Secret Gigs Are Stupid

springclean

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People rave about the current tour because they don't get CD and are happy Axl wears a bandana in a band that nails SCOM but the rare breed of fans with an opinion and the balls to voice it bitches because it's the CD tour and those very songs (CD) just sounded lightyears better with Bucket and Finck on guitar.

It's pure irony, I wouldn't wanna be in Axl's shows keeping all this together. For what it is, he does a great job though.

Don't get CD? Now you're just being patronising! I've followed every bit of CD from the first leaks through all the bootlegs and band changes to the finished product for over a decade and as i've said before it's probably the most personal of all the GnR records for me!

If you have followed CD ever since and it has become personal how does it feel to watch Bumble and DJ play these songs to a bunch of supermodels or half empty venues?

Edited by springclean

People rave about the current tour because they don't get CD and are happy Axl wears a bandana in a band that nails SCOM but the rare breed of fans with an opinion and the balls to voice it bitches because it's the CD tour and those very songs (CD) just sounded lightyears better with Bucket and Finck on guitar.

It's pure irony, I wouldn't wanna be in Axl's shows keeping all this together. For what it is, he does a great job though.

Don't get CD? Now you're just being patronising! I've followed every bit of CD from the first leaks through all the bootlegs and band changes to the finished product for over a decade and as i've said before it's probably the most personal of all the GnR records for me!

If you have followed CD ever since and it has become personal how does it feel to watch Bumble and DJ play these songs to a bunch of supermodels or half empty venues?

I'm guessing about the same as it did watching Bucket, Robin and the rest of the band butchering Jungle and Paradise City to a bunch of Teeny Boppers and Suits at the VMA's but I guess I got over it eh?

The 2002 and 2006 tours both had their share of half empty venues. You appear to be pining for a golden age of GnR that never existed.

These aren't Bucket and Robin's songs, they've evolved over a period of years with loads of different additions from loads of different artists. The reason it's so personal is that i've listened to many of the songs in many different incarnations over a number of years throughout their evolution.

The difference between CD and almost any other album is that it's not arrived fully formed, we've seen it take shape and develop over years and in a weird kind of way i think that gives ownership of it to the fans in a way that isn't the case with most other records.

Bumble wrote and recorded parts of CD by the way so he's at least partially entitled to play it. Why aren't you wanting Paul Tobias back to play these gigs? He was just as instrumental in the creation of CD as both Bucket and Robin! How about Josh Freese on the Drums? Most of Brain's and Hence Frank's drumming was taken from his original work after all.

Bands and lineups change, it's a fact of life fella!

BH and Robin and Co did not butcher PC and WTTJ at the VMAS, the band sounded great, Axl was the only one who butchered the songs.

As for the CD songs are not Robins and BHs , of course they are, Esp with BH since he wrote the majority of the guitar parts for the album.

All Ron did was add a few fills and here there which were not needed BTW, the songs sounded fine before his two cents, and he redid (worse might I add) two of BHs solos.

As for Brain redoing Josh's, the drums are a mix of Josh's and Brains parts, but Id much rather have Josh on drums than Brain and I love Brain. Josh is the best drummer gnr ever had.

And lastly Tobais, I would much rather have him playing than Fortus. Richard is a great guitar player, but Tobais wrote the songs and did his parts just fine.

What's the point other than fun playing secret gigs to 100? people when thousands of fans around the world are waiting to see the band in an actual concert? They could play major shows in New York, London, Berlin...film a music video...play on television....do something on YouTube...promote the album...call Buckethead...thousands better things to do than playing to a bunch of fashion people calling it a "secret gig".

jajaja it will be nice a very very secret gig in mexico city

BH and Robin and Co did not butcher PC and WTTJ at the VMAS, the band sounded great, Axl was the only one who butchered the songs.

As for the CD songs are not Robins and BHs , of course they are, Esp with BH since he wrote the majority of the guitar parts for the album.

My main point being that he was saying it was wrong for Bumble and DJ to play CD songs to an audience who weren't bothered. It's no worse than Bucket and Robin playing Slash and Izzy's parts on the VMA's.

This band have changed so much in the past decade that it seems daft to get precious over lineup changes.

Basically you have a cover band playing AFD songs and the CD songs another cover band wrote who was also playing the old bands AFD songs.

It is kind of funny when you look at it like this, you have a cover band covering a cover band.

Only in the world of Gnr

My main point being that he was saying it was wrong for Bumble and DJ to play CD songs to an audience who weren't bothered. It's no worse than Bucket and Robin playing Slash and Izzy's parts on the VMA's.

This band have changed so much in the past decade that it seems daft to get precious over lineup changes.

Basically you have a cover band playing AFD songs and the CD songs another cover band wrote who was also playing the old bands AFD songs.

It is kind of funny when you look at it like this, you have a cover band covering a cover band.

Only in the world of Gnr

So what are u gonna about it?

Last i checked from 91-93 GNR had 2 replacements.

Hell, Slash, Duff, and Steven, we're replacements too!

GNR has been getting replacemnents since 86' get over it.

Springclean what 2009-2010 shows have you attended?

Yeah man. That's something I'd like an answer to as well. From where I stood, the last Toronto show was awesome!! I really have no complaints. My big wish would be to be present at one of these secret gigs. Fuck me. That would be so cool that I might just die on the spot. Which would suck. But at least I'd die a happy guy!!

Only in the world of Gnr

And then we have people like you who feel the need to post that every single day. Honestly dave, what's your motivation for being here... is trolling fun for you? I would have thought you'd stick to the Old GN'R sections if that's what you want to discuss.

As for people asking to lock the thread - as long as it stays on topic and people remain respectful of one another (which up to this point, they haven't really), then the thread will remain open.

God people come up with some stupid shit to say though... like, REALLY? Criticising the secret gigs? :huh:

Springclean what 2009-2010 shows have you attended?

Dude THEY DON'T EVEN PLAY IN MY FUCKIN' COUNTRY and since I'm not on the supermodel and fanboy gueslist either my honest answer is ZERO.

I've followed the band since 1987 and I don't think I have to attend every single show to afford an opinion about their current state.

You can tell by a shitty YouTube clip that AXL IS USING PLAYBACK FOR CERTAIN PARTS and in an 8-piece band that is just lame.

Last time I saw him in concert at least it was 100% live.

Sorry, I take back my apology, you really are a dickhead! How on earth do you work out that they sound sterile and generic?

By sterile and generic I mean they lack the organic and unpredictable. Yes, they click like a clockwork and make it sound just like on the record but is that what THIS MUSIC needs? Think Axl coming out playing WTTJ on the piano, covering Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga, pissing all over the setlist, that would be GNR. DJ playing a 20 minute solo, Bumble making at least ONE FUCKING MISTAKE in his nerdy note-by-note shredding. Stuff like that. Most people will disagree but the 2006 tour was in many ways MUCH better it just had a weaker setlist but it was darker and edgier. The bandana and Whole Lotta Rosie is the LAST thing I would care for at a CHINESE DEMOCRACY tour concert.

How could you want them to cover songs if that's the "LAST thing you would care for at a CHINESE DEMOCRACY tour concert"? Also, they have played Whole Lotta Rosie and covered the Jackson 5 in Asia, didn't they? And as Dazed&Confused said, Buckethead is even more "perfect" than Bumblefoot. Your contradictions make you and your posts look stupid, I hope you aren't being serious.

Edited by Mike Honcho

How could you want them to cover songs if that's the "LAST thing you would care for at a CHINESE DEMOCRACY tour concert"? Also, they have played Whole Lotta Rosie and covered the Jackson 5 in Asia, didn't they? And as Dazed&Confused said, Buckethead is even more "perfect" than Bumblefoot. Your contradictions make you and your posts look stupid, I hope you aren't being serious.

Because they been covering that song in 87 already and with three guitar players now in 2010 I was hoping for something a little more progressive than covering AC/DC.

Bumblefoot plays perfect. Buckethead plays complete. Big difference.

Only in the world of Gnr

And then we have people like you who feel the need to post that every single day. Honestly dave, what's your motivation for being here... is trolling fun for you? I would have thought you'd stick to the Old GN'R sections if that's what you want to discuss.

As for people asking to lock the thread - as long as it stays on topic and people remain respectful of one another (which up to this point, they haven't really), then the thread will remain open.

God people come up with some stupid shit to say though... like, REALLY? Criticising the secret gigs? :huh:

^ This sums up my feelings nicely, every single word!! It never ceases to amaze me the level of stupidity some people manage to attain, And can the cupcake find a bridge to guard so nobody is subject to his repulsive, repetitive comments?

Nice Post!! :thumbsup:

Only in the world of Gnr

Sorry if the truth hurts.

You will just have to deal with it, nothing I said is not true. And I was just backing up what that other poster said.

Only in the world of Gnr

You will just have to deal with it, nothing I said is not true. And I was just backing up what that other poster said.

Yes, because we all know that your opinion on everything is 'the truth'. Thanks for enlightening us. :rolleyes: How can you be so arrogant?

Only in the world of Gnr

Yes, because we all know that your opinion on everything is 'the truth'. Thanks for enlightening us. :rolleyes: How can you be so arrogant?

I know people like you on here dont like using common sense but how many years did it take CD to come out after they canceled those shows that Axl claimed was to finished up the album and release it.

The answer is TWO, you really dont think they could have finished those 4 or 5 shows and still released the album on the same day it was released?

Its one thing if they canceled those shows then released CD that next summer but that is not what happened.

Edited by gnr-dave

Only in the world of Gnr

There is something wrong with you. I find it odd that you obsess on something that you have no part in creating. Like Slash and Adler, you are stuck in the past. The version of Guns N Roses that you loved died 17 years ago. This is a new version that is beginning to make its own way. Sure it plays material from the old version, but one of the two main creators of that music and its voice leads this band. The reality is that you have issues with change. Just like Slash did. The reason Slash wouldn't change is because he couldn't. He is not a natural songwriter. The creative force behind Guns was Axl and Izzy. Slash didn't even know what to do with a good rift like Jungle or Sweet Child. It was Axl who recognized the genius and wrote the structure of those songs. Izzy wrote most of the GnR classics.

Main point - the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. Bitching about what Axl did to the old GnR is not going to make him quit on his new version. You'd be a lot happier if you got some help for your insanity.

Those who can't do, often have to preach (or criticize on message boards).

Only in the world of Gnr

There is something wrong with you. I find it odd that you obsess on something that you have no part in creating. Like Slash and Adler, you are stuck in the past. The version of Guns N Roses that you loved died 17 years ago. This is a new version that is beginning to make its own way. Sure it plays material from the old version, but one of the two main creators of that music and its voice leads this band. The reality is that you have issues with change. Just like Slash did. The reason Slash wouldn't change is because he couldn't. He is not a natural songwriter. The creative force behind Guns was Axl and Izzy. Slash didn't even know what to do with a good rift like Jungle or Sweet Child. It was Axl who recognized the genius and wrote the structure of those songs. Izzy wrote most of the GnR classics.

Main point - the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. Bitching about what Axl did to the old GnR is not going to make him quit on his new version. You'd be a lot happier if you got some help for your insanity.

Those who can't do, often have to preach (or criticize on message boards).

You really do have a shitty memory, and the mods wonder why I have to repeat myself its for brain damaged people like you.

I am NOT even talking about the AFD era of guns n roses, Stay with me here ok, we are talking about the CD version of guns n roses and guess what? Axl does not even have them anymore, he has replacements for that band did.

You dont find that ridiculous? And yes the creator if the classic band was Axl and Izzy and the creator of the CD era was Axl, Paul and BH, and guess what only Axl is left for BOTH VERSIONS.

The fact is, since Izzy left the band Axl has had ZERO hits.

And your hero Axl is stuck in the past since he always bitches about the old band during his shows, or are you too brain damaged to even remember that? So you should make post Axl why are you stuck in the past, but of course you kiss Axls ass so you wont do that.

Oh and axl cant with out Izzy, he proved that with the flop of CD

Only in the world of Gnr

I know people like you on here dont like using common sense but how many years did it take CD to come out after they canceled those shows that Axl claimed was to finished up the album and release it.

The answer is TWO, you really dont think they could have finished those 4 or 5 shows and still released the album on the same day it was released?

Its one thing if they canceled those shows then released CD that next summer but that is not what happened.

How does your reply event pertain to my post? It's nice to see how you pigeon-hole people through your self-perceived, deluded notions by the mere act of them just disagreeing with you. You are absolutely ridiculous. You don't know a thing about objectivity. Years ago when you supported everything Axl did you used the same rhetoric. You only deal in absolutes. Thus, you are highly irrational.

Edited by IndiannaRose

How does your reply event pertain to my post? It's nice to see how you pigeon-hole people through your self-perceived, deluded notions by the mere act of them just disagreeing with you. You are absolutely ridiculous. You don't know a thing about objectivity. Years ago when you supported everything Axl did you used the same rhetoric. You only deal in absolutes. Thus, you are highly irrational.

Well said Indy. Anyone that disagrees with Dave has "no common sense" :rolleyes: And you're dead right. Dave has just swung from one side to other like a pendulum.

Ali

Only in the world of Gnr

You are the one and others like you on this board that are not objectionable. You are too scared or ignorant to call Axl on it when he is being an asshole or when he is wrong.

You need to step into reality one of these days, a lot of people do and stop looking through (Axl) Rose colored classes.

And I stand by what I said, secret gigs are stupid when its not even real fans at the shows and its just the trendy people who dont even know the new songs or who the new members even are.

You cannot honestly disagree with that.

Edited by gnr-dave