Need help from UK members..

Zint

I'll move or merge this later...I just figured it would reach the most people here.

A good friend of mine (here from the UK) who lived in Canada for the last 6 years or so developed some cancer problems around this time last year.

Things progressed,she was here on a work visa...things got complicated and long story short she has moved back to England (she has a house there).

Starting shortly she will be commencing chemo treatment.

Anyway...here's the thing.

I'm looking into options of visiting her this summer.I'd love to see her and also offer her some support...tough days ahead.

She lives in the Newcastle area.

I'm not sure if I can swing the trip yet,but I'm actively looking into it.

What I would ultimately like to do is perhaps tie a Guns gig into the visit...maybe venture on to a festival or something after the visit.

So,just wanted to ask some basic info.

Which of the Guns gigs would be closer to Newcastle,or is the distance between the festivals not that great a differance?

What's the diff between the festivals...is one more civialized than the other?? :tongue2:

Is one less of a piss bottle event? :xmassrudolph:

Are they sold out?

Ample publiuc transportation to festivals?

Reasonable hotels within a reasonable distance of the festival sights?

Will they already be booked up do you think?

Just looking for general info like that...any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Leeds is closer to Newcastle than Reading ( 99.1 miles / 159.5 km) to 218.4 miles / 351.5 km.

Leeds Sunday day tickets still available; http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?code=464374&userid={052AF0FC-89EC-4B42-93B5-4EE2E280CEA2}&filler1=see&filler2=art-srch

Transport - it's pretty good, I could probably pick you up from Leeds station and bring you to the site...? And you could leave your gear in my car if not at the hotel?

Details of train services between Leeds & Newcastle.... http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Local Hotels - http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/cgi-bin/search9.pl?search1=LS23+6ND&structured1=&Submit=Go+!

Hope to see you there buddy!

R.

I'll move or merge this later...I just figured it would reach the most people here.

A good friend of mine (here from the UK) who lived in Canada for the last 6 years or so developed some cancer problems around this time last year.

Things progressed,she was here on a work visa...things got complicated and long story short she has moved back to England (she has a house there).

Starting shortly she will be commencing chemo treatment.

Anyway...here's the thing.

I'm looking into options of visiting her this summer.I'd love to see her and also offer her some support...tough days ahead.

She lives in the Newcastle area.

I'm not sure if I can swing the trip yet,but I'm actively looking into it.

What I would ultimately like to do is perhaps tie a Guns gig into the visit...maybe venture on to a festival or something after the visit.

So,just wanted to ask some basic info.

Which of the Guns gigs would be closer to Newcastle,or is the distance between the festivals not that great a differance?

What's the diff between the festivals...is one more civialized than the other?? :tongue2:

Is one less of a piss bottle event? :xmassrudolph:

Are they sold out?

Ample publiuc transportation to festivals?

Reasonable hotels within a reasonable distance of the festival sights?

Will they already be booked up do you think?

Just looking for general info like that...any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

The answer to the question is currently (based on Leeds or Reading), Leeds. Newcastle to Leeds takes about an hour and a half in the car. Reading from Newcastle will be touching 5 hours in the car.

I live in a village near Newastle and know the City extremely well - PM me nearer the time and I'll give you all the info you need.

Would be nice to catch up with you also..

Although Im not a regular poster or anything I live in Newcastle City Centre so can probably help with areas and bus routes etc...

Thanks!

Yeah I wouldn't be driving,so public transport,trains etc. would be my means of getting around.

Rick's offer of a lift from the Leeds station would be awesome.

Based on info so far...looks like Leeds is the one to focus on.

Zint - I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but ............... HAVE A MASSIVE TIME AT LEEDS! :)

Thanks JB,appreciated.

I'd say it's about 50/50 right now if I can do this...working on it though.

i was looking into the possibility of leeds festival myself,and whilst pricing it up i looked into coach travel versus trains.

I noticed at the official festival website that there will be shuttle buses running every 15 minutes from leeds main coach station-for only about £4 per journey-no need to pre-book a ticket you can just pay the fare on the day.They are running right through into Monday after the festival and apparently drop you closer to the entrance of the festival than any other transport is allowed-so you wouldn't have to worry about getting to and from the actual venue.

Edited by juadlu

Maybe I should fly over too.

MYGNR Mod Squad 4 Leeds 2010. ;)

Do it....! :rolleyes:

R.

It would be insane fun if this really happened!

If/when they announce some UK dates close to Leeds you'll probably get a Newcastle date as well. Hope things work out and your friend is OK.