Secret Gigs Are Stupid

springclean

Axl's deserved every bit of criticism he's received. He's done a handful of shows in '09-'10 and all of a sudden its the greatest thing in the world? This 'band' won't be a band until they all write a (good) record. That's why the old GNR are so endearing..aside from the tour, they ALL made 3 very good records. These cover musicians playing Axl's vision of a record don't count as a band. Axl and the Yes Men...that'd be a cool name for this band...it'd be calling a spade a spade.

Hey George??

Why are you here exactly anyway? :question:

This kind of posting is very tired and old. :sleeper:

I don't understand you at all. :crazy:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl's deserved every bit of criticism he's received. He's done a handful of shows in '09-'10 and all of a sudden its the greatest thing in the world? This 'band' won't be a band until they all write a (good) record. That's why the old GNR are so endearing..aside from the tour, they ALL made 3 very good records. These cover musicians playing Axl's vision of a record don't count as a band. Axl and the Yes Men...that'd be a cool name for this band...it'd be calling a spade a spade.

Hey George??

Why are you here exactly anyway? :question:

This kind of posting is very tired and old. :sleeper:

I don't understand you at all. :crazy:

I consider myself a talkative person. I respet him but i´m not agree.

CD is a very good album. It´s true that for me it´s the worst GNR album but still is good enough.

The band is playing so good and Axl is singing as good as in the 90´s ... that´s the reason most of us are happy. That´s not to be a yes man... I´m not Jarmo, Sir.

The only problem with secret gigs, not many real fans get in, its just the wannabe's and the elites who get to go because its the "cool" thing to do.

LIke someone from another board said, not many at the show even knew the words to the CD songs they played.

If you are going to have secret gigs, at least let the real fans go. Gnr should just do a club tour, they could hit all the major cities.

Theres going be a US tour for all the "real" fans in "late summer" according to Frank. but what does he know?! he's just the drummer in GNR, i'm sure some "demi god" forum member can tell us the real facts, and bitch and moan about the club gigs.

GNR are internationally popular and could easily sell out whereever they play and never have to step foot on an American stage again, plus it's a good excuse to take a vacation.

When the time comes for GNR to book a US tour, they're going to play arenas, and prob. have no problem packing the venue, but I don't know if they'll all be guaranteed sellouts.

I like the idea of them playing multinight shows in one city like LA, NYC or Las Vegas, instead of touring everywhere, and if they don't have to keep breaking equipment down. Rent out a venue for a week or two... Springsteen was playing the LA Forum over Staples because he liked how it sounded there better and the venue is a lot more intimate in comparison to Staples where box seats push people way up and out into nosebleeds. Nokia Live would be the best place because it's a little bit smaller than an arena, and everyone has a good seat, but problem is it's not set up for people to stand near the stage.

I doubt they could sell out MSG with this lineup ever but a US tour would be very nice. They play in the last shithole for everyone and his ass but the US fans are worth shit or what?

They will always sell out MSG with any lineup but the tent pole gigs in the big cities aren't enough to make a full tour worthwhile.

The fact is that whether you like it or not the US isn't the immediate focus of this tour purely because the band are statistically more popular in other countries. Before anybody has a go at me i'm totally not dissing the US fan base, i'm just saying that they need this tour to build up a head of steam and positive publicity before attempting a US tour again.

By playing Asia, South America and Europe(?) first the word will get round and they can be more confident of decent ticket sales in the harder to crack US market.

If they'd booked a US tour first I honestly don't think it would've sold very well but now with a positive buzz and no doubt some great footage from the upcoming South American Stadium shows a summer US tour will fare considerably better.

What does everybody else think?

GNR are internationally popular and could easily sell out whereever they play and never have to step foot on an American stage again, plus it's a good excuse to take a vacation.

When the time comes for GNR to book a US tour, they're going to play arenas, and prob. have no problem packing the venue, but I don't know if they'll all be guaranteed sellouts.

I like the idea of them playing multinight shows in one city like LA, NYC or Las Vegas, instead of touring everywhere, and if they don't have to keep breaking equipment down. Rent out a venue for a week or two... Springsteen was playing the LA Forum over Staples because he liked how it sounded there better and the venue is a lot more intimate in comparison to Staples where box seats push people way up and out into nosebleeds. Nokia Live would be the best place because it's a little bit smaller than an arena, and everyone has a good seat, but problem is it's not set up for people to stand near the stage.

I doubt they could sell out MSG with this lineup ever but a US tour would be very nice. They play in the last shithole for everyone and his ass but the US fans are worth shit or what?

They will always sell out MSG with any lineup but the tent pole gigs in the big cities aren't enough to make a full tour worthwhile.

The fact is that whether you like it or not the US isn't the immediate focus of this tour purely because the band are statistically more popular in other countries. Before anybody has a go at me i'm totally not dissing the US fan base, i'm just saying that they need this tour to build up a head of steam and positive publicity before attempting a US tour again.

By playing Asia, South America and Europe(?) first the word will get round and they can be more confident of decent ticket sales in the harder to crack US market.

If they'd booked a US tour first I honestly don't think it would've sold very well but now with a positive buzz and no doubt some great footage from the upcoming South American Stadium shows a summer US tour will fare considerably better.

What does everybody else think?

Maybe yes, maybe not... who knows?

The only problem with secret gigs, not many real fans get in, its just the wannabe's and the elites who get to go because its the "cool" thing to do.

LIke someone from another board said, not many at the show even knew the words to the CD songs they played.

If you are going to have secret gigs, at least let the real fans go. Gnr should just do a club tour, they could hit all the major cities.

That's more like what I was trying to say.

It might be some kind of promotion to play for some in-people, but what does it do to your fanbase other than dividing it to "on the list" and "not on the list" people? They could as well play in someone's livng room and invite press and photographers, it would have the same effect as those "gigs". I don't criticise the band for having fun, but I think it's lame for Axl to close his lowest rant ever with "secret gigs coming" and then it turns out to be private shows for anyone but the real fans, like that asian guy who sang all the songs in his videos, that's a fan.

What's the point other than fun playing secret gigs to 100? people when thousands of fans around the world are waiting to see the band in an actual concert? They could play major shows in New York, London, Berlin...film a music video...play on television....do something on YouTube...promote the album...call Buckethead...thousands better things to do than playing to a bunch of fashion people calling it a "secret gig".

Jesus.

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Thank you.

It would be much better if they played in any TV program like SNL, than do a bunch of concerts to a bunch of rich people who are not die hard fans, and sometimes are not even fans. The real fans have to see it throw the computer, just as if they were not in their country or in their town.

I remember when Nine Inch Nails were doing secret shows for Year Zero, everybody on their board was like "awesome !!" even though they didn't have the opportunity to attend these secret shows.

With GnR, and especially this board, I must say the reaction is quite different :rolleyes:

Guns N' Roses fans are very different and you should already know that, being one.

I hope they play a fan gig in US before South America.

Edited by ManetsBR

I don't get why its so bad for somebody who wishes to see the band but can't because the shows are so exclusive to feel kinda fucked over. I mean Axl did mention these gigs, "for the rest of us" in his long winded internet badass post, but oh I must be looking too much into that or something :rolleyes:

Jesus.

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Thank you.

Not to get into that whole religion thing and all but you really shouldn't tell Jesus to shut the fuck up.

At least he was polite about it.

Back on topic, what makes so many think that those who attended these gigs were not fans? I suspect they were fans.

For late night TV, Kimmel or Fallon. Craig Ferguson would be good, too (and he used to be a musician).

Other than that, Fuse is the only music channel worth going on. VH1 Classic would be good, if he went on "That Metal Show", only because Eddie Trunk hosts the show and odds might be good that Axl would go on there.

I think NIN put the club shows out as a first come first served, and through his website.

It would be much better if they played in any TV program like SNL, than do a bunch of concerts to a bunch of rich people who are not die hard fans, and sometimes are not even fans. The real fans have to see it throw the computer, just as if they were not in their country or in their town.

I remember when Nine Inch Nails were doing secret shows for Year Zero, everybody on their board was like "awesome !!" even though they didn't have the opportunity to attend these secret shows.

With GnR, and especially this board, I must say the reaction is quite different :rolleyes:

Guns N' Roses fans are very different and you should already know that, being one.

I hope they play a fan gig in US before South America.

Jesus.

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Thank you.

Not to get into that whole religion thing and all but you really shouldn't tell Jesus to shut the fuck up.

Lol.

Seriously though... who the hell does this guy think he is? I'm happy the band is doing something. You think all fans would be.

It's pathetic.

I don't get why its so bad for somebody who wishes to see the band but can't because the shows are so exclusive to feel kinda fucked over. I mean Axl did mention these gigs, "for the rest of us" in his long winded internet badass post, but oh I must be looking too much into that or something :rolleyes:

First of all people can get to see the band if they want to, ON THE TOUR!!!! How do you seriously think Axl could arrange a small club gig without making it an invite only or a lottery or even making the tickets cost thousands?

The demand would be far too big, FACT! Either that or it would cause riots and injury to fans and possibly the band.

Also how do you know he doesn't have anything planned for the rest of us? There've only been two gigs so far. There may be something else planned!

The original poster is a dickhead!

Im pretty sure the only people complaining about this are in the US, where the tour isn't happening, but surprise gigs are

I just find it humorous that the same people who were all excited at the mention of surprise gigs after Axl's madison rant are now telling people to fuck off for thinking it's lame that none of us really have access to them. It's a strange scenario, even for "Guns N' Roses". The mob mentality of the fans is getting more and more pathetic as time goes by, anybody who questions anything is instantly labeled a hater, or a dickhead as you put it. Fuckin stupid if you ask me

How would he lose money if a small number of people were going to the shows and the show was being sponsored by a tequila company? Sounds like a paid gig to me.

Sometimes a surprise show is a first come first served situation, and sometimes it's a 'private party' where the manager handled the logistics of how many and who is going to show up.

Why do so many here attack me for daring to not totally love each and everything the band does?

Okay, I take back the personal insult. I apologise it was out of order.

You do seem to be making a massive fuss over nothing though. You'll get your gig, you just need to wait your turn like all the rest of us.

Why should you be entitled to be one of a select few at one of these gigs any more than anybody else?

If Axl puts on a bunch of free "fan" gigs it'd be a logistical nightmare and maybe even lose him revenue as fans then wouldn't bother paying to see the band on tour.

These kind of gigs happen all the time and have to be guests only or they simply couldn't work.

First of all people can get to see the band if they want to, ON THE TOUR!!!! How do you seriously think Axl could arrange a small club gig without making it an invite only or a lottery or even making the tickets cost thousands?

The demand would be far too big, FACT! Either that or it would cause riots and injury to fans and possibly the band.

Also how do you know he doesn't have anything planned for the rest of us? There've only been two gigs so far. There may be something else planned!

Im pretty sure the only people complaining about this are in the US, where the tour isn't happening, but surprise gigs are

I just find it humorous that the same people who were all excited at the mention of surprise gigs after Axl's madison rant are now telling people to fuck off for thinking it's lame that none of us really have access to them. It's a strange scenario, even for "Guns N' Roses". The mob mentality of the fans is getting more and more pathetic as time goes by, anybody who questions anything is instantly labeled a hater, or a dickhead as you put it. Fuckin stupid if you ask me

What the hell is your point? Are you complaining too that they're doing these surprise/exclusive gigs?

5 months ago: "Why don't they just play some small shows in NYC to get there name back out there again, for fuck sake why can't this band do anything right"

Today: "I can't believe their playing these small shows in NYC and getting their name back out there and not inviting a hand full of fans for something that's meant to be a surprise to them, for fuck sake this band can't do anything right"

Alternative reality: "I can't believe their playing these small shows in NYC and getting their name back out there and not inviting big wig names to see this band in action, the fans know they can play, why are they inviting the fans, for fuck sake this band can't do anything right"