Possible Reason 4 no U.S. Dates

Rhino

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years. Just a thought but I had to look up who performed on the VMAs when Guns were at their height of success popularity wise. Check it out its a sad commentary on music today, especially in the USA.

deadmau5, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Ke$ha, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry, Usher, Trey Songz, Linkin Park, B.o.B, Paramore and Florence + the Machine.

The Black Crowes "Remedy"

Bobby Brown "Humpin' Around"

U2 "Even Better Than the Real Thing"

Def Leppard "Let's Get Rocked"

Nirvana "Lithium"

Elton John "The One"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give It Away"

Michael Jackson "Black or White"

Bryan Adams "Do I Have to Say the Words"

En Vogue "Free Your Mind"

Eric Clapton "Tears In Heaven"

Guns N' Roses & Elton John "November Rain"

Its just sad.

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years. Just a thought but I had to look up who performed on the VMAs when Guns were at their height of success popularity wise. Check it out its a sad commentary on music today, especially in the USA.

deadmau5, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Ke$ha, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry, Usher, Trey Songz, Linkin Park, B.o.B, Paramore and Florence + the Machine.

Nirvana "Lithium"

Elton John "The One"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Its just sad.

The VMA's is on tonight?! Oh brother. It just shows how "INTERESTED" or rather UNINTERESTED I am with MTV or UNINTERESTING MTV and music has become. Music now is the pits. I would always make sure I watched the VMA's in recent years, even though I knew it or they would suck, just because it still had sentimental value to me. This will be the first MTV VMA's I missed in 19 or 20 years. Since 1990 or 1989. It's gotten that bad, and I just don't care or want to put the effort into watching and seeing manufactured POP artists like Justin Bieber, or the Jonas Brothers try to "entertain" me. I can't wait till Beavis And Butthead come back on the air soon, which they are, to make fun of the videos that are on now. I miss the real MTV.

I totally agree!!!

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years.

I'm sure if Axl would have chosen to do publicity and release videos for Chinese Democracy, they probably would have won artist and video of the year.

Just flipping by the VMA's and had to wonder, What the hell happened to the state of popular music in the U.S.A.?. This could certainly be a reason why Guns have only played 1 show in the US in 4 years.

I'm sure if Axl would have chosen to do publicity and release videos for Chinese Democracy, they probably would have won artist and video of the year.

el oh fucking el

Edited by mrandyk

Well, Axl could promote himself and the band easily, but he hasn't done it, so why would he now? Could he get on the VMA's at this point? Hard to say. Probably. The 2002 VMA appearance but thrilling, but a terrible performance and didn't show Axl at his best. I think a thrilling top notch GNR performance would be welcomed at the VMA's always. There's no one on that list of performers that can stimulate people like Axl Rose etc.

If Axl set up a tour in the states and actually promoted for it, I could speculate that it would do very well. There has never been a US tour that has been promoted properly, yet they still sold tickets.

Why doesn't he promote himself? I guess you can look to the song Prostitute for your answers. I respect him for his integrity, but at the same time, as a fan, I want to him him and new GNR be as successful as possible. I think he could have made the new band hugely successful/mainstream if he promoted everything.

MTV in the late 80s-early 90s had more music, but the stuff in heavy rotation was more bad than good.

The state of popular music is a mix of prepackaged stuff created by record companies along with "buzzworthy" artists that gained recognition on word of mouth and over time, a track record of outdoing themselves. Either they rise above the novelty or become a "whatever happened to". Most of your pop music of today is written and produced by people from rock bands of the 90s that might have had one hit and vanished, if that. They might have been good singers and songwriters, but the band never took off, so they wound up on a Disney payroll making songs to order or as background singers, along with the usual Berklee and MI grads.

No one knows who's going to survive the long haul as far as a career in music goes.

No reason for US dates? GNR did almost a decade worth of US dates prior to the CD release. The CD sales didn't fare well in the states, so they're out and about in other places putting the music out to audiences that haven't seen a GNR concert in a really long time.

But it's true regarding the economy and its effect on live shows in the US. Can't go to a concert if you're barely able to pay the bills. Which means local acts have an advantage because people are trying to find cheap entertainment as a substitute.

All arguments about "music today" are ridiculous. It's ALWAYS been the same. If you go by what's on Billboard over the past 50 years, there's a lot of shit that made the top 10, if not #1. Most of your favorite rock bands have NEVER had a #1 hit. It's more like a freak accident when a really good song is #1. Even a big seller like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has weak songs on it. Some of these songs are "in the moment", in a year's time drop off to never be heard from again. And some of them stick around for a really long time. What were the biggest songs of the 90s? "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or Boys 2 Men "End of the Road"? "November Rain" or "California Love"?

And who ruled the airwaves for the past decade? Eminem, and a "Now" collection more or less is a sign of what music has become, people follow songs, not artists, with a few exceptions. People in general listen to a little bit of everything, old and new, genre crossing is the norm. It's not weird to have hard rock in a rap song. It's not that weird to have a metal band with a turntable and DJ in it. It's not even weird for a country singer to be in a rap video, or a rap artist to be in a rock video. Point is music's been cross pollinated over the past 20 years. You do need the people who stand by that one type of music and claim its purity, but in general, people have songs they like, and don't really follow a small handful of bands anymore. They hear a song they like... so when you ask someone what kind of music they like, and they say "all kinds, except one or two..." it's because of technology, what people were brought up listening to, and if anything, are exposed to more of a wide variety of music than their parents were.

I don't know if this means music will evolve, or they're going to continue down the path of cross pollination of styles.

Most of the bands that have made the cover of Rolling Stone- how many of them have a really significant following, or where you can name the bandmembers? A band like Weezer or Foo Fighters have fared well in the past decade. Radiohead kind of dipped in popularity after Amnesiac and Kid A, and Coldplay pretty much gained the older fans Radiohead lost.

Nirvana "Lithium"

Elton John "The One"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Its just sad.

I had the exact same thought last night as they called Justin Bieber on stage and I had to change the channel so my dinner wouldn't hurry back up.

It's very fucking sad.

Just because the public is into rap/hip hop at the moment, doesn't mean that rock is in sad state.

In the 90's when rock dominated the radio airwaves, was also when some the greatest hip hop records of alltime where produced.

I mean, Def Leppard and Bobbie Brown aren't exactly talented.

You're delusional.

Drake, Ke$ha, Eminem, Kanye West, Usher, Trey Songz, Linkin Park,Paramore.

Those artist might not be your cup of tea, but there is no denying their talent.

I

Just because the public is into rap/hip hop at the moment, doesn't mean that rock is in sad state.

In the 90's when rock dominated the radio airwaves, was also when some the greatest hip hop records of alltime where produced.

I mean, Def Leppard and Bobbie Brown aren't exactly talented.

You're delusional.

Those artist might not be your cup of tea, but there is no denying their talent.

I

Ke$ha and talent can't stay in the same line, NEVER.

I'm talking about the state of rock n roll. There is no denying that in 1992 true pure rock ruled the times,and it takes more musical talent to play in a rock band then it does to lip sync and talk rhymes. I'm just saying I preferred when people/fans actually had to listen and think. Now its all about Dancing and that audio tone foolishness, Dancing is good and fine but I want to see musical talent.

It seems that back then 18-40 year olds determined what was in popular demand. Now sadly, its 8-14year olds.

I'm talking about the state of rock n roll. There is no denying that in 1992 true pure rock ruled the times,and it takes more musical talent to play in a rock band then it does to lip sync and talk rhymes. I'm just saying I preferred when people/fans actually had to listen and think. Now its all about Dancing and that audio tone foolishness, Dancing is good and fine but I want to see musical talent.

I agree, but it doesn't really take much musical talent to play in one of the bands that ruled the early 90s either. More like practice. Writing is another thing though

Also new true pure rock is still very much available, it just isn't mainstream anymore and that's fine

I can't believe we didn't have the:

VIII "Will Guns N' Roses Be On VMA This Year?" 2010 Edition - 8th Anniversary

BTW, Dj said confirmed that they would do a single UK tour, then it was announced. He confirmed Australia dates, then it was announced.

And he mentioned a US tour, didn't he? Well, I'm not sure, but Frank Ferrer did mentioned.

Eminem and Linkin Park are cool, I like them, specially Eminem.

Edited by ManetsBR

How can you have a video music awards show when they don't play videos anymore? The VMA's are really no longer relevant...

This. Is it stupid of me to ask why Music Television does not play a single music video, or come to think of that music related program. I have not in the past 5 years seen a music video on MTV

Nirvana "Lithium"

Elton John "The One"

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Its just sad.

HOLY shit i didn't realise just how crap the music in the US has become....i didn't think it was that bad.

At least Chinese Democracy went #1 in Canada! We Stand on guard for thee mother fuckers!

Top Ten songs in Canada

1.Teenage Dream

Katy Perry

2.Dynamite

Taio Cruz

3.Love The Way You Lie

Eminem & Rihanna

4.I Like It

Enrique Iglesias

5.Club Can't Handle Me

Flo Rida & David Guetta

6.DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love