How about FULL ALBUMS in concert?

springclean

I agree about the GNR-educator thing, it's really annoying.

Anyway, I did some research (wikipedia :lol: ) and apparently the venues have to pay a licensing fee to ASCAP and then pretty much any music that was created by members of ASCAP can be played at the venue. ASCAP then distributes the money they get from the fees, to the copyright holders based on how many times a band's songs were played and what kind of venue was it (there's a difference between a playing a song in a bar or in a stadium of course). Of course ASCAP also gets money from other fees for playing songs on radio, TV, bars, shopping malls etc and i'd imagine that ASCAP(and therefore copyright holders aswell) get a lot more money from radio fees rather than fees from concert venues.

So basically nobody pays Izzy, Slash and Duff directly when GNR songs are played live but it has a (very small I think) effect on how much money they get from ASCAP every year. And new GNR can play whatever song they want without paying anyone, and that includes their own songs :)

I don't know how they monitor what songs are played live though, seems like an almost impossible thing to do. Maybe I just misunderstood something :shrugs:

Edited by Shoot2Thrill

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

its rediculous that AXL refuses to play anything off UYI except 2 dumb covers. These are great albums with great songs. GET A CLUE AXL, and give the fans what we want. HOW HARD OF A CONCEPT IS THAT???

In before a GNR-educator™ tells you that NR and YCBM are not covers.

Last I heard it's a publishing rights thing these two songs belong to the AFD era rights so he can play them plus the covers.

VR didn't play any UYI material either, did they?

Well,why couldn't he play Breakdown and Coma if he is credited as sole writer? I know that Slash,Duff,Izzy,etc. get $ when songs they wrote are performed in concert by GNR.

thats not true

Another GNR-educator? Did Izzy,Slash and Duff sign away their rights to those songs? Read the previous pages,artists get paid when their songs are played live by other bands.

I say this as respectfully as possible, but can you just shut the fuck up with all this GNR-Educator shit? First off, none of us even know what the fuck it means, secondly it makes you look like an asshole every time you say it, and finally, I seriously doubt you actually trademarked it.

That is all.

It's on a need to know basis,Broham. Don't worry about the trademarks. I have never seen people get so worked up over a word.

Care to explain a bit better?

BBA started it,does that help? In a nutshell, a GNR-Educator is someone on here who is around 14-21 or so that wasn't around for AFD/UYI,yet they feel the need to educate people who were around then on GNR. Nobody is saying that they aren't big GNR fans. They just need to not tell people what GNR was like back in the day based on youtube videos and old magazine scans.

Someone that's been in a successful band for years LOVES when there are young fans and new faces at the shows. It has to be depressing to see an audience growing old with them. . I don't mind if someone just getting into their music wants to write about music that came out before their parents were born (assuming their parents were born in '89, and had kids in 2006 on). People now love a wider variety of styles than they did back in 1980-whatever. Things were pretty one dimensional, come to think of it.

As far as when songs are performed in concert, and the songwriters eventually get a piece, for what, 7 cents, if that? It all depends on whether or not someone logged it and ASCAP/BMI/SESAC got it, and also depends on the country. Italy has some grey area going for it, because for a long time they were releasing bootlegs as if they were authorized recordings, and I think there were actually royalties sitting somewhere if the band wanted them.

I'm sure if it was up to Axl, he'd rather see former members of GNR get nada, but odds are with all the other areas he makes money in, it's prob. not all that much. Where he might prob. get pissed about splitting royalties are when they license the songs out.

There's a clear reason they don't play the UYI material and it's pretty simple if you think about it. Right now, the setlist is constructed in a "hit, CD, hit, CD, hit, CD" format. Every song that isn't from CD is a well known song from AFD or UYI. Those are the songs that get the crowd pumped up. Now since this is the Chinese Democracy tour, CD has priority over UYI. If they played songs like Locomotive AND CD songs, the majority of casual fans wouldn't know the songs and they'd get mighty bored, so they leave UYI alone. Make sense?

There's a clear reason they don't play the UYI material and it's pretty simple if you think about it. Right now, the setlist is constructed in a "hit, CD, hit, CD, hit, CD" format. Every song that isn't from CD is a well known song from AFD or UYI. Those are the songs that get the crowd pumped up. Now since this is the Chinese Democracy tour, CD has priority over UYI. If they played songs like Locomotive AND CD songs, the majority of casual fans wouldn't know the songs and they'd get mighty bored, so they leave UYI alone. Make sense?

But Civil War, Yesterdays, The Garden and of course Estranged for example

I see what your saying, but to not play those songs now and then is so odd, must be a another reason, Axl has no probelm boring the crowd with 4 guitar solos and a drum solo, I doubt he's worried about boring the crowd with those classics.

I see what your saying, but to not play those songs now and then is so odd, must be a another reason, Axl has no probelm boring the crowd with 4 guitar solos and a drum solo, I doubt he's worried about boring the crowd with those classics.

At the show I went to, no one was bored during the three guitar solos. The six-CD song in a row marathon on the other hand, yes.

And you actually think they'd even CONSIDER playing The Garden?

At the show I went to, no one was bored during the three guitar solos. The six-CD song in a row marathon on the other hand, yes.

And you actually think they'd even CONSIDER playing The Garden?

What a dumb ass crowd, bored during CD songs but not during a pink panter solo, that's truly something, bothers me.

Maybe not The Garden, that's my dream, honestly though I think a few UYI's songs will be played at the SA gigs, those crowds have taste.

There's also something like 5-6 solos, and as the tour progresses, there will be songs added and songs dropped off the setlist. I'm assuming most people going to the show know all the songs from the past, and might be the least familiar with CD. Might be hearing it for the first time at the show, and as anyone knows, most songs that you might not have cared for on the CD, might be a thousand times better live. And some songs don't work live... this is in general for any band.

Plus I'm assuming the songs themselves might go longer or shorter as the tour progresses.