Possible Reason 4 no U.S. Dates

Rhino

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years. Just a thought but I had to look up who performed on the VMAs when Guns were at their height of success popularity wise. Check it out its a sad commentary on music today, especially in the USA.

deadmau5, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Ke$ha, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry, Usher, Trey Songz, Linkin Park, B.o.B, Paramore and Florence + the Machine.

Justin Bieber, haha. Where is rock & roll?

Yeah, very sad.

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years. Just a thought but I had to look up who performed on the VMAs when Guns were at their height of success popularity wise. Check it out its a sad commentary on music today, especially in the USA.

deadmau5, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Ke$ha, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry, Usher, Trey Songz, Linkin Park, B.o.B, Paramore and Florence + the Machine.

The Black Crowes "Remedy"

Bobby Brown "Humpin' Around"

U2 "Even Better Than the Real Thing"

Def Leppard "Let's Get Rocked"

Nirvana "Lithium"

Elton John "The One"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give It Away"

Michael Jackson "Black or White"

Bryan Adams "Do I Have to Say the Words"

En Vogue "Free Your Mind"

Eric Clapton "Tears In Heaven"

Guns N' Roses & Elton John "November Rain"

Its just sad.

HOLY shit i didn't realise just how crap the music in the US has become....i didn't think it was that bad.

At least Chinese Democracy went #1 in Canada! We Stand on guard for thee mother fuckers!

Top Ten songs in Canada

1.Teenage Dream

Katy Perry

2.Dynamite

Taio Cruz

3.Love The Way You Lie

Eminem & Rihanna

4.I Like It

Enrique Iglesias

5.Club Can't Handle Me

Flo Rida & David Guetta

6.DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love

Usher

7.Just The Way You Are

Bruno Mars

8.Take It Off

Ke$ha

9.Like A G6

Far East Movement

10.If I Had You

Adam Lambert

Hey smart ass....what else at the moment should be on the charts? there is NOTHING good!

There are plenty of good bands out there that could and should be popular, and Much Music in Canada is just as bad as MTV USA.

Edited by Rhino

Mtv hasn't been MTV since like the early 90's mid 90's since they turned into a brainwashing thing for young kids and teenagers....

I was just thinking back at the time mtv was alla bout music and of course.. Beavis and Butt-head!

those were the days.

I agree that MTV has changed alot; But I don't agree with the idea, that since MTV isn't playing videos, that somehow means everything popular is crap and rock is dead.

I have cable, and I'm going to assume that alot of other people do. I get Fuse, VH1 Classics, and at least 3 other channels that play nothing but videos....and suprise suprise they don't just play all rap/hip.

MTV isn't really needed as avenue, to showcase videos anymore - there or other channels; Not to mention you have youtube, the radio (duh! It isn't all crap, like some people say), word of mouth (one the biggest avenue's, I use when I want to discover new music),internet, and music tabloids.

I actually like how it is today - then say 15 years, ago. Young people today, just don't realize how good they have when it comes to finding out about music, then kids in 90's.

In 90's, what ever band MTV or VH1 was championing, was what you were going to hear and what was going to be popular. Now you have so many avenues to hear about new bands, new songs etc.

Mtv hasn't been MTV since like the early 90's mid 90's since they turned into a brainwashing thing for young kids and teenagers....

I was just thinking back at the time mtv was alla bout music and of course.. Beavis and Butt-head!

those were the days.

I agree that MTV has changed alot; But I don't agree with the idea, that since MTV isn't playing videos, that somehow means everything popular is crap and rock is dead.

I have cable, and I'm going to assume that alot of other people do. I get Fuse, VH1 Classics, and at least 3 other channels that play nothing but videos....and suprise suprise they don't just play all rap/hip.

MTV isn't really needed as avenue, to showcase videos anymore - there or other channels; Not to mention you have youtube, the radio (duh! It isn't all crap, like some people say), word of mouth (one the biggest avenue's, I use when I want to discover new music),internet, and music tabloids.

I actually like how it is today - then say 15 years, ago. Young people today, just don't realize how good they have when it comes to finding out about music, then kids in 90's.

In 90's, what ever band MTV or VH1 was championing, was what you were going to hear and what was going to be popular. Now you have so many avenues to hear about new bands, new songs etc.

The subscriber base of the channels you mentioned is far lower than MTV's, however, and doesn't hit the right demographics. VH1 classics is playing to an older audience, for example - and it's probably the largest one of the bunch. Yes, a lot of that audience will be the right age for GN'R, but the concert industry as a whole took a nose-dive this summer for a lot of reasons - the economy, and ticket prices, being two major issues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/arts/music/31concerts.html

"For the concert business it has been a summer of hard sells and empty seats. Despite sellouts for Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and some other hot acts, overall sales have been suffering, with prominent tours like the Eagles and “American Idols Live!” canceling dates.

Live Nation Entertainment, the leading promoter, has been trying to fill seats with fire-sale prices, and in a recent presentation to analysts its executives promised that grosses in 2011 — when stars like U2 and Christina Aguilera are scheduled to make up shows they postponed this year — would improve. "

It's a bad sign when The Eagles have to cancel shows.

"Pollstar, an industry trade magazine that reports ticket grosses from promoters, said sales for the Top 100 tours were down by about 17 percent so far this year from the same period last year. "

There has been major debate throughout most of 2010 about why the concert industry is in decline in the U.S. - add on merch and food/drink costs (the article mentions this), service charges, Live Nation having signed a lot of artists to long-term deals then sending them around to the same venues over and over again...

GN'R's decision not to tour the US at this point looks like a pretty solid one. With luck next summer things might be a little brighter.

Also, this GN'R/Korn tour - I wonder how that would do in the U.S.?

That's definitely something I would go to a few shows for...