Digital Release

Nick85

MP3 releases sound like shite. It's a good thing for EPs or bonus tracks but too compressed for a whole record.

You shouldn't talk shit about things you know nothing about.

NIN released The Slip with plenty of options, high-quality lossless .M4A and even the 'gold-standard' .FLAC.

There's absolutely no quality limit when it comes to online releases.

If you're a retard and download MP3s - that's your own fault.

It's bullshit like this post that excuse people's laziness.

And don't say "it won't work because it's not GNR" that is the most stupid statement I've heard in my life.

Plus a NIN fan was going to get physical product as they always have.

To a lot of people, they're content with mp3. If a chick is working out to her mix music at the gym, I don't think she cares what bitrate it's at. The people with the higher end headphones are going to hear it though. What was really stupid was the RIAA's argument how an MP3 sounds like a master tape in the recording studio.

The next format that they're still debating on when is Blu Ray audio. McCartney said that they remastered the Beatles catalog for it. They were just waiting to sell all those remasters on CD and the mono box first, before taking more money from the fans, and selling their music at itunes. It's prob. going to be ridiculously expensive, but the demand is going to warrant a 300-500 dollar price tag, assuming they're going to do a mono/stereo/video collection, and include digital copies.

Most artists now are trying to find all sorts of ways to promote their music, and by far, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga have figured it out. Appear on every TV show possible

That can backfire (see: Superbowl Half Time Show).

Halftime wasn't a disaster, but I'll be surprised if Fox gets to broadcast it next year. If there is a Super Bowl next year, that is. I'm expecting the lockout to happen. It's going to suck more for the rookies and people who depend on football to make a living. I think Axl's hired physical therapists who've worked for the NFL.

The reason Guns can't just "put out a song/album digitally" is because they are still tied to a old fashioned record contract. You know, the whole "8 albums then you're free of your obligation to us" that big labels put on artists in the 80s and 90s in order to promote their efforts. I'm not sure how many albums Guns owe the label nowadays, but considering their slow output, its clear they still owe them at least one more.

Even then, if Axl were free to put out music at any given time, he probably wouldn't. It would not be "grand" enough for him. Much like his stage setups, expensive music videos, booking 15k plus seat arenas(which don't sell out in the US), and his habit of maintaining mystique, its clear that Axl is not the kind of musician who would just put it out over the internet, he wants things done in a big way. Bands like Radiohead, NIN etc never had the rock star diva complex, they always stayed level headed, almost indie in a way. Just my opinion though, i could be wrong.

Wants things done in a big way and yet he did zero promotion for the release of Chinese Democracy. I think you are describing a certain part of his mindset. The other part of his mind is reclusive as hell.

MP3 releases sound like shite. It's a good thing for EPs or bonus tracks but too compressed for a whole record.

Agreed, but no one has mandated that a digital release must be MP3.

Reznor has released 24bit lossless PCM audio in the past. Check out bandcamp.com where releases are available in any format you like - mp3, WAV, even ALAC.

The Radiohead album will have WAV files up for download - that's full CD quality.

Edited by ashysdad

The reason Guns can't just "put out a song/album digitally" is because they are still tied to a old fashioned record contract. You know, the whole "8 albums then you're free of your obligation to us" that big labels put on artists in the 80s and 90s in order to promote their efforts. I'm not sure how many albums Guns owe the label nowadays, but considering their slow output, its clear they still owe them at least one more.

Even then, if Axl were free to put out music at any given time, he probably wouldn't. It would not be "grand" enough for him. Much like his stage setups, expensive music videos, booking 15k plus seat arenas(which don't sell out in the US), and his habit of maintaining mystique, its clear that Axl is not the kind of musician who would just put it out over the internet, he wants things done in a big way. Bands like Radiohead, NIN etc never had the rock star diva complex, they always stayed level headed, almost indie in a way. Just my opinion though, i could be wrong.

Wants things done in a big way and yet he did zero promotion for the release of Chinese Democracy. I think you are describing a certain part of his mindset. The other part of his mind is reclusive as hell.

Well the story we have been told is that Azoff sabotaged the released, in which Axl forfeited his participation. I don't know the facts though.

Radiohead just announced that they will be releasing their next album digitally on Feb 19, with physical editions to follow later in the year.

Seeing bands get creative about releasing their music makes me realize just how much Axl is robbing the fans of the next album by sitting on it, probably waiting for a big fat pay off that will most likely never come. If bands like NIN and Radiohead can do this, why can't GNR?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41580233/ns/today-entertainment/

This isn't a bad idea actually. I know a lot of people will trash it, but GN'R has a pretty strong online following, and distribution this way is dirt cheap - basically just cover bandwidth, hosting, site design, and order processing etc.

I doubt Axl is waiting on any payoff though. I don't think he's holding up anything, I suspect it's the label. Funny thing is, if Chinese Democracy debuted to today's sales levels, it would easily be a #1 record. Bands like STP and Alice in Chains sold less with their recent albums and they were deemed a success. Record sales are so far down the label should be thrilled with any album that sells over 100,000 units at this point.

It's most likely a contract issue though... I think a lot of artists are probably envious of Reznor, or Billy Corgan, who can distribute their music as they see fit. There's still a lot of artists who are stuck in old school recording contracts though and owe albums to labels who no longer know how to market their product to an apathetic public that they've attacked and pissed off for years.