Guns n' Roses is not a job ( dealing with bullshit is )

The Glow Inc.

Says Ron :

TARGET AUDIENCE MAGAZINE :

With the long history of guitarists in GNR where do you draw the line between feeling like a job and being part of the band ?

BUMBLEFOOT :

There are times, like anything, when you get pissed off and think it's just a job but the rest of the time it's a big whacky family and feels like anything but a job. When you are onstage it really doesn't feel like a job unless something just sneaks in past your shields and sucker punches you, but really, when you're doing what you love to do, what you've dedicated your life to doing, it's hard to think of that as a job. And, if anything, I would say the music is what you do for free; it's the bullshit you get paid for...dealing with the crazies harrassing your family. Making music and playing with people is not a job.

And a word of advice from the man himself for those who want to make it in music ( and other fields aswell ):

You work with what you have, be creative and figure a way whatever it is. It does not take money; if you have that self-pitying, bitter attitude, and think you are a 'have not' then you are. Think, 'I have functionnal limbs, opportunities, free will, an environment where I can make choices and not be hanged for them.' Life ain't so bad; have faith and trust in yourself that your choices will work out, don't second guess yourself.

Discuss.

Thesaurus: Job: activity, appointment, assignment, berth, billet, business, calling, capacity, career, chore, post, posting, profession, pursuit, racket, rat race, situation, spot, stint, swindle*, task, trade, vocation, work

Sorry but the amount of times he said "job" was annoying. I'm a fan of berth and billet.

Sorry but the amount of times he said "job" was annoying. I'm a fan of berth and billet.

:rofl-lol: maybe it's a secret task he's doing, like a code word that he has to say a certain amount of times before he finishes so that something'll happen.

And a word of advice from the man himself for those who want to make it in music ( and other fields aswell ):

You work with what you have, be creative and figure a way whatever it is. It does not take money; if you have that self-pitying, bitter attitude, and think you are a 'have not' then you are. Think, 'I have functionnal limbs, opportunities, free will, an environment where I can make choices and not be hanged for them.' Life ain't so bad; have faith and trust in yourself that your choices will work out, don't second guess yourself.

exactly..I I love this quote and much respect for the man! Bravo.

I have to think of Axl here: His rants and raves along the way. Thank God he didnt let" the man" keephim down. He could have been a washed up 47 year old hanging out in Indiana whining and pining about all the reasons why he didnt get his shot at the spotlight.. But he took that shot and nailed life right between the eyes and followed his dreams.

The hardest thing I have to do as a doctor and as an educator to this younger generation is get people to understand that they HAVE TO do the hard stuff in life.

I think it's fair to say it's a career and not a job. A job would be what session musicians do... show up, play their part, leave, go to another gig, or be hired on to play regular gigs on a routine basis, or wedding bands.

He easily could've wound up doing any of that and prob. knows a lot of people that are talented than he is that are doing just that, but for one reason or other, couldn't cut it into being in a band. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that music teachers get underpaid, but isn't about to swap paychecks with them.

I think it's fair to say it's a career and not a job. A job would be what session musicians do... show up, play their part, leave, go to another gig, or be hired on to play regular gigs on a routine basis, or wedding bands.

He easily could've wound up doing any of that and prob. knows a lot of people that are talented than he is that are doing just that, but for one reason or other, couldn't cut it into being in a band. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that music teachers get underpaid, but isn't about to swap paychecks with them.

Great post and that's obviously true of plenty of professions. There's an element of luck involved I think -- right place, right time, that kinda thing.

He's a talented musician, but I think his personality lends well to his position as well and has made him less replaceable to some extent.