A Poll/Discussion on Hip Hop

Street_Of_Dreams

Hippity Hoppity  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hip-Hop is the most vital and vibrant form of music since Punk.

Some of my favourites:

A Tribe Called Quest

Dr. Dre

Eminem

Nas

Wu-Tang Clan

The Notorious B.I.G.

Public Enemy

N.W.A.

Snoop

Raekwon

ODB

Boogie Down Productions

Outkast

2Pac

Mobb Deep

Juice Crew

South Central Cartel

That's a good list. I would add Scarface and the Geto Boys, Slick Rick,Run DMC. Notice the trend, everyone on there is older. Rap sucks now. There's nobody out there right now that can compare to this list.

I like some of it, but it doesn't sit with me as well as alternative rock. I don't know whether its a culture that's lost on me, being a white, Scottish young man. I like the early stuff, and some contemporary artists like Saul Williams, but it just doesn't click with me that well.

Guest Len B'stard

i adore it. it is the most amazing unique beautiful RHYTHM BASED (take note rock n roll, this is why no one listens to you anymore) musical revolution, responsible for a HUGE cultural shift across the world, it's an amazing innovative form of music, an entire culture, it's amazing, it has everything, its own dress, it's own patois, it's own music, it's a proper cohesive culture and its what, kids who didn't have instruments had turntables and they made music using old record, how cooler can you get.

The MC thing came after and thats just basically Jamaican toasting, taken from Reggae and the dozens so it has it's own poetry, it has its own dance with B Boys. What can i say in praise of hip hop, it's just too huge a subject to tackle, i think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, all aspects of it.

Even the dreaded gangsta rap, it was basically just the news anyway, i dunno what was so offensive about it. I love the art of MCing, i love the groups, i love the early stuff i like what it is now, i just love it.

Grandmaster Flash, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, Marley Marl, Boogie Down Productions, Schooly D, Too $hort, Kool G Rap, The Beastie Boys, Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Nas, Public Enemy, The Last Poets, Afrika Bambataa, Slick Rick, Kool Moe Dee, ugh, i could go on for longer than anybody could care to read.

But yeah, jesus, it's so vast, its part of modern history now, part of the way we speak, even people outside the culture, it's international, theres Polish, Korean, Russian, British hip hop, it was the look and sound and attitude of an entire generation and now it's in to the second one and it's still going strong.

And it's open, the format is just a pallette that you can seamlessly incorporate bits of rock, jazz, metal, swing, blues, whatever into, that's the beauty of sampling, thats post modernism before people even knew what it was, chopping up of all these different records, a generation taking cues in attitude from punk and in rhythm from funk and disco and making this fresh and exciting kind of music while rock n roll just crept up it's own ass.

There's so much craft to all the different aspects, the dance, the DJing/sampling/scratching, the MCing, the art, graphiti artists and their roots in popular protest and their standalone artistic merit, i think it's something that's almost beyond criticism in a blanket sense by which i mean it's kinda odd for someone to say 'i don't like hip hop' cuz it's just...too fast a thing in a sense, it's not impossible but to me its like saying i don't like Americans or British or...y'know, it's such a broad thing to kinda not appreciate the merit of on some level cuz it's effect all of you. It's just everywhere, in our advertising, in our schools, on our TVs and radios, it's probably the single biggest cultural shift in America since i don't know what, it's effected peoples attitudes about sex, about the law, about gender and about race, really it's a part of history.

And then people laugh when you say you can bring change in the world through music.

voted love it and once a week. not that I love all of it, but there's lots of great stuff and it's all about listening to the good stuff and ignoring the shit (just like rock). once a week isn't really fair, because I usually listen to it a couple of times a week, but not really each day.