How to release CD2?

Nick85

Did I mention that I seriously can't wait to hear the rest of the "Chinese Democracy" era material? Because I really cant. B)

Edit: Why do I think Axl might just go for a double album re-release idea like this? "I will say that I've always thought of it as a double album." -Axl Rose, December 2008.

Who's to say he's not currently planning on re-releasing it exactly the way he pictured it, artwork and all? Would make sense to me.

Edited by sofine11

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be so cool to have a Chinese Democracy Anthology (like the Beatles one) with all the different versions of the songs over the time + some never released songs from this era. And yes, I know it will never happen... :shrugs:

Chinese Democracy is dead.

Nah. Two topics create buzz in the forums more than anything else. Chinese Democracy 2, and reunion talk. Doesn't look like either's going out of style, especially the fact that your post just brought this thread to 3 pages already. :thumbsup:

I think it would be good if they just released the un-released material from the past decade or something to let people hear it. Just work on them a little more to to make them sound better and release them.

Than work on a new album with new material with DJ and Bumblefoot. Release it in early 2011 or 2012 and tour behind it and promote it.

The best way to do it is with Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.

Yawn.

You know, I love the original lineup. But comments like this are just so pointless in threads that have zero to do with the old lineup or a reunion. Feel better now?

It's not pointless, the OP asked what the best way to release CD2 would be and I answered. Is there anyone with an IQ above 50 that would say the original lineup coming back and releasing new material WOULDN'T be the best way? Ron, DJ Ashba and Frank Ferrer aren't exactly names to get excited for - they cover the hits well but nobody even knows who they are.

Just because I don't look at things with the perspective of 'Axl can do no wrong' (this board) means I have to support this half assed incarnation of GNR? I love Axl as a performer, and enjoy a great percentage of CD songs, but this is NOT gnr and in fact is a disgrace to the name. Axl's made a mockery of a once wonderful band but I'd still go see him perform even if he had a clown on lead (like in Boston '02). THAT means I'm a fan.

He'd absolve himself of 99% of criticism if he didn't use the GNR name.

I think it would be good if they just released the un-released material from the past decade or something to let people hear it. Just work on them a little more to to make them sound better and release them.

Than work on a new album with new material with DJ and Bumblefoot. Release it in early 2011 or 2012 and tour behind it and promote it.

You continue to use logic when talking about Axl Rose. Any other performer would probably do something along the lines of what you suggest, but he's still out in fucking left field doing whatever the fuck it is he does at 3 in the morning.

Yawn.

You know, I love the original lineup. But comments like this are just so pointless in threads that have zero to do with the old lineup or a reunion. Feel better now?

It's not pointless, the OP asked what the best way to release CD2 would be and I answered. Is there anyone with an IQ above 50 that would say the original lineup coming back and releasing new material WOULDN'T be the best way? Ron, DJ Ashba and Frank Ferrer aren't exactly names to get excited for - they cover the hits well but nobody even knows who they are.

Just because I don't look at things with the perspective of 'Axl can do no wrong' (this board) means I have to support this half assed incarnation of GNR? I love Axl as a performer, and enjoy a great percentage of CD songs, but this is NOT gnr and in fact is a disgrace to the name. Axl's made a mockery of a once wonderful band but I'd still go see him perform even if he had a clown on lead (like in Boston '02). THAT means I'm a fan.

You continue to use logic when talking about Axl Rose. Any other performer would probably do something along the lines of what you suggest, but he's still out in fucking left field doing whatever the fuck it is he does at 3 in the morning.

What makes you think the old lineup coming back WOULD be the best way?

Financially, yes, it probably would be, but do you care how rich the people involved are, or about the music?

I don't see the old members being able to work out their differences and put out anything better than Chinese Democracy. I really don't. I see it being a cash grab, and a cluster fuck that would soon end in yet another split.

DJ helped write SOLA for Motley, and Sixx:AM so he's got some obvious writing talent. Anyone want to question Ron's ability? And everyone seems to forget about Richard.

I'd rather have those guys, working together, than a dysfunctional family.

Let Brain put out the remix album soon, that may give CD some more life commercially, then move on. The current setup with DJ and Frank should record new stuff to put out on the next album. Some of the CD outtakes have been probably been sitting in the can for several years now.

Yawn.

Financially, yes, it probably would be, but do you care how rich the people involved are, or about the music?

I don't see the old members being able to work out their differences and put out anything better than Chinese Democracy. I really don't. I see it being a cash grab, and a cluster fuck that would soon end in yet another split.

DJ helped write SOLA for Motley, and Sixx:AM so he's got some obvious writing talent. Anyone want to question Ron's ability? And everyone seems to forget about Richard.

BUT THESE GUYS AREN'T WORKING TOGETHER. Doing live shows is one thing, and not difficult. Original material with credits to all is something...and that hasn't happened.

Even if it's a clusterfuck, wouldn't it be worth it to see the original lineup with newly recorded material, even if it's one tour and one album? It's not like the new version has been touring and banging out records for 10 years, so why are they any better? Shows here and there, no new material, nobody with any say except Axl, average show attendance. And there's no question that between Axl, Izzy and Slash they could put out an incredible album. Izzy in particular is a masterful song writer.

One album in 15 years and even that was like pulling teeth. Why does he pull shit like this?

Edited by GeorgeGlass

BUT THESE GUYS AREN'T WORKING TOGETHER. Doing live shows is one thing, and not difficult. Original material with credits to all is something...and that hasn't happened.

There isn't a song on CD that is credited to all, but most of the songs are credited to like +/- 5 people, is that enough? And who even cares? :shrugs: Personally I don't give a fuck about who wrote a song if it's good.

Even if it's a clusterfuck, wouldn't it be worth it to see the original lineup with newly recorded material, even if it's one tour and one album? It's not like the new version has been touring and banging out records for 10 years, so why are they any better?

Well, the new band has done some major tours, a few less than many other bands, but they've done more than one tour anyway.

They haven't been releasing too many records, but the one they did is brilliant (opinion) and is a much better alternative than 4 crappy/average albums in 10 yrs (see: Metallica etc.). Also, who knows how many unreleased shows they've completed.

Shows here and there, no new material, nobody with any say except Axl, average show attendance. And there's no question that between Axl, Izzy and Slash they could put out an incredible album. Izzy in particular is a masterful song writer.

Shows here and there? They've been around most of the world?

No new material? You can't force a musician.

Nobosy with any say expect Axl? Again, who cares? There are other similar bands around too - NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, and they're awesome. I think the idea of one "musical director", if you will, controlling the direction & sound of the ensemble is interesting, and very rock n' roll.

Maybe they could create an album. Who knows. It's just that Axl hates Slash and isn't really interested in creating the same kind of music anymore for all we know. I don't see how a reunion would be a very good thing because of these conditions. I agree with the Izzy statement.

One album in 15 years and even that was like pulling teeth. Why does he pull shit like this?

I don't know. Ask him if you're offended by it. It's not like he's in any debt for you.

Yawn.

I'm not using logic, it's just my opinion on what would be the best scenrio for us, the fans, and the band. Of course, we could not see another album until 2015, but I doubt it. This band is so great not to put them in the studio.

Yawn.

Even if it's a clusterfuck, wouldn't it be worth it to see the original lineup with newly recorded material, even if it's one tour and one album? It's not like the new version has been touring and banging out records for 10 years, so why are they any better? Shows here and there, no new material, nobody with any say except Axl, average show attendance. And there's no question that between Axl, Izzy and Slash they could put out an incredible album. Izzy in particular is a masterful song writer.

Pull shit like what? You make it sounds like it's been 15 years since CD came out!

They're in the middle of a massive tour. Most bands don't release albums then, and this isn't even most bands. CD came out in Fall 2008. Now yes - it took them a year to get the tour going but I think we can say that wasn't really planned.

Now, we've got a massive, and despite all the naysaying, very successful tour going on. Give it time! It's not even a full two years since the last CD!

Let me give you an example though, Tool. They do about 5 years between albums. Every. single. time!

And it's not that the new version is any better, it's that we don't know. We still have material in the vault that we want to hear. I'm dying to hear Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul from the name alone!

Assuming they still tweak that material... look unless it's already pre-recorded CD era material, nothing's coming out til after the tour. Maybe, maybe the stuff that's already there could be mixed and mastered on a break in touring and come out then. Otherwise, don't expect it done until sometime in 2011 when this tour finally finishes. At the earliest.

Fully agree with the logic, just release whatever else is left in the vault, and lets get out of this shameful era in GNR's history. Start some clean sheet music to see if this band can make their own music as good as they play the old bands. They certainly all have the ability as individuals.

But I am afraid I have to laugh at the suggestion that Axl should follow the lead of the Rolling Stones. The Stones could release an album full of Pantera covers, and it would still outsell Chinese ten fold.

It could be marketed as "Chinese Democracy - The Ultimate Edition" or "Chinese Democracy - The Complete Set". This is, in my opinion, the best way to put out whatever else is finished, or has been remixed, from the Chinese Democray era.

This could only make sense if they marketed it as a collector's item and charged $100+ for it, since the only people who would buy it are the fans who will buy anything with Axl's name on it. Basically it would have to be marketed to the people who already bought it once already. The general public have already demonstrated that they're not even going to pay $10 for it, so charging $100+ and just targetting the most ardent internet fans would make the most economic sense.

A band writes material together, a solo artist writes everything and has the band cover it. This is how I feel the last 10 years of GNR have been.

Well read the writing credits, if that really bothers you.

You're a fool if you think that Chinese Democracy was anyone else's vision besides Axl's. Since he can't physically play all the instruments, of course there are credits in there.

A band writes material together, a solo artist writes everything and has the band cover it. This is how I feel the last 10 years of GNR have been.

You're a fool if you think that Chinese Democracy was anyone else's vision besides Axl's. Since he can't physically play all the instruments, of course there are credits in there.

What do you mean by 'vision'? Do you think Axl wrote the whole thing by himself except the solos? Bucket, Robin, Paul, Tommy, Pitman all came up with songs ideas and even Dizzy helped. I don't know what you mean man.

You know how Axl should really advertise this?!

By NOT calling it Chinese Democracy in any way shape or form.

People think it is crap, so if they hear there is a second, why would they want to buy it if they first one sucked.

I am a fan of GN'R and I like CD, but if Axl is smart, he needs to get back in the advertising world, and release one or two singles, and push it as far as he can go, until the new album is ready to be released.

Huh? I haven't denied that at all. Of course it was him who came up with the new sound of the band.