What other rock bands do you think inspired the sound of Chinese Democracy?

Towelie

better = tool

I don't see that I havent listend to much Tool but I laways think of dark spacey epics. CD has a Dream Theatre element but I can't put my finger on it.

At first I just thought Better was SCOM meets NIN. It's like the anti-SCOM, anti-love song?

I'd love to hear this band cover Closer, Killing in the Name Of, Jesus Christ Pose.

I sort of hear Better in something like Parabola by Tool.

Edited by wasted

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always say that the breakdown in Better is inspired by Death/Metalcore. While I hate that genre, it's almost uncanny in terms of similarity.

I see it as the NIN moment. Maybe on The Fragile or Perfect Drug single, I pretty sure the remix had something similar. It is a bit Megadave, Rust In Peace. Finck wrote the song so it sort of makes me think it has NIN-quality but it's hard to pin down cos there's so much more going on. Like the weird distorted warble sound like something off a Ween album.

Yea that was my alternative, but my friend listens to a lot of Death/metalcore and the breakdowns are always in the same style as it is in Better.

It makes sense since they emphasize breakdowns, that would make Better a melodic metalcore song? I don't think I've consciously listened to a metalcore album. Is Bullet for My Valentine metalcore?

I think the closest I've come is Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil. I think I've heard something like the Better breakdown on something like that or Odelay by Beck.

I hear some Machina: Machines of God on Prostitute and somehow TWAT is very Pearl Jam in the Long Time parts.

Yea Avenged Sevenfold and BFMV are metalcore.

I will always say that the breakdown in Better is inspired by Death/Metalcore. While I hate that genre, it's almost uncanny in terms of similarity.

I see it as the NIN moment. Maybe on The Fragile or Perfect Drug single, I pretty sure the remix had something similar. It is a bit Megadave, Rust In Peace. Finck wrote the song so it sort of makes me think it has NIN-quality but it's hard to pin down cos there's so much more going on. Like the weird distorted warble sound like something off a Ween album.

Yea that was my alternative, but my friend listens to a lot of Death/metalcore and the breakdowns are always in the same style as it is in Better.

It makes sense since they emphasize breakdowns, that would make Better a melodic metalcore song? I don't think I've consciously listened to a metalcore album. Is Bullet for My Valentine metalcore?

I think the closest I've come is Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil. I think I've heard something like the Better breakdown on something like that or Odelay by Beck.

I hear some Machina: Machines of God on Prostitute and somehow TWAT is very Pearl Jam in the Long Time parts.

Yea Avenged Sevenfold and BFMV are metalcore.

CD is crazy good record, you could hear just about anything in most of the songs. Like on Madagascar is that Massive Attack, Kasmir or the Warfare Rocky theme? And then someone else will hear something else completely.