How to release CD2?

Nick85

I know, I know. It's another CD2 thread. Well what the hell else are we going to talk about?

ANYWAY...I've been thinking about what would be the best and most economical way for Axl to put out the next "Chinese Democracy" album. Ron and the others seem to be not too keen on releasing another album that they're simply featured on, rather than one they wrote and comes from their hearts. As much as I can't wait to hear CD2, I honestly get where they're coming from.

However, I think it would literally be a sin to keep these songs locked up just for the sake of putting out a "fresher" album. So how do they do it, while keeping the door open to another upcoming album? Simple. Re-release Chinese Democracy as a double album, complete with a remix or two, and whatever other tracks were slated for the next CD era album. Not to mention, this would be a perfect opportunity for the band to incorporate the artwork and corrected lyrics that were intended for the initial release.

It could be marketed as "Chinese Democracy - The Ultimate Edition" or "Chinese Democracy - The Complete Set". This is, in my opinion, the best way to put out whatever else is finished, or has been remixed, from the Chinese Democray era.

If marketed correctly, with a killer new single or two, this could be a new beginning for Chinese Democracy, and would recharge and save the legacy it most definitely deserves.

Axl, if you're still browsing the forums, ya gotta admit...This would be pretty freaking cool! :thumbsup:

Edited by sofine11

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know. It's another CD2 thread. Well what the hell else are we going to talk about?

ANYWAY...I've been thinking about what would be the best and most economical way for Axl to put out the next "Chinese Democracy" album. Ron and the others seem to be not too keen on releasing another album that they're simply featured on, rather that one they wrote and come from their hearts. As much as I can't wait to hear CD2, I honestly get where they're coming from.

However, I think it would literally be a sin to keep these songs locked up just for the sake of putting out a "fresher" album. So how do they do it, while keeping the door open to another upcoming album? Simple. Re-release Chinese Democracy as a double album, complete with a remix or two, and whatever other tracks were slated for the next CD era album. Not to mention, this would be a perfect opportunity for the band to incorporate the artwork and corrected lyrics that were intended for the initial release.

It could be marketed as "Chinese Democracy - The Ultimate Edition" or "Chinese Democracy - The Complete Set". This is, in my opinion, the best way to put out whatever else is finished, or has been remixed, from the Chinese Democray era.

If marketed correctly, with a killer new single or two, this could be a new beginning for Chinese Democracy, and would recharge and save the legacy it most definitely deserves.

Axl, if you're still browsing the forums, ya gotta admit...This would be pretty freaking cool! :thumbsup:

Not really down with that. I'd rather they either make the next CD a double, or do them separate. Or, release "new" recordings first then go back and release the rest of the songs from the CD era.

But I don't really like the idea of a re-issue. A lot of people won't give it a chance based on the name, they'll just figure "oh it's just a cash grab with a few more songs" etc.

I see where you're coming from, but it would flop. Only a few diehard fans would buy it.

How is the average fan supposed to know there's a whole new album on it? It would quickly be dismissed as Chinese Democracy was, even if they "find out" there's a new album there. Let alone, it would get bashed in the critic reviews for "hiding" material under the same album name.

In other words, I don't think it's too good an idea.

I see where you're coming from, but it would flop. Only a few diehard fans would buy it.

How is the average fan supposed to know there's a whole new album on it? It would quickly be dismissed as Chinese Democracy was, even if they "find out" there's a new album there. Let alone, it would get bashed in the critic reviews for "hiding" material under the same album name.

The recent re-release of The Rolling Stones' "Exile On Main Street" featured a second disc, complete with several unheard tracks from the 'Exile' sessions. It was huge, and sold extremely well.

While I know it's a little soon to compare CD to Exile, it could be done and marketed very similarly, showing similar results.

With propper marketing, singles, and videos make no mistake, this could be huge...

The recent re-release of The Rolling Stones' "Exile On Main Street" featured a second disc, complete with several unheard tracks from the 'Exile' sessions. It was huge, and sold extremely well.

While I know it's a little soon to compare CD to Exile, it could be done and marketed very similarly, showing similar results.

With propper marketing, singles, and videos make no mistake, this could be huge...

'Exile On Main Street' wasn't a commercial flop that was only released less than 2 years ago.

It could be marketed as "Chinese Democracy - The Ultimate Edition" or "Chinese Democracy - The Complete Set".

It would probably attract a lot of derision and look like a cash grab. I don't know if "Chinese Democracy, the edition with more songs" would exactly fly off the shelves either.

But it wouldn't be a cash grab. It's a real way of getting this music into the hands of the fans. If that's what Axl wants to do, why should he give a shit how it looks if it makes good business sense and makes his fans happy?

'Exile On Main Street' wasn't a commercial flop that was only released less than 2 years ago.

Actually, Exile *was* a commercial flop when it was first released, compared to earlier Stones efforts. It was only years later that it started gaining mystique due to it's dirty/raw sound that defines that album.

The best way to do it is with Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.

Yawn.

You know, I love the original lineup. But comments like this are just so pointless in threads that have zero to do with the old lineup or a reunion. Feel better now?

The opportunity for a re-release has come & gone. They should have done it back in march when the best buy deal expired, they could have thrown some bonus tracks on it & maybe a DVD with a couple of live performances of the current band. But hey, when has Axl ever done anything the makes sense?

Any new release is most likely going to have to come from the material Axl has already recorded and is supposedly well along the way at least.

The label will never give him a new advance to start a new project when he has so much material recorded that they already paid for. Besides, I am not sure how capable Axl is at this point of starting a new project completely from scratch that will offer him a very limited budget most likely compared to what he has always been accustomed to.

Even in the best scenario, new releases don't net him alot of money. He makes his bank on the road touring. I don't see him killing himself to deal with the hassle of trying to come up with a new album when there is very little money to be made.

For whatever reason, recording seems to end up being a much bigger ordeal for him than most other artists. I just don't see him jumping at the chance to record a new album on a small budget when it will most likely end up being a headache for him as something will inevitably go wrong and become an albatross for him.

The label will never give him a new advance to start a new project when he has so much material recorded that they already paid for. Besides, I am not sure how capable Axl is at this point of starting a new project completely from scratch that will offer him a very limited budget most likely compared to what he has always been accustomed to.

Ding ding ding. This is the reason why a new album with the new guys isn't completely logical. After spending millions upon millions on Axl during the Chinese Democracy era, I doubt the label will give him any backing on anything new. It'd most likely have to wait until after the stuff he already has is released.

Ding ding ding. This is the reason why a new album with the new guys isn't completely logical. After spending millions upon millions on Axl during the Chinese Democracy era, I doubt the label will give him any backing on anything new. It'd most likely have to wait until after the stuff he already has is released.

While I somewhat agree with Naupis (a rarity) - didn't Axl build a studio? So basically, how much financial backing would be needed? Realistically, album costs for anything new should at least be a fair bit cheaper anyway... producer, mixing/mastering, etc. but plenty of much smaller bands can manage that.

Edited by kyrie