We've got the rock but where is the roll?

Vincent Vega

In a lot of modern rock (I'd say since Grunge), sure, we've had the raw, angry, hurt side of rock...But where's the roll? Where's that sleazy, dirty riffing, that danceable feel? For example that little groove inherant in songs like "Roll this Joint'' by the Stones or early Elvis or Chuck Berry--it had a ''roll'' to the rock..A hard edged groove. Modern rock has no groove, no 'raw power' or sexuality...It's just all angst and poor me. Where's the rebellion? Where's the roll?

Guest Len B'stard

I swear to God you've made this thread before dude :lol: Anyways, short answer, take the negritude out of rock n roll and you're left with rock. They need each other, The Stones are aware of this but there's only so much one band can do ;) RnB, the shit you shake your ass too still has roll, it can make your ass shake like early rock n roll but its too pantywaisted cuz there's no rock to it and conversely rock is just a drag without the ass shake.

Edited by sugaraylen

Ok first off I love these bands - but Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Sunny Day Real Estate to the "cock" out Rock and Roll.

You might think I'm joking- but that swagger your looking for, that today's rock does't have - can be found in hip hop.

Ok first off I love these bands - but Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Sunny Day Real Estate to the "cock" out Rock and Roll.

You might think I'm joking- but that swagger your looking for, that today's rock does't have - can be found in hip hop.

While the swagger may be there in Hip Hop--Hip Hop doesn't have that vital ingredient--Rock!

It's got the Roll but not the Rock, whereas modern rock has the Rock but not the Roll.

The only thing interesting these days in music imo is the avant garde stuff like Gaga.

Guest Len B'stard

Or you could check out The Happy Mondays ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9QrWkcV5I&feature=related you're twistin' mah melon maannn :lol:

avant garde stuff like Gaga

Tell us another, tell us another, oh please please please won't you tell us another? :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Personally, I don't take any interest in the mainstream rock 'n roll music of today. In my opinion, today's stuff is mostly (not all, but mostly) crap. All the good bands were from the 80s and 90s. I love all those sleazy glam bands...I wish we still had bands like them today. =/ I would do anything to go back in time and live in the 80s. B)

Guest Len B'stard
All the good bands were from the 80s and 90s. I love all those sleazy glam bands...I wish we still had bands like them today.

Basically, the mainstream crap 10/20 years ago :lol: What was good about the 80s and 90s was just about EVERYTHING outside of so called sleazy glam bands. Hardcore, THAT was good about the 80s, post punk, THAT was good about the 80s, House Music, THAT was good about the 80s, Madchester, THAT was AMAZING about the 80s, hip hop, THAT was amazing about the 80s.

One DAMN fine things Guns n Roses can be accredited with is putting an end to that fucking boring ass shit. Glam belongs to Marc Bolan ;)

Life On Earth - The Moons

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys

Shotter's Nation - Babyshambles

Consolers Of The Lonely - The Raconteurs

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

Stay Positive - The Hold Steady

Twisted Wheel - Twisted Wheel

To name a few. I loved the 00s to bits.

Edited by Snake Eyes

Hey MetalForever, good thread! I think the reason you mentioned is why most new rock suck ass. But as the poster above me said... you just have to look for it. For some reason the clean and neat sounding, "I'm hurted inside don't you see", is more approachable by the general public. Actually I think the main reason is most people's prefer for clean, digital, sound.

In a lot of modern rock (I'd say since Grunge), sure, we've had the raw, angry, hurt side of rock...But where's the roll? Where's that sleazy, dirty riffing, that danceable feel? For example that little groove inherant in songs like "Roll this Joint'' by the Stones or early Elvis or Chuck Berry--it had a ''roll'' to the rock..A hard edged groove. Modern rock has no groove, no 'raw power' or sexuality...It's just all angst and poor me. Where's the rebellion? Where's the roll?

How many versions of this topic are you going to make? I've seen this at least three or four times over the years...and each time, people say the same thing to you. I don't know why you create discussion points if your mind is already made up, but whatever floats your boat.

There are plenty of rock bands out there right now with a bluesy edge, or "roll" to them. If anything, blues and garage rock has seen a resurgence recently. Tons of bands like The Hold Steady are doing precisely what you're asking for.

How many versions of this topic are you going to make? I've seen this at least three or four times over the years...and each time, people say the same thing to you. I don't know why you create discussion points if your mind is already made up, but whatever floats your boat.

Can you not warn or ban for this? It keeps cropping up in a number of sections, and when we've had this for the last five years...

Can you not warn or ban for this? It keeps cropping up in a number of sections, and when we've had this for the last five years...

Madison did ban or warn him awhile ago for making the same topics over and over again.

I love how Miser isn't even acknowledging our complaints about his constant repeats. He just doesn't care! :lol:

Anyway, on topic:

I really think that Audioslave, especially their first album, had a lot of groove! I dunno why, but this album is just grooving along really nicely! Check out "Show me how to live" for example.