AXL ROSE Doesn't Want 'Undue Bureaucratic Interference' To Get In The Way Of LEEDS Performance - Aug. 29, 2010

justmike66

GUNS N' ROSES will play U.K.'s Leeds festival tonight (Sunday, August 29) despite singer Axl Rose's previous claim that that the band would pull out of the gig because the group's appearance at the Reading festival on Friday (August 27) was cut short. In two separate message on Twitlonger.com, a related Twitter site where one can post messages longer than 140 characters, Rose wrote, "We are in constant talks to ensure the fans attending Leeds get what they paid for without undue bureaucratic interference. We thank you for your understanding. . . In regard to Reading, we feel at the very least the fans deserve an apology from those responsible for the nonsense. We'd also like to thank the fans for being so great, singing along n' not tearing the place apart!!"

GUNS N' ROSES reportedly started its Reading festival performance at 10:30 p.m. — more than an hour later than scheduled — and was given an extra half hour to play, until roughly midnight.

In a statement to BBC News, the Reading festival organizers said, "GUNS N' ROSES wanted to 'extend' the new agreed curfew but were prevented from doing so in order to comply with the entertainment licence issued by Reading Council."

GUNS N' ROSES played the final song of its set, "Paradise City", with no guitars and the crowd shouting along despite the lack of sound with Axl Rose singing through a megaphone, according to BBC News.

Although GUNS N' ROSES guitarist D.J. Ashba subsequently aplogized for the band hitting the stage "a little late," he accused the organizers of the festival of having "a personal grudge" with GUNS N' ROSES stemming from eight years ago when the band last played the Leeds festival.

Ashba's GN'R bandmate Richard Fortus (guitar) echoed D.J.'s sentiments, writing on his Twitter profile, "I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night. Axl insists on doing things his way and not playing by the fucking rules. You can love him or hate him for it, but the fact of the matter is.... he's the real fucking deal. skin, blood and soul. Deal with it or not, but it won't ever change."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145241

In regard to Reading, we feel at the very least the fans deserve an apology from those responsible for the nonsense.

I love Axl and I know this behaviour is part of what made him stand out back in the day, but at the same time, seeing him constantly blame others is a little frustrating. I'm not saying he has to change his ways, but he could at least acknowledge that what happened was his own fault and stop using phrases like "undue bureaucratic interference" which really doesn't make much sense, or going so far as to expect the concert promoters apologize to fans. They warned him ahead of time that there was a strict time limit, he knew they had that curfew set, and yet when they do exactly what they told him they would do if he showed up late, he is outraged and plays the victim? I guess I just don't understand that logic. It's not 1989 anymore and GN'R isn't the biggest band in the world. Not only that, touring revenues are down right now. He can't expect to be treated any differently than any other band. That's just my $0.02. I hope they put on a kickass show at Leeds and all goes as planned, and I hope he learns his lesson as far as if he's adamant about going on stage late, shit might happen, and you can't throw a fit when it does. B)

if he really wants the leeds fans to get what they paid for he will be onstage ontime , if your gonna talk the talk , walk the walk , to me sounds like he saying im gonna be late so dont kill the set or you (the organizers ) are robbing the fans :rolleyes:

Edited by justmike66

I love how most of you here blame Axl for everything before you hear the facts. We don't know why the show started an hour late. It's likely that Axl was up to his old tricks, but it's not a fact.

Facts:

#1 - Axl tweeted he was backstage long before the show started.

#2 - It wasn't Axl's fault the last time at Rock N' Rev.

#3 - Fortus and Ashba defended what they did. So it's likely the delay was beyond GN'R's / Axl's control.

#4 - It's a fuckin huge set. They need a lot of time to get everything working. We've seen this over and over again.

The rest you hear on this forum is just nonsense, rumors and guessing games. Until proven otherwise.

well your points may be valid for a few gigs this has been an issue for many many years <_<

Someone should tell Axl there would be no "Undue Bureaucratic Interference" if he would start his gig on time. If you don't want the lights turned out on you, play when you are supposed to play.

That is like a drunk driver complaining about being picked up by the cops for DUI. If you don't get hammered, you don't have to worry about being picked up by the cops.

Axl is creating a straw man argument here and it is kind of weak.