Aerosmith - the search for the lost Jaws 3D videos from 1983

lost in the garden

In 1983 three 3D videos were made - Bolivian Ragamuffin, Bitches' Brew and Sweet Emotion. The videos were premiered at famed N.Y.C. nightclub Studio 54. Despite speculation of them being placed in trailers for Jaws 3D, they were never released.

I have posted up a short clip I have acquired of the 3D "Sweet Emotion" vid with the hope of finding someone that may have these videos.

Anyone here know anything about these rare and lost Aerosmith videos?

Here is the posting with the Sweet Emotion clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbZdKJPk_E

Discuss.

Edited by lost in the garden

Never heard about this before. At the time, Joe Perry was out of the band so Aerosmith wasn't doing so good sales wise. I imagine the record company backed out of the film deal because the band was in shambles, and they might have figured Jaws 3 was gonna be a bomb at the box office, which it was.

Never heard about this before. At the time, Joe Perry was out of the band so Aerosmith wasn't doing so good sales wise. I imagine the record company backed out of the film deal because the band was in shambles, and they might have figured Jaws 3 was gonna be a bomb at the box office, which it was.

Yeah, not exactly A-smith at their peak.

I would love to track down these rare vids though.

How did you find it, and do you have the whole thing? You should put up 30 seconds of each vid... I think it would've been more interesting to see Bitches Brew and Bolivian Ragamuffin...

Joey Kramer just did a book signing tour, I don't know if he still is, but he might have been able to know something about it. It seems like it was a one day shoot and prob. a long lost memory to most of the people who worked on it.

If a studio owns it - Sony owns the Aerosmith catalog and prob. all the videos, and Jaws was distributed by Universal (obvious, considering Jaws is the attraction at Universal Studios).

Other than that, you're going to have to find someone who has everything Aerosmith ever did in the collector circles, or Reelin in the Years, which deals with licensing archive footage of musicians for documentaries and specials.

How did you find it, and do you have the whole thing? You should put up 30 seconds of each vid... I think it would've been more interesting to see Bitches Brew and Bolivian Ragamuffin...

I do not have the whole thing.

Most of the reason I posted the short Sweet Emotion clip was, me hoping it would catch the attention of someone that has it all.

The story behind the short clip's origins are that Aerosmith actually posted it on one of the earliest versions of the bands website.

It was brought to my attention by a guy who is the webmaster of Jimmy Crespo's site.

Other than that, you're going to have to find someone who has everything Aerosmith ever did in the collector circles, or Reelin in the Years, which deals with licensing archive footage of musicians for documentaries and specials.

A collector that has the footage is what I was hoping for.

What is "Reelin in the Years"?

I emailed one of the most knowledgeable fans/collectors that I know of, but he didn't know where to track down the videos either, nor does he know of anyone who has even seen them in their entirety. The only piece he's seen of them was the "Sweet Emotion" clip that you posted--nothing on "Bolivian Ragamuffin" or "Bitch's Brew."

I'll try someone else who may know something about it, but my guess is that it's going to be nearly impossible to track down the videos since there seems to be very little information about them.

I emailed one of the most knowledgeable fans/collectors that I know of, but he didn't know where to track down the videos either, nor does he know of anyone who has even seen them in their entirety. The only piece he's seen of them was the "Sweet Emotion" clip that you posted--nothing on "Bolivian Ragamuffin" or "Bitch's Brew."

I'll try someone else who may know something about it, but my guess is that it's going to be nearly impossible to track down the videos since there seems to be very little information about them.

Yeah, this may be an almost impossible search, but definitely worth a try.

Thank you for your help.

Very much appreciated.

I do not have the whole thing.

Most of the reason I posted the short Sweet Emotion clip was, me hoping it would catch the attention of someone that has it all.

The story behind the short clip's origins are that Aerosmith actually posted it on one of the earliest versions of the bands website.

It was brought to my attention by a guy who is the webmaster of Jimmy Crespo's site.

A collector that has the footage is what I was hoping for.

What is "Reelin in the Years"?

[/quote

Here's their site. They actually try to track down footage, but give musicians a free copy for their personal archives, which might be what Crespo's webguy would've wanted.

http://www.reelinintheyears.com/

If they were doing other promos, I would've thought "Jailbait" and "Lightning Strikes" (even though they play that video on VH1 Classic, where Tyler looks like a greaser) would have been chosen. And if it was for a movie, odds are it prob. would've just been "Sweet Emotion" because no one was spending big money on videos in '83, (esp on Aerosmith) except Michael Jackson.

Aerosmith does have their own forum, you might have some luck with the fans there.

I just read J Geils Band and Aerosmith are doing a show at Fenway in August. This is a first, and that will be a great show... I might have to go make the trip to see that.

• 8 months later...

I've told this story on actual Aerosmith forums and no one seemed to give a rat's ass...but something tells me you guys will embrace it.

I do not have the videos but I can shed a great deal more light on them than anyone ever has. The truth is, the videos were shot in Huntington, West Virginia (all Aero sites list the date as Huntington, Virginia - but rest assured - West Virginia became a state in 1863, and that's where my beloved Jewel City, the Gateway to the Midwest is)....

Unlike most of the Blue Army, who chose to stay away, I was willing to see Aerosmith without two of its key members. It felt weird, yes. But I was smart enough to know it was history being made either way, and I wanted to be part of it. Still, I went to the concert primarily to see Rose Tattoo, of whom I was [am] a huge fan. Pat Travers was also on the bill.

Aerosmith rented the Huntington Civic Center, as it was called then, for December 10, 11, and 12, 1982

Show day was Saturday December 11th, 28 years ago TODAY! The band was late getting onstage and put on a typically hazy perfomance for that period in their history. There is a side story to this, as I have a good friend who worked at the arena - he now is the GM of the Georgia Dome, but I'll save it fior now. A new stage set was revealed in Huntington but clips of later shows on this tour do not appear to show the band using it anymore. The centerpiece of this stage set was a giant new band logo with lights all around it, forming the band name. At one point during the show, Rick Dufay proceeded to climb up the darn thing.

The next day, a bunch of contest winners gethered at the Huntington Civic Center for more filming. I did not go. But a girl I later dated went, along with other friends and several future band mates. From what I remember, after a long wait, the band finally appeared. They completed the filming after a few hours and bought pizza and Dr. Pepper for everyone. This was all over the local news and everything.

I will be happy to send readable images of the newspaper story via email to any takers. Meanwhile, here's my ticket stub...

l_ee5dbeb3673446198b58078e3519859f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was there that day. Went to the concertthe night before. I would love to see the clips. Sweet emotion was supposed to be concert footage and we were the crowd. They told us it was going to be 3D. As I remember Tyler Jumped into the crowd and we caught him. Pretty much along day of sitting and waiting. Severals songs done that day. hope someone can find it.

I've told this story on actual Aerosmith forums and no one seemed to give a rat's ass...but something tells me you guys will embrace it.

I do not have the videos but I can shed a great deal more light on them than anyone ever has. The truth is, the videos were shot in Huntington, West Virginia (all Aero sites list the date as Huntington, Virginia - but rest assured - West Virginia became a state in 1863, and that's where my beloved Jewel City, the Gateway to the Midwest is)....

Unlike most of the Blue Army, who chose to stay away, I was willing to see Aerosmith without two of its key members. It felt weird, yes. But I was smart enough to know it was history being made either way, and I wanted to be part of it. Still, I went to the concert primarily to see Rose Tattoo, of whom I was [am] a huge fan. Pat Travers was also on the bill.

Aerosmith rented the Huntington Civic Center, as it was called then, for December 10, 11, and 12, 1982

Show day was Saturday December 11th, 28 years ago TODAY! The band was late getting onstage and put on a typically hazy perfomance for that period in their history. There is a side story to this, as I have a good friend who worked at the arena - he now is the GM of the Georgia Dome, but I'll save it fior now. A new stage set was revealed in Huntington but clips of later shows on this tour do not appear to show the band using it anymore. The centerpiece of this stage set was a giant new band logo with lights all around it, forming the band name. At one point during the show, Rick Dufay proceeded to climb up the darn thing.

The next day, a bunch of contest winners gethered at the Huntington Civic Center for more filming. I did not go. But a girl I later dated went, along with other friends and several future band mates. From what I remember, after a long wait, the band finally appeared. They completed the filming after a few hours and bought pizza and Dr. Pepper for everyone. This was all over the local news and everything.

I will be happy to send readable images of the newspaper story via email to any takers. Meanwhile, here's my ticket stub...

l_ee5dbeb3673446198b58078e3519859f.jpg

Edited by tylerfan