Big Country to Reform

Graeme

I know there're a few fans kicking around this board, IIRC there's even a guy with the band name as his user name. Long story short, Big Country, one of the biggest and most influential Scottish rock bands ever have been pretty much inactive since the suicide of lead singer/guitarist Stuart Adamson in 2001. Aside from a brief stint where their bassist tried to take over lead vocals, unfortunately hampered by the fact that he cannot sing.

Now they're ready to give it a shot by hiring in Adamson's close friend Mike Peters (of The Alarm) on lead vocals/guitar... the two met onstage with U2 in the 1980s and had been friends since, so I think this'll be a really fitting tribute and I can't wait to hear those songs get a live airing to an audience of rabid BC fans on Hogmanay (New Year's Eve to you foreigners :P) in Glasgow. It's gonna be INSANE!!!!

Like THAT insane, I hope :D

That would be excellent. Adamson was a fucking fantastic guitar player and I like Mike Peters too and think although he's totally different vocally he should be decent doing BC material. Did you ever hear the Coloursound album that Mike Peters did a few years back with Billy Duffy from The Cult? Quality stuff.

What are they gonna do guitar wise? Obviously Bruce Watson is there but Mike Peters just tends to play rhythm on acoustic or electric. I'm not sure he'd be doing the lead parts that Adamson did. Will they have another guitarist playing so they can do the dual leads. Like the harmonies on Fields Of Fire for example.

What are they gonna do guitar wise? Obviously Bruce Watson is there but Mike Peters just tends to play rhythm on acoustic or electric. I'm not sure he'd be doing the lead parts that Adamson did. Will they have another guitarist playing so they can do the dual leads. Like the harmonies on Fields Of Fire for example.

Bruce's son, Jamie will be doing the harmonies etc... with 3 guitarists they're really gonna be able to replicate the Big Country album sound onstage...

Bruce's son, Jamie will be doing the harmonies etc... with 3 guitarists they're really gonna be able to replicate the Big Country album sound onstage...

Aw aye. Forgot about him. The 2 of them were playing in The Skids when I saw them earlier this year.

Aw aye. Forgot about him. The 2 of them were playing in The Skids when I saw them earlier this year.

He gid aye?

He gid aye?

Obviously he's not quite got a big onstage persona yet as he's pretty young but his playing was decent and meshed well with his faither.

I'm 100% at the dunfermline date, alhambras close to my house so it'll be a classic home show. Might fire along to the glasgow one as well.

I'd recommend yous come down to dunfermline on the 2nd, the whole place was mental for the skids home show and big countryll be just as awesome. You at the glasgow show aye?

I'm 100% at the dunfermline date, alhambras close to my house so it'll be a classic home show. Might fire along to the glasgow one as well.

I'd recommend yous come down to dunfermline on the 2nd, the whole place was mental for the skids home show and big countryll be just as awesome. You at the glasgow show aye?

Tickets go on sale monday at 9am, I'll be getting mine!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you come along, you'll be in good company :D.

Aye it should be a belter. I phoned Tickets Scotland earlier and there's still tickets left. Through in weegieland tomorrow afternoon so will make the purchase then as they're open until 4 tomorrow. My burd is a ben sherman so she knows hee-haw about them. Should be class though. Looking forward to seeing how Mikey interprets the songs.

Pleasure to see you as always my good man. Hope the rest of your night was a belter, and all the best for 2011. Big Country were fucking phenomenal for anyone looking for feedback.

Snake Eyes, you off to the Dunfermline show? Be sure to give us a bit of feedback!

Quality stuff. Think I was still further back at that point. Have you ever noticed that Brzezicki looks like Trigger from Fools & Horses? I'd never noticed before but at the end when he came forward he was right in front of me and there was a fair resemblance lol. Cracking drummer though. Also loved his playing on the Love album by The Cult.

• 2 months later...

New Big Country compilation in the shops on 4th April but available from their webstore from tomorrow.

Fields Of Fire - The Ultimate Collection

Also a UK tour throughout April. Saw them in Glasgow on Hogmany. Was a cracking night. Mikey a completely different voice from Stuart Adamson but totally does the classic material justice.