Question for those attending recent gigs..

gavgnr

Usually the venue posts no video recording equipment, but just about everyone has video on their phone, so regulating it's impossible. However, if you're noticed recording the entire show, they ask you to stop recording if you're the one person with their hand up recording the entire show. I'm sure asking Axl directly about it would get you a "no" because he'd rather have people there to watch and enjoy it. And face it, the band members know what YouTube is, and want to see the fan footage too, considering some of it winds up on TMZ and Perez as a news item anyway! General consensus by most performers is that a few minutes of video or a photo without flash going off as a "souvenir" that you were there is fine. If you can get away with bootlegging and sharing it for free, it's overlooked and better than sharing demos or finished music that's about to hit the street. That's why Lars rallied against Napster, and why Axl took that guy to court over leaking CD. If you can buy it, you shouldn't be distributing it.

I don't agree with the "downloading is stealing" crap, but if you have something that affects someone's livelihood, might want to keep it to yourself and not share it with people online. It's a personal ethics issue. A record store I used to get some advanced promos sent my way from the mom and pop store I used to go to (gave them enough money to get a freebie here and there, but some of the music undeniably sucked, too), which I know would've pissed a lot of bands off, but all I did was play it in the car and let friends listen to it. Told them I'd make them a tape copy, but they'd be better off getting the CD. Usually when you're sharing something with mutual fans, you're still going to the store and buy it, even if it's a gift for someone. If someone leaked me Chinese Democracy before it hit the street, I would've cut it up into samples and put that out there. A full length concert audience tape is going to be of interest to fans. It's a "for fans by fans" situation.

Store bought bootlegs are a huge ripoff, and some of them have gone straight to file share sites to get it and sell it. Scumbag move IMHO, and in those cases I've written certain people when I've seen them, because I knew there were a few things out there that had been taken from specific fan trades I was a part of. When it was done as a group, calling someone's manager or a known personal assistant, you'd go into the store the next week and find the bootlegs of that artist gone. Not any full raid where the store was shut down, but kind of happy about it. If someone's a fan, they can get that stuff for free once they ask around.

Usually the venue posts no video recording equipment, but just about everyone has video on their phone, so regulating it's impossible. However, if you're noticed recording the entire show, they ask you to stop recording if you're the one person with their hand up recording the entire show. I'm sure asking Axl directly about it would get you a "no" because he'd rather have people there to watch and enjoy it. And face it, the band members know what YouTube is, and want to see the fan footage too, considering some of it winds up on TMZ and Perez as a news item anyway! General consensus by most performers is that a few minutes of video or a photo without flash going off as a "souvenir" that you were there is fine. If you can get away with bootlegging and sharing it for free, it's overlooked and better than sharing demos or finished music that's about to hit the street. That's why Lars rallied against Napster, and why Axl took that guy to court over leaking CD. If you can buy it, you shouldn't be distributing it.

I don't agree with the "downloading is stealing" crap, but if you have something that affects someone's livelihood, might want to keep it to yourself and not share it with people online. It's a personal ethics issue. A record store I used to get some advanced promos sent my way from the mom and pop store I used to go to (gave them enough money to get a freebie here and there, but some of the music undeniably sucked, too), which I know would've pissed a lot of bands off, but all I did was play it in the car and let friends listen to it. Told them I'd make them a tape copy, but they'd be better off getting the CD. Usually when you're sharing something with mutual fans, you're still going to the store and buy it, even if it's a gift for someone. If someone leaked me Chinese Democracy before it hit the street, I would've cut it up into samples and put that out there. A full length concert audience tape is going to be of interest to fans. It's a "for fans by fans" situation.

Store bought bootlegs are a huge ripoff, and some of them have gone straight to file share sites to get it and sell it. Scumbag move IMHO, and in those cases I've written certain people when I've seen them, because I knew there were a few things out there that had been taken from specific fan trades I was a part of. When it was done as a group, calling someone's manager or a known personal assistant, you'd go into the store the next week and find the bootlegs of that artist gone. Not any full raid where the store was shut down, but kind of happy about it. If someone's a fan, they can get that stuff for free once they ask around.

That statement I pointecd out is BS if you are downloading any media that is due to be released, not suppost to be hear or is alreasdy out for sale it is stealing plain and simple! Now if the artist or who ever has the authority to do so posted it for free download then that is not. If you download a music or a movie you are effecting the artists livelihood beacause you didn't pay for what you received and they are not making there royalties!!!! I have downloaded some stuff, sure who hasn't but that doesn't mean is was not stealing. I just don't understand some peoples way of thinking???????

I guess they see at as victomless if doesn't harm anyone and they do it just because they can.

Let's see a CD will cost you lets's say $10 but you download it for free so you stole $10 but thats ok but if you go to the corner store and demand they give you $10 or else thats different?????? I mean in both cases it just $10 but it is stealing anyway you look at it.

Here is a better example you download a $10 album and burn it just because yo can and it only $10 bucks, then you are at a friends house and there is $10 laying on the counter do you take that?????? No different!!!!

Edited by bigcountry

That statement I pointecd out is BS if you are downloading any media that is due to be released, not suppost to be hear or is alreasdy out for sale it is stealing plain and simple! Now if the artist or who ever has the authority to do so posted it for free download then that is not. If you download a music or a movie you are effecting the artists livelihood beacause you didn't pay for what you received and they are not making there royalties!!!! I have downloaded some stuff, sure who hasn't but that doesn't mean is was not stealing. I just don't understand some peoples way of thinking???????

I guess they see at as victomless if doesn't harm anyone and they do it just because they can.

Let's see a CD will cost you lets's say $10 but you download it for free so you stole $10 but thats ok but if you go to the corner store and demand they give you $10 or else thats different?????? I mean in both cases it just $10 but it is stealing anyway you look at it.

Here is a better example you download a $10 album and burn it just because yo can and it only $10 bucks, then you are at a friends house and there is $10 laying on the counter do you take that?????? No different!!!!

It isn't stealing.

At some point someone has paid.

I can go to my library right now and borrow CD, Slash's Book, GNR dvd's etc.; The library paid.

If someone bootlegs, they paid.

No difference. At some point, someone paid.

No you are wrong if you are using a product and YOU didn't pay for it and have not abtained permission to copy or whatever then it is stealing!!!

So by your twisted explaination then my employer pays me my pay check you steal it then thats ok because someone paid and that someone was my employer and me.

Also like the record companies they pay the artisit to make music so I guess by you logic it has already been paid for so it is OK for me to copy it!!

Complete and total BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

Like I said people see stealing music as a victomless crime but in all reality it is not and it is still stealing no matter how you look at it!!! Not saying I have never done it or am any better than anyone else but it is a pretty black and white issue. You pay for it, it is for your use you can let borrow who ever you want but the second it is copied it is stealing!

I will say one thing I beleive should be allowed (if it already isn't) If you purchase a movie or music you and you alone should be allowed to make a back up so if it is damaged you wouldn't have to buy another copy at the store but this would be hard to police, I quess the only way to do that would be to have the owner keep receipt and orginal product packaging.