Digital Release

Nick85

Radiohead just announced that they will be releasing their next album digitally on Feb 19, with physical editions to follow later in the year.

Seeing bands get creative about releasing their music makes me realize just how much Axl is robbing the fans of the next album by sitting on it, probably waiting for a big fat pay off that will most likely never come. If bands like NIN and Radiohead can do this, why can't GNR?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41580233/ns/today-entertainment/

Chinese Democracy was the first fully digital recorded album, does that not count as a digital release?

Nonsense, the first fully digitally recorded album was way back in 1979, and by "fully" we're talking about digital recording, digital mixing and digital mastering.

Edited by axl8302

The great thing about these Radiohead releases is that they're often a surprise, the fans only find out a few days before the release, it would be awesome if GN'R did something like that.

How hard would it be to give us one track?

Edited by axl8302

Guest ben9785

Yes I have always wondered about this also. CD production delays are one thing but that is completely irrelevant when you have the music in digital format ready to go and it becomes almost instantly available to the world.

A simple idea is 're-releasing' "Chinese Democracy" - before a major US tour, they can offer one or two extra tracks through iTunes and the iTunes Music Store would take care of the promotion - "Guns N' Roses touring ..... .. / .. / .. new album now available with bonus exclusive tracks" or something like that.

Edited by ben9785

Radiohead just announced that they will be releasing their next album digitally on Feb 19, with physical editions to follow later in the year.

Seeing bands get creative about releasing their music makes me realize just how much Axl is robbing the fans of the next album by sitting on it, probably waiting for a big fat pay off that will most likely never come. If bands like NIN and Radiohead can do this, why can't GNR?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41580233/ns/today-entertainment/

Hey! You copied my question from the Axl question forum! ; ) /jk

I think it'd be cool if GNR used digital downloads for vault stuff and demos.

Hell, I'd pay money to get a pristine audio copy of GNRs appearance on the late show in 88. But I'd also buy songs of interest from any era of GNR. Anything that was scrapped or not included on Chi Dem would be cool too.

99cents a song.

The fact that Rush put out two new songs on their website for sale is a sign established bands are changing how they put music out. They just have to block You Tube for a time period on the studio versions so they're not just freely giving out the songs and no one buys them. To me, Chinese Democracy lost a million customers because of what MySpace did, they had it up for longer than they should have. Listening parties should be a week at the most.

But by far, when Kate Bush put out "Aerial". she made one video and did no promotion for it, no interviews. Just put it out there and let the record company advertise it. Axl at least did some interviews and answered questions for a bit.

I don't see why GNR couldn't put out batches of songs for sale, like they were putting EPs out.

Most artists now are trying to find all sorts of ways to promote their music, and by far, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga have figured it out. Appear on every TV show possible, touch base with your fans, and get out on the road and tour. And put it out on DVD. U2 put their 360 DVD out on a tour they were still in the middle of. They don't even wait until the tour's over. The Big 4 DVD is out, and now they're doing a US show. I'm sure some people are holding off on seeing it until they see the show live.

Most artists now are trying to find all sorts of ways to promote their music, and by far, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga have figured it out. Appear on every TV show possible

That can backfire (see: Superbowl Half Time Show).

Edited by bitstorm

MP3 releases sound like shite. It's a good thing for EPs or bonus tracks but too compressed for a whole record.

You shouldn't talk shit about things you know nothing about.

NIN released The Slip with plenty of options, high-quality lossless .M4A and even the 'gold-standard' .FLAC.

There's absolutely no quality limit when it comes to online releases.

If you're a retard and download MP3s - that's your own fault.

It's bullshit like this post that excuse people's laziness.

And don't say "it won't work because it's not GNR" that is the most stupid statement I've heard in my life.

CD first full digitally recorded album.... don't think so.

Hell I remember back in the late 80's early 90's when LA Guns released hollywood vampires and it was fully recorded digitally and stayed digital as long as you bought in CD format. It was a DDD format which means it was recorded digital and stay that way all the way to the CD format. It was only converted to analog for cass tapes and records.

I know thing have come a long way since then and I am sure LA Guns where not the first to do this but they where the first i remember doing it.

Edited by bigcountry

The reason Guns can't just "put out a song/album digitally" is because they are still tied to a old fashioned record contract. You know, the whole "8 albums then you're free of your obligation to us" that big labels put on artists in the 80s and 90s in order to promote their efforts. I'm not sure how many albums Guns owe the label nowadays, but considering their slow output, its clear they still owe them at least one more.

Even then, if Axl were free to put out music at any given time, he probably wouldn't. It would not be "grand" enough for him. Much like his stage setups, expensive music videos, booking 15k plus seat arenas(which don't sell out in the US), and his habit of maintaining mystique, its clear that Axl is not the kind of musician who would just put it out over the internet, he wants things done in a big way. Bands like Radiohead, NIN etc never had the rock star diva complex, they always stayed level headed, almost indie in a way. Just my opinion though, i could be wrong.