Quotes on Axl Rose from other band members

SoulMonster

This was awesome. Thanks for the effort and time compiling. Would love to read your other lists, dude.

For the last 10 years since Rio i've supported Axl based on the musical differences argument. A few minutes of Twat is worth more than the entire output of the ex-members to me. But reading these quotes again like this makes me sympathise with the other guys if for no other reason than Axl got his way 15 years ago and has done almost nothing with it except make himself and Guns the biggest joke in the industry.

TEN FUCKING YEARS AFTER RIO 3 HE'S GONNA GO OUT THERE AGAIN WITH BAND NUMBER 3 AND PLAY THE 'NEW' SONGS MADAGASCAR, STREET OF DREAMS AND CHINESE DEMOCRACY

That basically sums up why i've lost all my passion and love and respect for his project. When they announced Guns for Rio 4 I ran around the house losing it with excitement and booked tickets right there. When the Rio 2011 show was announced I found about it 2 weeks late because I barely bother to check the forums anymore.

Brian May: I'm totally relaxed about the outcome, as I always was, and I hope that Axl will now feel liberated, by the final emergence of his magnum opus, to move on, and get back out there where we all want him to be, rockin' around the world ...(brianmay.com, Dec 2008, http://www.brianmay....nssbdec08a.html)

THIS and THIS ALONE is enough.

Great read, great thread.

Hope this puts things in perspective for haters of the old band... probably won't though, I mean, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven could easily be lying right :rolleyes:

I would say that there are no haters of the old band as the whole, there are just people who moved on and don't want a reunion. Of course there are some Slash-haters or Adler-haters, but I haven't heard of anyone hating Duff or Izzy.

There are, however, haters of the new band, people who can't accept that GNR can still exist without the former members and can do well (great album, great live gigs, great musicians). These people are very often Axl-haters, they can't accept the fact that he still uses the name of the band he co-founded and has been a leader since late 80's.

Great read, great thread.

Hope this puts things in perspective for haters of the old band... probably won't though, I mean, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven could easily be lying right :rolleyes:

I would say that there are no haters of the old band as the whole, there are just people who moved on and don't want a reunion. Of course there are some Slash-haters or Adler-haters, but I haven't heard of anyone hating Duff or Izzy.

There are, however, haters of the new band, people who can't accept that GNR can still exist without the former members and can do well (great album, great live gigs, great musicians). These people are very often Axl-haters, they can't accept the fact that he still uses the name of the band he co-founded and has been a leader since late 80's.

+1 :thumbsup:

Great thread! But just imagine finding a thread like this about yourself... that's gotta leave you with a pretty damn strange feeling!

Me too,

But I believe he is accustomed to such things, but in any case ... someone of the camp, occupy Axl with other things until the thread finish!!

Interesting thread, :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting.

Cool.

I would like to see that, if you ever post it anywhere.

But I know that takes alot of time, so I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for this post!

It is already published online. I started a thread with quotes about Slash (many from Axl, of course), but it was deleted, probably because I linked to my own forum. Just PM me and I will give you the address ;).

Matt: “I actually have a newfound liking and love for Axl Rose,” Sorum said. “You can print that. I've said a couple of bad things about Axl, and I think they've come back to bite me. The one thing I know about Axl Rose, as much as a d--- as he was at times, the stadium was usually sold out! A little difference between [scott Weiland and Axl Rose]. I'm talking 50,000 not 5,000. I could deal with that. A jet, I'm not talking just a Jet, a 727, my own limo and a guy to carry my s---." (Gibson, May 2008, http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/news/matt%20sorum%20slams%20scott%20weiland)

I remember also a video interview of Matt saying that Weiland was the most difficult person he ever worked with, and other interview when he compared the two singers saying that Weiland was much worse than Axl - but I can't find it now

I think most lead singers have a certain , I'm the most important, I'm the face of the band, without me there is no, type attitude.

It possibly developes because they are the one member that the average person looks at, analizes, is most critical of, in the front, leads the shows, asked to do the most interviews, most of the praise, responsibility, and fault fault falls upon.

That is a shit ton of responsibility compared to the other members. And that magnifies when your the frontman of GNR.

It's no ones fault. Just the way it is IMO.

There are exceptions I'm quite sure.

Just a theory, and definately can

Josh Freese: "Everyone always baits me to give them a crazy Axl story," he admits. "I don't really have any. I spent two years in a studio with him [and] I never saw any mood swings. He was never not cool to me. So, I am always quick to defend the guy, even though I know his reality is different than mine. Then again, everyone has a different reality."

Freese auditioned for the Axl-centric Guns in 1997, albeit a little reluctantly. "I was pretty busy at the time, so I didn't really need the job necessarily," he says. "Then I decided that I should go down there because I wanted to meet him. At the time, no one had seen him for a couple of years and there were all these rumors. He had become the Howard Hughes of rock 'n' roll and I wanted to see it. I went down and I liked him. He wasn't the monster that was painted of him." (Spinner, March 2009, http://www.spinner.com/2009/03/27/guns-n-roses-drummer-defends-axl-rose/)

I think most lead singers have a certain , I'm the most important, I'm the face of the band, without me there is no, type attitude.

It possibly developes because they are the one member that the average person looks at, analizes, is most critical of, in the front, leads the shows, asked to do the most interviews, most of the praise, responsibility, and fault fault falls upon.

That is a shit ton of responsibility compared to the other members. And that magnifies when your the frontman of GNR.

It's no ones fault. Just the way it is IMO.

There are exceptions I'm quite sure.

Just a theory, and definately can

I think this is a good analysis. I also think there is natural jealousy from other members because of this. They feel they have a bigger part in the music and success than they are credited for, and the lead singer gets all the attention.

It may cause groupings within the band and it may cause biased opinions that the other members confirm and later on exaggerates amongst each other. Much like what sometimes happens with unpopular colleagues in a working team, or with a boss.

Edited by Changes

Guest siliconmessiah

So Mr. Mod, are you gonna delete every thread now where I'm going to say that deleting the thread discussing Gunsguy was a mistake?

Probably.

And me saying that Axl:s silence and wearing and tearing of lineups have destroyed GNR. It will probably be deleted in minutes.

But then again...there is an ounce of this thread hailing Axl as a saint, when in fact he is an asshole deluxe. So it might stay.

• 7 months later...

With all the recent interviews I have obtained a lot of new quotes on Axl from band members (I hope to get Duff's memoirs this Christmas to add more quotes from him). Rather than copy-pasting which is a bitch because of different standards between the two forums I just post the link here, read what those who know him best has to say about the enigmatic rock god: http://gnr-afd.forumotion.com/t90-axl-rose

And yeah, I do this for all members (past and current), all GN'R songs, and even all live concerts (in progress), so just browse around and read. Don't need to sign up or anything.