Ashba has really grown on me fast

lefecious

DJ grew on me too. After The first show I liked him. He has a great style of guitar playing, much like Slash. I think Ashba is the best thing since Slash to be play guitar in GN'R. He has the rock and rock look and playing style, more than Buckethead or Finck, althought I started liking Finck during while I was watching the 06 shows. Dj Ashba is a great addition for GN'R. They look and sound more like a rock and rock band now with DJ Ashba.

DJ grew on me too. After The first show I liked him. He has a great style of guitar playing, much like Slash. I think Ashba is the best thing since Slash to be play guitar in GN'R. He has the rock and rock look and playing style, more than Buckethead or Finck, althought I started liking Finck during while I was watching the 06 shows. Dj Ashba is a great addition for GN'R. They look and sound more like a rock and rock band now with DJ Ashba.

How can DJ be 'the best thing since Slash to play guitar in GN'R' when we've yet to hear anything new from him in terms of songs he's

written for Gn'R or anything new, other than the facts that he looks old school and has a cool tone?

It seems that his major selling point amongst the members of this forum is that he can play Slash's leads the best out of all the 'new'

guitar players that have replaced Slash. I'm not denying that... but is it really the ability to look for?

I think that the chemistry between Ashba and the rest of the band is obviously there and I think it's great. What bothers me though,

is that imho, the best thing Ashba brought to the table aside from his great ability to play old guns material is good pr. suddenly this band

is not seen as a freak show but what's funny to me, is that when this band was considered a freak show by many Gn'R fans, the line up was

the strongest - talent wise and those were the main players that wrote with Axl Chinese Democracy.

It seems to me that our admiration as Gn'R fans is cheaply bought... but then again, our memory is short. now it's Robin who? maybe in the near future it could be Ashba who?

just as easily and that's what's wrong for me anyway.

Edited by Rovim

He can cover old GNR, he can cover new GNR. When will he be given the chance to record with Axl and make a real mark?

He can cover Bucket's work but not Robin's imo... as for making a real mark with recording for Guns? I hope we'll see cdll before that

happens although I'll really like to hear what Ashba is going to sound like in a Gn'r song he helped write.

(can he write a high profile song like Better?)

It seems like, no matter who Axl gets, the hardcore Axl fans will always love them. I have yet to see a player come into this band that they didn't instantly love and become obsessed with.

I never really liked Robin that much...

It just goes to show that Axl IS Guns N' Roses. The other members were one of many... nothing special...

Same here, Robins writing ability is undeniable but is playing live is just too sloppy for me to handle. GnR for me is Axl, as I hope everyones is, though that doesn't stop me from glancing at Ron from time to time.

It seems like, no matter who Axl gets, the hardcore Axl fans will always love them. I have yet to see a player come into this band that they didn't instantly love and become obsessed with.

It just goes to show that Axl IS Guns N' Roses. The other members were one of many... nothing special...

I agree for the most part, atleast post 1998. Although, Buckethead was an amazing talent and an incredible loss imo.

As for the old band, I completely disagree. The music on AFD was mostly, if not entirely written by everyone ACCEPT Axl.

I agree for the most part, atleast post 1998. Although, Buckethead was an amazing talent and an incredible loss imo.

As for the old band, I completely disagree. The music on AFD was mostly, if not entirely written by everyone ACCEPT Axl.

The Singer IS the band. Whoever writes the songs does not matter. Need an example? Motley Crue in 1994... (and VR)

I'm a Guitar Player BTW.

the only member of the old band that I miss is Izzy, and he left for different reasons than the others.

People always talk about how Good Slash's solos were, but get real. He had great image and a good tone and could write a coupla good songs but those Solo's wrote themselves. Plus, he has writing credit for VERY few songs in the Guns era. Far less than Axl...

No, the singer is what people THINK when they think of a band. He/she is the image one gets in their heads when they think about a certain group. But get real...without Duff, there's no Paradise City. Without Slash, there's no Sweet Child and no Jungle, without Izzy...well, without him there's no AFD PERIOD. Axl wrote the fucking lyrics to all those songs and that's it. How you can sit there and tell me that....

A.)The writers don't matter

and

B.)Slash's solos wrote themselves

...is beyond me. If you think Slash's solos wrote themselves, then surely we'll all be hearing from you when you become a legend. Since you know, it's that fucking easy to write a solo like SCOM.

Edited by Nintari

The Singer IS the band. Whoever writes the songs does not matter. Need an example? Motley Crue in 1994... (and VR)

I'm a Guitar Player BTW.

the only member of the old band that I miss is Izzy, and he left for different reasons than the others.

People always talk about how Good Slash's solos were, but get real. He had great image and a good tone and could write a coupla good songs but those Solo's wrote themselves. Plus, he has writing credit for VERY few songs in the Guns era. Far less than Axl...

No, the singer is what people THINK when they think of a band. He/she is the image one gets in their heads when they think about a certain group. But get real...without Duff, there's no Paradise City. Without Slash, there's no Sweet Child and no Jungle, without Izzy...well, without him there's no AFD PERIOD. Axl wrote the fucking lyrics to all those songs and that's it. How you can sit there and tell me that....

A.)The writers don't matter

and

B.)Slash's solos wrote themselves

...is beyond me. If you think Slash's solos wrote themselves, then surely we'll all be hearing from you when you become a legend. Since you know, it's that fucking easy to write a solo like SCOM.

Give me a lead singer like Axl and a song like SCOM and I will write a great solo. If you have a great song the solo writes itself.

And without Axl it's likely these songs would never have been heard...

and you misunderstood what I said. I meant that you can write the greatest album of all time, but if the lead singer is not top notch you will go no where.

Simply put, even though they all played a part, Axl is the reason that they are famous and continue to make money these days despite making shitty music...

I like Slash and Duff, but they are nothing without GNR. Izzy is like the Syd Barrett of GNR...

Say what you of past material, but since GNR old members have released shit. BBF has a half dozen albums of brilliance while BH has release 1029993876349997547...

Slash plays with Fergie, nuff said...

I'm just going to ignore this "solos write themselves" bullshit entirely because I see it's pointless debating that with you and go right on to the next ridiculous thing.

So you think if you write the best album ever, without a great singer the album goes nowhere? Then what happens when a great singer doesn't have a great album? That's right, it goes no where. Singers have to have great music to sing over...correct? And this is leads me to my point here. That Axl needed them to blow up and they needed Axl. It was a perfect marriage of great writers and a great singer. Without one or the other, Guns N Roses never exists and no one knows who any of them are.

Oh...and "past GNR" members did release an album called Contraband. Not my favorite, but it did win a Grammy, and it did have a hit single and it was successful. No matter what we think, it validated Duff and Slash's talent.

Edited by Nintari

The music on AFD was not almost entirely written by everyone accept Axl. The instrumentation, yes, but not the whole music as Axl wrote melodies.

Ali

The music on AFD was not almost entirely written by everyone accept Axl. The instrumentation, yes, but not the whole music as Axl wrote melodies.

Ali

Axl wrote nothing but the vocals...and that's not even on every track (Brownstone etc.).

There are dozens of shitty records that go somewhere because of a good lead singer. Look at Poison...

Poison? You're going to use Poison as an example? I don't think, in 50 years, when people talk of the best bands of the 20th century, they're going to bring up Poison. And when people talk about great rock singer, I never hear Bretty Fuckin' Michael's name either.

If that's you're idea of a "great singer"...then...there's no reasoning with you.

I gotta admit i was wrong about this guy. He is talented. I was at the bar next to my house this past weekend, and this kick-ass song came on the jukebox, and what do you know it was Sixx AM.

The next day, I downloaded a couple their songs.

These guys are pretty good.

I gotta admit i was wrong about this guy. He is talented. I was at the bar next to my house this past weekend, and this kick-ass song came on the jukebox, and what do you know it was Sixx AM.

The next day, I downloaded a couple their songs.

These guys are pretty good.

Thanks, same here....

It seems that his major selling point amongst the members of this forum is that he can play Slash's leads the best out of all the 'new'

guitar players that have replaced Slash. I'm not denying that... but is it really the ability to look for?

Honestly, I think its more important than many realize. The die-hards will eat up whatever the band serves up, but when the general public goes to a GNR show they damn well want the classics to sound right. I liked Finck's work on CD, but some of his live work on Appetite-era stuff left something to be desired.