Axl and the Press

Fun n' Games

So I go to the concert in Vienna, it's really great, it's 2 and a half hours long, people love it, the crowd goes crazy. Then I come home and read the reviews: They are not bad, they are aweful! Almost all of them are full of negative stuff, in fact they are not even written in an halfway objective way; in many newspapers the way of writing reeks of hate. The comments to these online articles again, are almost all against the writer and for the band ("You went to the wrong concert!", "This reporter got no idea!"). The best articless are so-so, and I have yet to see a really positive one. Apparently, as you can see on the board, the same thing has happened in other cities too.

So what's the deal here? - Don't reporters like Rock? Are they all Slash fans?

Obviously, the press is on a mission here, and the goal is to make Axl look bad. Let me tell you, if you go to the concert and then out of 10 reviews read 8 aweful ones and 2 so-so ones, and in most of them you can really read hate between the lines, then it suddenly becomes really obvious what's going on here. If GnR haven't been to your city lately, or you don't read the reviews, or you haven't been to the concert, well then you might be saying: To each their own opinion. But if you have been there and read it all, it suddenly becomes VERY obvious what's going on. This is not about opinions, this is about completing a task, a task they had set out to long before this concert took place. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these articles had been written long before the band hit town...

Possible reasons for the press to make Axl their target: He hardly does any interviews - also, I have heard from someone close to the media that there are very rigid restrictions for them: You can only take photographs from very few points, etc etc.. So if Axl gives the press a hard time, they want to give him a hard time back...

Believe me I totally understand your point. I think more or so the same.

However I've been talking with people who were actually at the Paris show, and they hated it. They were fans, mostly fans of the old line up, but they did appreciate Chinese Democracy, but obviously, they have a problem with the 3 guitarists, and especially the missing guitarist. It's not just the press, most people talk shit about the band because they can't stand Axl got the name on his own and just hate without any objectivity. It's very sad, but no matter how good this new band is, they'll always get trashed. And it pisses me off.

You know, I was for a reunion, because obviously everyone being a GNR fan would like to witness Axl n Slash together once again, but now I think Axl should really continue with this band until he dies or retire because I think the "fans" and press don't deserve Axl and Slash back together. They have been trashing the band ever since Slash left (and decided to leave on his own!) and think they'll eventually "win" the reunion. If I were Axl and read the reviews, I'd probably retire, or maybe just do some private shows for the real fans that are left.

Obviously, the press is on a mission here, and the goal is to make Axl look bad.

It's working.

Of course it's working for the broad public, it has always worked, the media are just very powerful.

It's not working with people who went to the concert though, thank god! At least they don't have enough power to convince you that what you just saw was bad, when you really just thought it was good! :D

However I've been talking with people who were actually at the Paris show, and they hated it. They were fans, mostly fans of the old line up, but they did appreciate Chinese Democracy, but obviously, they have a problem with the 3 guitarists, and especially the missing guitarist. It's not just the press, most people talk shit about the band because they can't stand Axl got the name on his own and just hate without any objectivity. It's very sad, but no matter how good this new band is, they'll always get trashed. And it pisses me off.

But still, shoudn't there be a single newspaper to be found with a different opinion? Cause I can't find one... I feel like I'm living under some dictatorship in a third world country here, really...

I doubt you'd find a time in GNR's history when magazines, tabloids or broadsheets ever liked Axl.

He's never really played ball with the press has he

Didn't he do interviews till 1990 or 1991? Also, they were almost the biggest band on the planet back then - today, he is an easier target.

But still, shoudn't there be a single newspaper to be found with a different opinion? Cause I can't find one... I feel like I'm living under some dictatorship in a third world country here, really...

I found a good review but it was a french website, not newspaper in a physical format. I guess that they decided to hate no matter how good it was. Obviously they didn't know shit about what they were writing and I feel the people who wrote the reviews weren't to blame but the person running the newspaper was.

I feel the people who wrote the reviews weren't to blame but the person running the newspaper was.

Yep.

The Illumaniti up to no good. Isn't Azoff a Jew?

What I don't understand is how people purchase tickets to see a band they already plan to verbally trash before the show even begins. It just boggles my mind. They obviously buy tickets because they want to see Axl Rose perform, yet at the same time they strongly dislike/ despise the man. It's such a weird fucking paradox. The press is a horrid, evil beast. Though, whatever, these shows are selling out one after another. These reviews don't seem to make a difference. Ultimately, the band wins.

I think it is because Axl n company are an easy target to make lame jokes (fat, bald, unknown band members, goes on late, questionable clothing, no slash) it is just so easy to take literary pot shots at the band so people do it.

From the five shows that I was at this year not everyone enjoyed the show... but that wasn't anything to do with the band's performance. Shows were late, people have to work the next day, casual fans who have no idea about the last 15 years or chinese democracy....

But lets face it Axl doesn't exactly make it easy for the media to like him either... he issues press releases filled with venom, never talks to the media or if he does everything is edited or censored... he's moody...

Not that any of this justifies writing shit about the band when they play an awesome show... but it all contributes

Change the name.

Ultimately this will do nothing. The original band will not reunite and the years of yore are long gone. People should just fucking accept that the Guns N' Roses that they grew up with and loved (for those that are old enough to remember) is long fucking gone. A name means shit when the original members are not there. If people refuse to accept reality of this, then that's their problem. I realize that this band is not the same band that captivated my attention during childhood yet I accede that today's band is a live powerhouse. This GN'R is not my mother's GN'R, but I don't give a damn. Why do people cling on to the past so stubbornly? It has all to do with nostalgia and little to do with reality. I will admit, Axl Rose is a fucking frustrating and undependable front man. Although, his talent is undeniable. To sit through the monster of a show that they put on and complain about the fact that the original members are not there is just fucking stupid.

Fuck, that's a lot of fucks.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Change the name.

Ultimately this will do nothing. The original band will not reunite and the years of yore are long gone. People should just fucking accept that the Guns N' Roses that they grew up with and loved (for those that are old enough to remember) is long fucking gone. A name means shit when the original members are not there. If people refuse to accept reality of this, then that's their problem. I realize that this band is not the same band that captivated my attention during childhood yet I accede that today's band is a live powerhouse. This GN'R is not my mother's GN'R, but I don't give a damn. Why do people cling on to the past so stubbornly? It has all to do with nostalgia and little to do with reality. I will admit, Axl Rose is a fucking frustrating and undependable front man. Although, his talent is undeniable. To sit through the monster of a show that they put on and complain about the fact that the original members are not there is just fucking stupid.

Nope.

Change the name, and everything changes.

It is all about the name.

What I don't understand is how people purchase tickets to see a band they already plan to verbally trash before the show even begins. It just boggles my mind. They obviously buy tickets because they want to see Axl Rose perform, yet at the same time they strongly dislike/ despise the man. It's such a weird fucking paradox. The press is a horrid, evil beast. Though, whatever, these shows are selling out one after another. These reviews don't seem to make a difference. Ultimately, the band wins.

Agreed. The funniest thing is that, usually the writers don't know the band's history very well. Ignorance and reunionism seem to go hand in hand, more often than not (I'm so gonna get flamed for saying this...)

And, welcome back IR! :thumbsup:

Neither does the general public - hence half the people going to the concerts, think slash is still in the band or only want to hear appetite or the illusions.

Change the name.

Nope.

Change the name, and everything changes.

It is all about the name.

blah blah

Go make a reunion topic where it belongs.

Agreed. The funniest thing is that, usually the writers don't know the band's history very well. Ignorance and reunionism seem to go hand in hand, more often than not (I'm so gonna get flamed for saying this...)

And, welcome back IR! :thumbsup:

Neither does the general public - hence half the people going to the concerts, think slash is still in the band or only want to hear appetite or the illusions.

But we know the band and we've learned to lower our expectations.

Changing the name would be a disaster for Axl publicly. Everyone would tear him apart for giving in and going against everything he has been working and fiighting for for well over the past decade.

I agree. Axl is a breathing anti-hero (whether naturally or purposely that's a different discussion). That's part of the reason people are so allured to his performances. People love to hate him, yet they can't get enough of him. Giving up the name would mean giving up his strife. I firmly believe that if Axl were not able to perform under the Guns N' Roses moniker then he wouldn't perform at all. Giving up the name now seems like a silly option to me. He has sacrificed too much by keeping it (what little good reputation with the general public he had to begin with). It would be completely against his character to do so.

Edited by IndiannaRose

It's kind of like this forum. People spend a lot of time and energy on a fansite of a band they dont like and talk trash about. I would hate to know I put that much energy into something I dont like. If I dont like it, screw it, Im done with. Damn sure not gonna hang out on the internet talking about them everyday. Seems stupid.

It is the same way with Chinese Democracy reviews. It is almost as if nobody ever even listened to the album and couldn't wait to blast it. I genuinely understand the criticism of Axl and the desire to characterize this band as some sort of imitation Guns 'N Roses.

However, I don't get what seems to be an incredible bias against the music and an unwillingness to even give it a chance. I think Chinese Democracy is a fantastic album. If I had never heard of Guns N Roses and this album came out, I would think it was awesome. I have attempted to listen to many albums from many bands over the last 10+ years, and to me this is one of the most complete, ambitious and awesome albums in recent memory.

Why the hatred? It seems like the reviewers began the review with the intention of ripping on the album. It is strange, because everyone who has heard the songs from the album are actually surprised at how good it is, but they have been told by the press that it is some sort of colossal failure. Very strange. I guess to a degree this is what happens though when you bite the hand that feeds you and is how the press has gotten back at Axl.

You would think that the quality of the work would overcome the bias, but apparently not.

So I go to the concert in Vienna, it's really great, it's 2 and a half hours long, people love it, the crowd goes crazy. .........

great!! that's the best thing, that can happen to an artist

why do you care about the stupid press?

It's kind of like this forum. People spend a lot of time and energy on a fansite of a band they dont like and talk trash about. I would hate to know I put that much energy into something I dont like. If I dont like it, screw it, Im done with. Damn sure not gonna hang out on the internet talking about them everyday. Seems stupid.

Nobody comes here to talk trash about a band they don't like. Guns N' Roses is a very unique situation, and one that leaves a number of people frustrated, and why shouldn't it? This was their favourite band, and in some ways, to them, it's being made into a mockery. If some people were coming here, having always hated Guns N' Roses, and were deliberately trolling, then I could see your point, but I don't think there are any members here who don't like Guns N' Roses, in some shape or form.

It's no different than someone who comes here to harp on about how much they love Guns N' Roses and Axl and how everything he touches turns to gold.

Edited by Conor