The cartoon at the start of rio 2001

Atlas Shrugged

I am sure this has been discussed before but I haven't seen any productive discussion regarding the cartoon+exorcist intro in 2001 at rock in rio. The cartoon itself seems to be laden with clumsy symbolism, as does the significance of the exorcist quote, but what does it reveal about Ax's state of mind at the time, and GNR? What message was he trying to get out via the cartoon+quote? Obviously there was a motivation behind the cartoon, a creative force, it's too nonsensical and metaphoric just to be 'a bit of fun.'

To this day that period in his life(late 90's/early 2000's), that band and that cartoon, are just so enigmatic and mysterious to me. So, what messages do you think are hidden within the cartoon, and what do they mean? eg. The alien, the midget, the weird "I think I shit myself" line. As an artist and lyricist Axl often uses symbolism, metaphor etc. hes a very poetic person, that's why I think these almost totemic images in the cartoon must have been/still are relevant in some way to a message or point of view he wanted to share.

to those who don't know what im talking about heres the vid

I think it's something each person is supposed to take in their own special way.

It's crazy how people on here think that Axl is this crazy genius who puts cryptic clues in everything he does. That video was clearly a tongue in cheek moment. The urine in jars was very much a homage to Howard Hughes who was a very well known recluse.

Oh and if there's anything those videos show is that Axl made the best move of his career running around the stage less.

What was the clip they played after the animation?

A quote from the Exorcist 3, if I'm not mistaken:

"This I believe in... I believe in death. I believe in disease. I believe in injustice and inhumanity, torture and anger and hate... I believe in murder. I believe in pain. I believe in cruelty and infidelity. I believe in slime and stink and every crawling, putrid thing... every possible ugliness and corruption, you son of a bitch. I believe... in you."

I honestly think the 2001 'Freak Show' lineup would have taken the world by storm if it had not been called Guns N Roses. It was such a unique band with an awesome sound.

25rose.jpg

E6E995E606798B0D135EBA_Large.jpg

The Robin Bucket mini solo is great. I have the whole show on Vhs :D

..the downside 'ok, nevermind' - I hear that line in my mind every time I hear The Blues / Street of Dreams

The best Patience version ever if you ask me. Maybe the 30 latest second wasnt that great, but the rest was the real deal m8. Beautiful version. The Blues too, never been played a better version. Axls Voice fit the song perfectly. Too bad how the song ended on the record and in 2006 when it was fucked up.

How can u say Patience sucked?

Um, because they fucked up the ending...

At about the 5:17 minute mark...Axl's singing the outro "I need you..woa I need you...." and the band doesn't even realize the song's suppose to end and keeps fucking playing. Axl's like WTF..and has to figure out what's going on. It's an absolute travesty.

This isn't memorex, it's not really a big deal.

I think it was. I mean, not only did they miss the last bar, they KEPT ON missing it. It's like none of them were even paying attention except Axl.

Meh, every line up of GN'R screws up on stage at some point, it's part of their charm!

True, but I only brought this particular incident up because someone said that this was the "best version of Patience" they had ever heard.

What was the clip they played after the animation?

A quote from the Exorcist 3, if I'm not mistaken:

"This I believe in... I believe in death. I believe in disease. I believe in injustice and inhumanity, torture and anger and hate... I believe in murder. I believe in pain. I believe in cruelty and infidelity. I believe in slime and stink and every crawling, putrid thing... every possible ugliness and corruption, you son of a bitch. I believe... in you."

Is that also the same intro from the UYI tour? I never saw that movie.