new x factor commercial

zach_n-ash

i done a lil searching and couldnt find it but maybe someone else may be able to or it may hit the net later tonight or tomorrow which they showed it on the mlb all star game on fox so its possible they could rerun it during the broadcast

Guest Len B'stard
the new x factor commercial that premiered during tonights all star game featured gnr's version of live and let die. thought it was pretty cool and was suprised axl would allow it. great to hear em even if in a commercial!

There are so many people with such strange perspectives on GnR, it's really weird. What makes you think Axl wouldn't allow it? You do realise Guns music is like, on videogames and all sorts, he's hardly some principled punk rocker type. I've been noticing a lot of this lately, since i been reading the news threads, the new news discussion section, whatever the fuck its called, that Slash is some big commercial sellout and Axls this edgy hardcore artist.

At the risk of repeating myself to the point of redundance, these are people signed to major corporate record labels, we're not talking about Ian Mackaye here.

the new x factor commercial that premiered during tonights all star game featured gnr's version of live and let die. thought it was pretty cool and was suprised axl would allow it. great to hear em even if in a commercial!

There are so many people with such strange perspectives on GnR, it's really weird. What makes you think Axl wouldn't allow it? You do realise Guns music is like, on videogames and all sorts, he's hardly some principled punk rocker type. I've been noticing a lot of this lately, since i been reading the news threads, the new news discussion section, whatever the fuck its called, that Slash is some big commercial sellout and Axls this edgy hardcore artist.

At the risk of repeating myself to the point of redundance, these are people signed to major corporate record labels, we're not talking about Ian Mackaye here.

If anything, they probably used the Guns version to avoid paying Macca for his, which would probably have been more expensive...

It's good... anytime GNR is in the mainstream media. Just because some people don't like talent shows... doesn't mean every aspect of them is bad. From my perspective i'd rather watch sports then judges mock people of questionable intelligence trying out. At the same time Crystal Bowersox from American Idol actually caught my attention a few years ago and I enjoyed listening to her sing on the show and even watched the later rounds of the show. It's hard to deny the popularity of these shows... so good for Guns to have a song played like this even if it's a cover.

Guest Len B'stard

If anything, they probably used the Guns version to avoid paying Macca for his, which would probably have been more expensive...

Yeah, Macca don't even think twice about robbing the graves of his heroes (Buddy Holly), love is all you need...that and about a billion pounds in assets. Apparently he was hit hard by the ol' recession.

No Axl wouldn't have to approve it, TV channels buy blanket licenses for their in house productions, which means they can use pretty much anything they like. If they were to release a DVD with it on, for example, then it would require Axl's approval, but for TV broadcast on shows like the x factor, it's fine.

Guest Len B'stard

No Axl wouldn't have to approve it, TV channels buy blanket licenses for their in house productions, which means they can use pretty much anything they like. If they were to release a DVD with it on, for example, then it would require Axl's approval, but for TV broadcast on shows like the x factor, it's fine.

really? i never knew that. doesn't sound right though...but in another way i guess it does. so all these shows like american idol and whatever can use whoevers songs they feel like, that can't be true...can it? I suppose like, covering a song or what have you, you don't need permission, i dunno, it'd be interesting to find out though..

really? i never knew that. doesn't sound right though...but in another way i guess it does. so all these shows like american idol and whatever can use whoevers songs they feel like, that can't be true...can it? I suppose like, covering a song or what have you, you don't need permission, i dunno, it'd be interesting to find out though..

It's complicated and performance rights are a little different, I'm not sure exactly how it works with certain artists performing songs on shows like X Factor or American Idol. But as far as using songs in their commercials, and VT, they are usually covered by a blanket license. Of course not all artists or publishers allow themselves to be included in these 'blanket license' deals, so in those situations they would need to be contacted directly. The BBC is a good example of a broadcaster who makes good use of their blanket license, I even heard 'Live and Let Die' on changing rooms once! There's no way Axl was approached to clear that! :D

These blanket licenses do not cover DVD releases though, in that case the artist needs to contacted directly for permission. Top Gear and Skins are good examples of this, they use pretty much whatever they like for broadcast but on VOD or DVD they largely have different soundtracks.

Edited by axl8302

Is that why WWE for example, when they have Undertaker use a Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock song as his theme for a couple of years it's fine on Raw and Smackdown, but when the Wrestlemania dvds from those years are released, they change/remove the music?

Is that why WWE for example, when they have Undertaker use a Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock song as his theme for a couple of years it's fine on Raw and Smackdown, but when the Wrestlemania dvds from those years are released, they change/remove the music?

I'm not overly familiar with WWE, but I would imagine that would be the reason. Once it's on DVD it moves away from 'broadcast' rights into 'sync' rights which is far more expensive and tricky to negotiate. For example, it would be no problem for the BBC to use Sweet Child O' Mine on Eastenders, but if they were to produce a theatrical picture, for profit, with a DVD release etc, their license would not be useable. They would have to secure permission directly from Axl/managment and pay his fee.. which is what, like a million bucks?

• 3 weeks later...