You must have been at a different concert than me. To comment on the technical aspects of the show instead of the blitz of music the band and Axel gave us is a weird review. The show was phenomenal folks. He rocked us from 10:27 to 1:09am, 'nuff said.

January 18, 2010

12:31 PM Derek

Haha, Tuesday's Journal. Still a little groggy from the show.

January 18, 2010

12:24 PM Chris

The concert itself was a great visual display - loved the LED curtains and ever-changing lighting rigs, and of course all the pyro led to some great eye candy. The sound wasn't the worst I've ever heard, but it is true that there were moments when Axl (and predecing opening act Sebastian Bach) were hard to hear the vocals on.

I loved hearing GNR do AC/DC's Whole Lotta Rosie, and Bumblefoot's Pink Panther I thought was a major highlight...and uh, She'll be Coming Round the Mountain When She Comes was different, to say the least.

I came to hear the old stuff - I didn't particularly like the new album, too mid-tempo with not enough bite like Appeteite or Illusion - and unfortuantely, they played 10 songs off the new album - even sadder, is that a good half hour or so was nothing but the new album...however, personal distate aside, it was clear that Axl was giving it all he had the whole night long, and he was amazing, dancing, screeching, and all the rest of it. But the whole place came alive when the songs from Appetite and Illusion came on, let me tell you.

I was a little disappointed when we didn't get O Canada or Rocket Queen as Calgary did, nor Liquor and Whores...but, at 1:15 in the morning when the show did end, I figured it was a good time to end as I had to work today - last time they came it was 2:30 in the morning before I got to my car...

Sebastian Bach was fantastic as always, he's got great pipes and great tunes, seen him and Skid Row at least 5 times and always fun...nice to hear him do Aerosmith's Back In The Saddle...

Danko Jones (who played to about 100 people) I was surprised he didn't play his hit Bounce, it's the only song of his I know, and it was a fairly big hit...

Axl, thanks for a great night, it was better than 2006, but maybe lay off the new album so much, or at least break it up by throwing in some old school in between the new stuff...

January 18, 2010

12:22 PM Derek

Does Canwest expect anyone to really go buy a hard copy of the Journal to read one article? No wonder they're broke. Although I think the writing is way better in the Journal, I'll never buy a physical copy of any paper with the fold out layout. Maybe if Canwest wanted to satrt making money, they'd us the "tabloid", easy to read on a bus, format.

January 18, 2010

12:22 PM Max Bryson

This is the most inaccurate review i have ever seen. Rose was on tope form and only left the stage sporadically. the mixes were fine. stop kissing Slash's butt and realise this is a great new band

January 18, 2010

12:14 PM Weak!

Just thought I would note that the Sun has a full concert review up already.

January 18, 2010

12:13 PM Tom

This was the best concert ever in Edmonton. These guys ROCKED!!!

Yeah, he left the stage several times, but who cares?????

January 18, 2010

12:13 PM LULU

I wasn't there - but I am thinking that the fans that attended deserved more for the big bucks they spent than a performer who can't remember his lines. He appears to be no more professional than the lip synching Britney Spears. What a rip off - for my entertainment dollar, I'd like to see some *real* talent and *real* professionalism and enough respect for the fans that the performer actually tries to do his/her job well.

January 18, 2010

11:26 AM howzar

Hey, the old boy's still got it ! That chainsaw he swallowed decades ago still rings out loud and clear, although there was a lot of huffin' and puffin'. His new band of punks know their stuff, and sure the sound wasn't 100% all the time (when is it ever at Rexall concerts?) the stage layout and lighting were a treat. I'm glad I took it in, and the 3 hours they played went pretty fast...my ears are still ringing,,,,Axl also looked like he was having a great time up there too, which helps the mood of the show greatly. If you have the chance, go see this show ! Don't worry about the inevitable negative reviews to follow...

January 18, 2010

11:01 AM John

My New Years' resolution is to stop reading the reviews of shows I enjoyed. You guys have to crap on everything. Great show, stop nitpicking!

January 18, 2010

10:48 AM Bright Eyed in the A.M.

Axl was good - glad I went.

Fucking Axl ball lickers the lot of them!! :fuckyou:

Clearly...

My link

This dude doesn't know shit. 180 minutes? Did he no realize the band left after 145 minutes. Whatta dumbass punk. No respect and even worse no accuracy.

Actually he makes a very good point about the lack of charisma from the supporting musicians. Nobody is there to see them and nobody cares about them all they want to see is Axl and when he's not on stage the show drags. That agrees with 95% of the people on the show, the other 5% are on this forum that for some reason are actually interested in these no-names. Make no mistake, this is Axl's show and his show only.

My link

Actually he makes a very good point about the lack of charisma from the supporting musicians. Nobody is there to see them and nobody cares about them all they want to see is Axl and when he's not on stage the show drags. That agrees with 95% of the people on the show, the other 5% are on this forum that for some reason are actually interested in these no-names. Make no mistake, this is Axl's show and his show only.

lol no