If history had went the other way....

Vincent Vega

Sounds like that Izzy comment is referring to Axl and Slash's egos. I did read the UYIs basic tracks were done in maybe a month...Yet it took over a year for it come out. It took so long that Izzy didn't stick around for the later recording sessions (leading Slash to say Izzy didn't play on half the UYI songs and that he had to ''double up'' guitars for him on many tracks) and didn't even attend any of the mixing sessions.

Edited by Indigo Child

They probably would've had some success, but obviously they would'nt have been as big.

GnR takes Axl, Slash and Izzy (at the least)

I agree. It's weird to even think about... If they had fired him I think the likely hood of a reunion at any point would have been greater than what the situation is now.

a fired Axl gone solo...

what kind of music do you think he'd be making?

CD.

Thats not even me being an arse. CD IS his solo project.

I think they would have been successful initially as it would still be Guns (3/4 of original 5 present) but I think that success would dwindle into the type of success VR enjoyed with Contraband.

Guns n Roses is Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Adler.

1. Once Izzy left, they were screwed from a creative standpoint IMHO.

2. I think they all blew their load creatively on Appetite and some of the UYI stuff very early in their careers while they were basically a dirt poor street gang living on the edge with drugs and other dangerous stuff. I think once they became multi-millionaires, they lost a lot of their inspiration because they were no longer living like street punks. Some of the best stuff from UYI came from the band's earliest days before Appetite was recorded.

3. I feel that even if Izzy stuck around and the band had none of the ego nonsense between Axl and Slash, they still wouldn't have been able to ever come up with anything as great as AFD and the AFD-era tracks on the Illusions (YCBM, DC, NR, etc.). When you consider the solo output from each member since the breakup, there's been nothing to write home about for any of them. And with Axl holed up in his mansion, WTF kind of inspiration was he going to draw from for his songwriting? Nothing. Same goes for everyone else in the band for that matter. They lost their edge when they hit it so huge with Appetite right off the bat.