Scott Weiland

American Psycho

I'm a big fan of Stone Temple Pilot's albums from Core through Shangri-La, I loved 12 Bar Blues, and Contraband is a pretty bangin' rock record. However, Scott is starting to lose me a bit, probably starting either with Libertad (though there was some pretty good stuff on it) or Happy in Galoshes. Happy didn't really do anything for me, because it felt watered down. I think after 12 Bar Blues did so badly he was afraid to really dig down into the different styles he was trying on Happy, so it came off as just kind of plodding down the center line without much inspiration. I felt the same way about STP's new self-titled record, too. It doesn't sound like them at all, save for Weiland's voice. He recorded the vocals separately over what the rest of the band wrote and recorded, and you can really hear it. It has almost none of the spirit of their other records, no progression as a band, and it just seems like a shot at a comeback rather than making music they really feel passionate about.

As for the stuff I do like, I'd consider Tiny Music, No.4 and Shangri-La-Dee-Da two of my favorite records. I'm a sucker for the mix of heavy, alternative songs and the slower, more psychedelic experiments on them. There's so many good songs between those three albums I can't even name them all, and even after I thought I grew out of the band, I rediscovered those records and fell back in love with them. Drugs or no drugs, they really pulled it together and put out some great music.

scott is the fucking balls.

I felt the same way about STP's new self-titled record, too. It doesn't sound like them at all, save for Weiland's voice. He recorded the vocals separately over what the rest of the band wrote and recorded, and you can really hear it. It has almost none of the spirit of their other records, no progression as a band, and it just seems like a shot at a comeback rather than making music they really feel passionate about.

it is different, but i like to look at it as an epilogue.

He's a great singer, can be prickish though, it appears.

The first three STP albums are all fucking great imo. No4 was a descent into nu-metal shit saved by 3or4 stellar tracks. The s/t is pretty good, dunno if I'll ever bother to buy it, but it shows off their fine ear for melody.

12BarBlues was an uncoherent, unfinished mess, I seem to remember.

Happy In Galoshes is just wonderful from start to finish, really his best work since Tiny Music, and one of the finest albums of the noighties.

• 2 months later...

I find it odd that people could find Weiland physically attractive, I mean, since the VR days he's resembled a pickled cadaver, lost a hell of a lot of weight since the early 90s.

I find him psysically attractive :shrugs: And he has gained weight since VR.

where's the cup

it was filled

now broken up

where's your man

he's lost and gone again

I LOVE that song :wub: Probably my fave of his solo songs along with "She Sold Her System".