After seeing the new performances, how has your opinion of Chinese Democracy changed?

Used To Love Me

Just wondering how everyone feels about the CD songs, now that we have heard all of them performed live... my opinions are:

1. Chinese Democracy - I thought this was an ok tune when I first heard it, but, other than the great opening scream I didn't think it was too wonderful. Seeing the energy behind the song's performance on this tour and how great it comes across as a show opener, I've really started liking it a lot more.

2. Shackler's Revenge - I didn't like it at all when I first heard it. I thought it sounded terrible. However, the live version really comes across great. I definitely like this song more now.

3. Scraped - Again, I didn't think much of this song at first, but I really think the performances of it on this tour have been some of the best. Even though Axl tends to jumble the lyrics (He's always done that quite a bit, hasn't he? Wonder what gives there... ) there is a ton of power and energy. Plus the way it has been intro'd with the heavy drums is outstanding.

4. If The World - Similar to the above - but also I actually enjoy the song a lot more after hearing Axl's description of how it ncame about. Somehow, that little tidbit of knowledge has helped me enjoy the track more... plus, I think the band plays it very well live.

5. Madagascar - This is the song that has changed the most in my opinion... going back to the 2001 performance I thought it was horrid. That whole episode was horrid, really, but I really just detested the performance of this song at the MTV awards. I liked it a lot more when I bought the album and listened to it a few times, and this tour has really cemented it for me as a good song. Strange, though, since it sounds pretty much the same as it always has... I dunno.

Anybody else have some similar thoughts?

After listening to these performances I am astonished by how unfinished Chinese Democracy was. My opinion of the studio versions have not changed however. Just the fact that Scraped could have been so much better with drums in the beginning, or ITW could have been longer, Better with louder keyboards in the intro, ect.

I was already in love with Chinese Democracy like I said a few times, I didn't know shit about GNR in 2008 (believe it or not, most young folks in France have never heard of GNR and I never saw any advertising here and almost NEVER hear them on the radio -never ever heard a CD song on the radio-), I knew every track of VR (Slash had a lot of promotion however between Contraband which was a hit and guitar hero III where you basically saw him everywhere) but just about 5 or 6 from GNR -the biggest hits- and when Chinese Democracy came out with NO promotion but a poor poster in the biggest Paris CD store, it made me curious, everybody was giving shitty critics about the album over here in France except one famous critic who gave him a 4 out 5 stars review, so I decided to give it a go and heard the story of a man there and it blew me away so I had to buy all of the other GNR records and live hahaha.

I only disliked Rhiad N' The Bedouins (I still don't like it even if I recognize it's a great challenge for Axl's vocals). But I enjoyed or loved every other track (my favourites: TIL/TWAT/SOD which happen to be some of my favourite GNR tracks next to Estranged/ Human Being/ November Rain/Sweet Child O' Mine/ Paradise City/ Nightrain/ Coma/ You could be mine/ Down on the farm). The live performances really made them a lot better, I absolutely can't go through a week of my life without listening to Chinese democracy and running in the fields with my bandana (true story). What can I say, I'm PUMPED :xmasssanta:

i think seeing totally new songs preformed well just gave me more faith in them. enspecially ones people were skeptical of, like shacklers. to see it not only handled, but nailed, takes it up a notch.

agreed. I didn't really like Shacklers or IRS all that much before I heard them live. Now that I have, I appreciate them a whole lot more. I wonder if this was Axls intention all along- knowing that the songs would sound much better live than on cd :shrugs:

I always liked Shackler's, but after hearing it live I know that is the true form in which it's meant to be heard. The band has been on fire for the performances of it during this tour.

I never cared for Scraped, but seeing it live last night has definitely changed my opinion. The drum intro is awesome and it's a strong track. Works well live too.

If The World is another that was meant to be played live. Absolutely killer performance last night!

There Was A Time was not only a pleasant surprise in the setlist but Bumblefoot nailed the solo and Axl nailed the screams.

Overall I'd say my opinion of the album hasn't changed all that much, but the songs really come to life in a live setting.

I love the album but I think all the songs sound better live.

True. The studio recording sucks because of all the layers and ProTools. In comparison, Death Magnetic studio recording also sucks but that's because the gain was turned up on every eq on that mixing board. Seeing it live though? Its unreal how good it is. Same with most of the CD songs. I think they'd benefit greatly from a general strip down - taking out some of the strings, the gay MLK speech, all the digital garbage that Axl was obsessed with. Alot of the songs get way more complicated than they should.

The songs sound better live, but I'm not a fan of Axl using pre-recorded backing vocals on some of the songs. Why can't one of the other guys do it like on the older songs?

They change, I saw the osaka they used backing track or something. But in another show... cant remember which :( Buckethead and tommy sang backing vocals.

My opinion of the album hasn't changed. It's way overproduced and this kills some of the music. The songs are awesome if they are only performed in a more stripped back way.

My opinion on one thing has changed, and that's how kick ass the band is live. Actually I always thought they were. But if we are being honest, Axl wasn't right in 2002 and 2006. Good in some songs, but not right in most. As of right now though, Axl is truly back. Also, Thal kicked so much ass last night. My opinion of him has changed for sure. I didn't like his crazy shredding much before because it just sounded like a lot of wanking. But last night it sounded great, there was a tune being played there, not just a bunch of shredding. When it was shredding it sounded coherent (I don't mind shredding per se). Maybe he's just a lot more comfortable now and has everything down pat whereas before he didn't have enough time to perfect his parts.

I have to wonder about one thing...if Axl's voice was this good during the recording of Chinese Democracy, would he have used so much studio trickery? I would be so down for them re-recording the album in quick order, and since the band and Axl are so on their game it wouldn't take long. Just go to the studio and re-do the album in one or two days. Has an album ever been re-released with a different mix? Maybe they could offer it as a download for people who get the next album. Give them a code to enter online or something. This will never happen of course, but IMO the album truly deserves a rawer sound. Oh well, for all I know Axl would disagree and is happy with the finished product.

I’m going to the T.O. show and I absolutely love CD. But I’m really looking forward to hear these songs without all the over produced bells and whistles that Axl added to them on the album. I find a lot of the songs imo are way to “dense” if you know what I mean. It’s like way to much gravy on a really sweet piece of prime rib. Mind you the gravy is very tasty but finally we get to taste mostly meat at these shows. From what I have seen on you tube I’m getting goose bumps thinking about it.

sitting in the golden circle..listening to Catcher....the album sounds WEAK now! :D esp after the extension they put on it in Saskatoon. Missed getting a handshake during the concert by about 2", oh well. :) it was enough that he made eye contact with me during it. AWESOME SHOW. the song runs about 9 mins with the intro he did at the show and the extension. *2 mins of talking*.