I get so sick and tired ot people saying about every live show..

bigcountry

It Was A Great Show,

And GNR were definitely at their peak in 1988.

If it was not their best show, it was still filmed during the bands best tour by far.

hqdefault.jpg

0.jpg

live_at_the_ritz.jpg

GunsnRoses-LiveattheRitz88.jpg

o_rZETFTrludzpQCv.jpg

0.jpg

Anybody that disagrees,

go back to your bedroom (be sure to lock the door so your Mom dont see).

And go back to jerking off to your $1.99 Vinyl copies of Chin Dem,

ya fuckin morons.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ritz concert was the perfect representation of what early GNR meant to so many millions of people and why they became the last Great rock n roll band. It wasn't about being "perfect" in your playing or seeming polished...GNR was in it's essence enormous talent/potential running on the rails and it embodied the liberation and wildness of what rock n roll is in its greatest moments.

If you don't get that, then frankly, you don't get what Guns N Roses was all about.

Well said!

Everytime someone post about a live song or concert being the best GNR has done you get the same old The Ritz 88 is the best.

I hate to tell you all that think the ritz 88 show is best, it really sucks in comparision to most 2006-prestent GNR concerts. Axl sounds like shit most of the ritz show and slash just about fucks up every solo. I know it was more of a club atmoshere but and raw and all of that. I was around back then and thought it was great at the time but I am not so closed minded to say nothing compares.

If Bumblefoot, Axl or anyone else made as many mistakes as where made at the 88 ritz show they would be ripped apart by most everyone here.

The ritz show has it place in GNR history, not doubt it is a classic but far from the best.

Axl doesn't sound like shit most of the show- there's just a few song parts where his timbre/tone is a bit off.

Slash definitely was hitting his light gauge strings a little too hard in some spots, but he too had his shining moments.

Steven fuckin kicked ass, and the sound of his snare drum alone is fucking awesome.

The show was a bit loose, Axl even comments on it. But it was so rock n roll! Axl stage dives, hurts his thumb, then finishes the song. Some dude who looks like Tommy Lee jumps on stage and has to be restrained. Some chick is playing with Slash's tone knobs while he's playing.

But for me, it was a special gig because MTV used the Knockin on Heavens Door version as an official MTV video. I remember seeing that video as a kid and fucking digging it. That's my definitive version- not the more glossy version on UYI and live shows with the backup singers.

There's something to be said for lacking a little polish. It is rock n roll after all. It's a rough diamond, a diamond in the rough, and that's why I love it.

Edited by mindsaber

its just a band some im not gonna keep arguing over it, but for me and a lot of other people. A band isn't just a name. Its about the music they create. im sorry, but CD is honestly one of the worst rock ablums ive ever heard. Theres no way I could ever associate just a pile of hogshit to Guns N' Roses. As far as Im concerned, GNR was stricken with cancer when izzy and steven left, and it died when slash left.

Funny how is this argument continues in virtually every thread, in every section, every day.

But, here's the thing I don't understand. You say Chinese Democracy is garbage. Why? The lyrics, the guitar, the vocal's? Nah, probably because you listened to it with a hard-headed thought process of "there's no Slash, this has got to suck." "This isn't Guns N' Roses!" Your comparing two different bands. It's like comparing The Beatles to AC/DC. Two completely different sound's. Sure, the name's the same. But, th bandmates have changed and moved on with their lives. Sure, it may not be the GN'R of 1985-1993, but it's damn good if given a chance. Which sadly alot of people are not because "THERES NO SLASH!!!"

What I did, is I listened to Chinese Deomcracy like any other Rock record. I loved it. Sure, Slash is gone, it's not the old band. But how can you say song's like Better, Madagascar, There Was a Time, and Chinese Demcracy are horrible?

The cancer of Guns N' Roses effected GN'R in June of 1985, and was cured and treated October of 1996. :thumbsup:

Thats it, two completely different bands. Thanks for making my point. Now if someone would tell Axl that...But you coudlnt be more wrong on the rest of it. I was in the BB parking lot the very day CD came out totally freaked out of my mind waiting for the next GNR CD. To me i know it wouldnt be the same, but god damn it Axl was on there and thats all I cared about for the time being. When I listened to it, I couldnt believe what I heard. Axl sounded like crap all throughout the cd. The songs were just boring, no good melodies or solos. The lyrics werent catchy or interesting in any way. It was a complete let down, cant even describe how much of a let down it was. Ive been a huge GNR fan since before middle school and have waited and waited for a new GNR cd, and just for this? seriously? Use Your Illusions takes a huge diarrhea shit all over this thing. I understand you like it, thats cool but I dont like a single song on that album. Catcher in the rye and better were so-so but the rest were just painful to listen to. I had to force myself to finish listening to those songs. Its been sitting in my dresser drawer for over 2 years now.

Yep, two different bands.

Axl know's it' a different band. In the "Axl's homework" essay he posted on here 2 year's ago, he said "I look at this band as nuGNR, and the old one as OldGNR." It's a different band with totaly different musician's besides one. But, unfortunely for the oldGNR fan's, Slash and Duff willingly signed over the name (whether inotixcated or not, they did), so the name Guns N' Roses is his to use at his expense.

And, see as though he got a new band to play with him, who are great musician's and I hope can write andm ake a record with Axl in the future, why just all the sudden stop using the name? In respect to Slash? A guy he has a buring hatred for becuase of Slash's manipulative way's? Nope.

its just a band some im not gonna keep arguing over it, but for me and a lot of other people. A band isn't just a name. Its about the music they create. im sorry, but CD is honestly one of the worst rock ablums ive ever heard. Theres no way I could ever associate just a pile of hogshit to Guns N' Roses. As far as Im concerned, GNR was stricken with cancer when izzy and steven left, and it died when slash left.

Funny how is this argument continues in virtually every thread, in every section, every day.

But, here's the thing I don't understand. You say Chinese Democracy is garbage. Why? The lyrics, the guitar, the vocal's? Nah, probably because you listened to it with a hard-headed thought process of "there's no Slash, this has got to suck." "This isn't Guns N' Roses!" Your comparing two different bands. It's like comparing The Beatles to AC/DC. Two completely different sound's. Sure, the name's the same. But, th bandmates have changed and moved on with their lives. Sure, it may not be the GN'R of 1985-1993, but it's damn good if given a chance. Which sadly alot of people are not because "THERES NO SLASH!!!"

What I did, is I listened to Chinese Deomcracy like any other Rock record. I loved it. Sure, Slash is gone, it's not the old band. But how can you say song's like Better, Madagascar, There Was a Time, and Chinese Demcracy are horrible?

The cancer of Guns N' Roses effected GN'R in June of 1985, and was cured and treated October of 1996. :thumbsup:

Thats it, two completely different bands. Thanks for making my point. Now if someone would tell Axl that...But you coudlnt be more wrong on the rest of it. I was in the BB parking lot the very day CD came out totally freaked out of my mind waiting for the next GNR CD. To me i know it wouldnt be the same, but god damn it Axl was on there and thats all I cared about for the time being. When I listened to it, I couldnt believe what I heard. Axl sounded like crap all throughout the cd. The songs were just boring, no good melodies or solos. The lyrics werent catchy or interesting in any way. It was a complete let down, cant even describe how much of a let down it was. Ive been a huge GNR fan since before middle school and have waited and waited for a new GNR cd, and just for this? seriously? Use Your Illusions takes a huge diarrhea shit all over this thing. I understand you like it, thats cool but I dont like a single song on that album. Catcher in the rye and better were so-so but the rest were just painful to listen to. I had to force myself to finish listening to those songs. Its been sitting in my dresser drawer for over 2 years now.

Axl know's it' a different band. In the "Axl's homework" essay he posted on here 2 year's ago, he said "I look at this band as nuGNR, and the old one as OldGNR." It's a different band with totaly different musician's besides one. But, unfortunely for the oldGNR fan's, Slash and Duff willingly signed over the name (whether inotixcated or not, they did), so the name Guns N' Roses is his to use at his expense.

And, see as though he got a new band to play with him, who are great musician's and I hope can write andm ake a record with Axl in the future, why just all the sudden stop using the name? In respect to Slash? A guy he has a buring hatred for becuase of Slash's manipulative way's? Nope.

Have you noticed over the past few years, since CD has been released the "New GN'R" label has kind of drifted away. It seems more like the new band just wants to be known as "GN'R".

Have you noticed over the past few years, since CD has been released the "New GN'R" label has kind of drifted away. It seems more like the new band just wants to be known as "GN'R".

It is GNR,it is 2011,not 1990's, and if perchance you were to actually get the "alumni" onstage together,there is little or no chance that the "magic" would be there,I've been to numerous shows in 2010 and I see that chemistry and magic,better musicians,and what they will write together nobody can judge,only speculate,I'm still convinced CD is an excellent album, musically and lyrically,and am chomping at the proverbial bit to hear more from Guns N' Roses! slash quit of his own volation,as did duff,and the contract stipulated IF the band were to disband,the name would remain with axl,I've seen the AFD lineup, as well as the Chidem 2010 lineup,slash is not missed at all,get over it.

Edited by Trilogy

Heyyyy, it's been a long time since I logged in. Any show from the old band is better than the new band. Yeah I said it. Now GFY.

No, if you want to see GNR,you accept the fact that it is what it is,and no one person dissolved the former band,it takes two to tango,The 2010 shows were amazing,how many did you see?

Everytime someone post about a live song or concert being the best GNR has done you get the same old The Ritz 88 is the best.

I hate to tell you all that think the ritz 88 show is best, it really sucks in comparision to most 2006-prestent GNR concerts. Axl sounds like shit most of the ritz show and slash just about fucks up every solo. I know it was more of a club atmoshere but and raw and all of that. I was around back then and thought it was great at the time but I am not so closed minded to say nothing compares.

If Bumblefoot, Axl or anyone else made as many mistakes as where made at the 88 ritz show they would be ripped apart by most everyone here.

The ritz show has it place in GNR history, not doubt it is a classic but far from the best.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. 2 different bands, 2 different era's.

Duff, Izzy somehow acknowleged that this line up is Guns N' Roses when they took the stage with them wonder why some posters can't live past the fact that as great as old line-up was it isn't coming back and should at least respect both new GN'R material and anything former members came up with. Izzy and Duff moved on and are not living in the past , some memebers should move on as well.

You are making assumptions because that is what you want to believe...... Just because they are still friendly with Axl and play with him ocassionally does not mean they recognize the current band as GnR.............

1999 Hard Force Mag interview with Duff

HF: Don’t you think it’s a bit unfair to play this semi-Guns concert, given that the band’s not complete?

Duff: We play together very often and what would be unfair would be to ask us to stop doing it. It would be like forbidding a kid to go play outside with his friends or telling him, if his parents were divorced, that he had to stop seeing one of them. But I think that, if we don’t want to form a band right now, it’s because we want to get away from that Guns image. We’d like to prove to ourselves that we are musicians. I left Guns N’ Roses because the band didn’t correspond to me anymore. What’s left of the band has nothing to do with what we had created. I even think what’s left is not Guns N’ Roses.

HF: Now the obvious question - do you think GN’R has a future without you and Slash?

Duff: Fans will be the real test. The group is likely to get away with it if they can go on a big tour, but I’m not even sure the public will come. When Led Zeppelin reformed without their bassist, John Paul Jones, I didn’t go see them. Page & Plant wasn’t Led Zeppelin. In my opinion, John Paul Jones played as big a role as the others and the band without him was worth nothing. I didn’t go see Aerosmith on tour with Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay [for the album Rock In A Hard Place ]. It wasn’t Aerosmith to me.

2001 Izzy Classic Rock interview with Mick Rock

MR: How does he feel though knowing it's being said as a Guns N' Roses album?

Izzy: "Well, it's obviously not Guns N' Roses. I think all the fans [know that]. It's not even right that he uses the name, because he's the only guy

. I think ultimately it's gonna work agaist him because people are gonna say fuck you, wanker - that's what they'll call him here, right? 'You fucking wanker, that's not Guns N' Roses!' Hopefully, the maniac's good, cos if the music isn't good then he's gonna get the double-whammy..."

Way to go with 1999 interview :rofl-lol:

Duff stated numreous times that he played with Guns N' Roses in London, Izzy was talking only positives about his time with the band on tour. Of course you can dig out even older interviews. But yes from personal statements by Izzy and Duff in recent years it is clear that they have moved on.

Well it is kind of a weird opinion. I think it's due to the basic fact that it is one of few pro shot concerts from that time. If you want to claim that they were best in the 80's, it's easiest to point to that concert. But it's like, how would we know if it was the best show? All we know is that the guys in the band weren't happy with the concert at all. At least Slash says so in his book, don't know if I have read it elsewhere too. It seems to have been a bad night. On KOHD you can hear Axl say "they're gonna think we are the sloppiest band in the world but I don't give a fuck". I think it's kind of him admitting they're having an off night, like he's trying to save their reputation on MTV. With thad said, I LOVE watching it.

We should just try to appreciate everything for what they are.

The Modern guns setup is a completely different beast and in a different era with people all grown up, Ritz and early nineties or whatever are a different thing and should be taken as such.

I really get both sides of the coin. I have several favourite bands of mine who've had that one amazing documented live show that you can always go back to and always feel you got your ass kicked by that same thing from the same DVD. And when the same band rolls into town you know that as default the show won't be anything nearly as spectacular. You get used to it.

The further you take real rock/pop connoiseurism, the more painful it gets, sort of. But the more you learn to appreciate the fact that sometimes a great thing is captured on film in great quality at its prime, at its peak.

Take Depeche Mode 1993 "Devotional" tour DVD. That thing is so crazily good it almost makes me cry just to think of it. But you know that if DM roll into town its a different thing even when the group hasn't changed at its core at all. Just that the people involved lead different lives in a different mind, different mind sets different songs and a different vibe.

You can't go back. but you can look and enjoy captured live magic.

It's not a great show musically, but at least is a GENUINE show of Guns n' Roses, there're not guys pretending be Guns n' Roses there, that's Guns n' Roses, that point make it epic and hsitorical.

I did not remember seeing Tracii Guns at that show.

All kidding aside, Slash left the band guys, I'm sad Buckethead left but I don't constantly bitch about how the current band is not really GNR because the best guitarist they ever had (Bucket) left. Grow up. As long as Axl is in GNR it will be GNR, that's the honest truth. Doesn't matter what you think about it.

Edited by Sweersa

It's not a great show musically, but at least is a GENUINE show of Guns n' Roses, there're not guys pretending be Guns n' Roses there, that's Guns n' Roses, that point make it epic and hsitorical.

Give me a break sweersa!!

Eh? Because anything without Tracii isn't a genuine GN'R show? Tell me how you are thinking here. Btw, the word "original" was not mentioned in the quoted post if that was what you were after.

I think why ppl say the Ritz show is one of the best, is not necessarily the band sounding at their best, more that it is one of the few proshot shows available to us that capture GnR in a way lots of ppl didn't get to see them. ALmost on top of the world, young, drunk, and before they exploded. It was them in the prime of their nitty gritty club gigs I guess, and this i think is more why ppl says its the best. Great shows don't have to have the guitarists and singers nailing everything perfectly.

Wish more of the early days shows were out there in good quality. Cathouse from the It so Easy video for example, would be mean, and clearly proshot footage exists of it.

Exactly! The Ritz concert was the perfect representation of what early GNR meant to so many millions of people and why they became the last Great rock n roll band. It wasn't about being "perfect" in your playing or seeming polished...GNR was in it's essence enormous talent/potential running on the rails and it embodied the liberation and wildness of what rock n roll is in its greatest moments.

If you don't get that, then frankly, you don't get what Guns N Roses was all about.

This.

It is GNR,it is 2011,not 1990's, and if perchance you were to actually get the "alumni" onstage together,there is little or no chance that the "magic" would be there,I've been to numerous shows in 2010 and I see that chemistry and magic,better musicians,and what they will write together nobody can judge,only speculate,I'm still convinced CD is an excellent album, musically and lyrically,and am chomping at the proverbial bit to hear more from Guns N' Roses! slash quit of his own volation,as did duff,and the contract stipulated IF the band were to disband,the name would remain with axl,I've seen the AFD lineup, as well as the Chidem 2010 lineup,slash is not missed at all,get over it.

ur not seeing GNR ur seeing Axl tour with whoever hasnt quit ot been fired yet

its a band name, not a band, do u know the difference?

seeing every lineup since AFD doesn't make u some sort of expert

whats next, u going to brag that u saw Axl sing in the church choir too

saying Slash isnt missed is naive, there would be no GNR today if it wasnt for the music he helped Axl make

what exactly was Axl doing before Slash joined the band? he didnt get that record label contract all by himself, no one was tripping over themselves to sign him until Slash came along,

u give one person way too much credit

n for the record, u didnt see the Chinese Democracy lineup in 2010, nice try

saying Slash isnt missed is naive, there would be no GNR today if it wasnt for the music he helped Axl make

what exactly was Axl doing before Slash joined the band? he didnt get that record label contract all by himself, no one was tripping over themselves to sign him until Slash came along,

I did see Guns N' Roses in 2010 multiple times,originally slash got the job because Tracii Guns refused to play some gigs, and YES,no matter how much you deny it,it is Guns N' Roses, and it's tragic you are so blinded you can't see the truth,your boy isn't the most prolific guitarist,and probably barely remembers his time in GNR because of his various addictions,you must still be embarassed over the superbowl fiasco :lol: or bitter because you haven't gotten to see GNR lately :D

I did see Guns N' Roses in 2010 multiple times,originally slash got the job because Tracii Guns refused to play some gigs, and YES,no matter how much you deny it,it is Guns N' Roses, and it's tragic you are so blinded you can't see the truth,your boy isn't the most prolific guitarist,and probably barely remembers his time in GNR because of his various addictions,you must still be embarassed over the superbowl fiasco :lol: or bitter because you haven't gotten to see GNR lately :D

It's a good thing Slash got the job because GNR was going no where until the original 5 got together! And GNR has gone no where since he left.

Eh? Because anything without Tracii isn't a genuine GN'R show? Tell me how you are thinking here. Btw, the word "original" was not mentioned in the quoted post if that was what you were after.

Absolutely, Tracii was the original guitarist so as soon as he was gone it was not GNR. Bring back Tracii Guns! (see how ridiculous this is, I love it)

Give me a break sweersa!!

I'm taking a break listening to things you can only dream about.

It's a good thing Slash got the job because GNR was going no where until the original 5 got together! And GNR has gone no where since he left.

Back on topic though Ritz is the best show I have seen from GnR maybe not note perfect but for sheer power and intensity its hard to beat.

I have seen the classic line up + the 02 line up, again in 06 (twice) and last year (with Duff!!).

I have to say the 06 Hammersmith show was easily the best I have seen from the new band but I still doesn't compare to the classic line up imo.

It just seemed to be more spontaeous and natural with the old band. The nu guys play great and all and its hard to put a finger on precisely what the difference is. I guess it would be hard for any band to match the chemistry the old band had, this is made all the harder because in the main they are stuck playing those amazing songs that the old band wrote.

Edited by Lines&Noses

Way to go with 1999 interview :rofl-lol:

Duff stated numreous times that he played with Guns N' Roses in London, Izzy was talking only positives about his time with the band on tour. Of course you can dig out even older interviews. But yes from personal statements by Izzy and Duff in recent years it is clear that they have moved on.

Why would you be :rofl-lol: at a 1999 interview. Duff was speaking his mind about the band around the band at the time. Still relevant today as those people are still around. Izzy's comments on Finck don't necessarily correlate to Dj Ashba. Duff's London concert was a surprise to many fans and that was recent, not something that was clearly expected. The "Slash is cancer" comment really shows who is living in the past.

That whole "moved on" mantra is double edged sword too. Yeah if you look at Duff, Izzy, and Slash they have moved on but GN'R broke down and stopped moving altogether.

I am not a slash hater, I respect what he did to help the legacy of guns. But to say this is not guns n roses cause the orginal band left, is stupid. Gnr is a vision of axl that still carries on through his music. The newgnr have the right to be called guns n roses. Guns is much more than a name, its a legacy of its own. Some say Axl uses the name just for money, wrong! If it was about money he would just suck it up and play with his old bandmates. We all know they would be up for it. Its just like a sports team, just because they change players and lose players doesnt mean they have to change their name. I have been told that I have seen Axls band, not the real gnr. Of course they mean original band. And they agrue to try to prove their point. Their (haters) point will never get proven, never! And why? Because their point is an opinion. Simple fact, opinions cannot be proven. Even though in their warped little minds they beg the differ. The fact of the matter is that I as a true gnr fan have paid to see guns n roses play live. It says on the tix, venue, and the contract. Most importantly in my heart its guns n roses! And nobody will ever change my mind by their opinions.