Why GN'R?

Yesterdays-Civil-War

Axl's a martyr in a lot of ways and so am I. I suppose that's why I'm drawn to his music and disposition. He's truly a man against all odds and I admire the hell out of that. It takes serious guts to be Axl Rose everyday and yet he keeps on going.

Edited by Nintari

Axl's a martyr in a lot of ways and so am I. I suppose that's why I'm drawn to his music and disposition. He's truly a man against all odds and I admire the hell out of that. It takes serious guts to be Axl Rose everyday and yet he keeps on going.

Agreed! I can relate to that

My Dad got me into them a few years ago when I was a young grade school boy who just thought AC/DC was the most badass thing. I stayed a casual fan, I knew all of their hits and a few more songs that I'd always hear with my Dad since he was always a huge fan. When I saw them in concert in Cleveland in 2006, I had this craving for this "mysterious" album that has supposedly been being worked on for a decade. Once Chinese came out, I was in love. My family and friends thought it was kind of bad and not like the old GNR. But I would keep listening to it almost everyday and being 14, this was the deepest shit I ever heard in songs.

Then my Dad and I went up to Canada last year and saw them back to back nights. He finally fell in love with Chinese Democracy and kept it in his car, and I found all of his old GNR CD's. The epic songs on the UYI albums were so amazing and I had never heard anything like them. Yet, they had such a diverse range, from Coma to Think About You, these songs were completely different yet had this crazy emotion behind them. Then I began to idolize Axl and Izzy because of how they weren't like other musicians. Every one of my friends knew who Slash was, but those two were more mysterious.

Axl's character in everything I read or watch of him simply fascinated me, he was the coolest frontman I knew of besides Jim Morrison. Now I am a diehard fan that loves nearly every song they've written, and I can't wait to hear more.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't go in for all that "i like his music cuz he was abused as a child" bollocks, which is what it amounts to when you point out things like a history of abuse as the reason why GnR do it for you.

When GnR first did it for me, as a kid, when i first got into music, it was cuz i just thought they were bad motherfuckers with musical talent. Thats pretty much it, they just looked and sounded cool. when you're 8 or 9 years old things like cursing and wearing leather jackets is grounds enough to like someone :lol: But no, more than anything it was the music. Things like Welcome to the Jungle etc, i didn't really have the wherewithal to understand what a lot of the songs was about. There were clear additions to my vocabulary from reading the lyrics of Appetite, i was that little when i first heard it, especially Illusions, half the stuff, when i read the lyrics, i didn't have a clue what he was talking about and i supose it didn't matter, i knew it was naughty whatever it was.

Slashs guitarwork was my first kind of....awakening to rock n roll and the guitar and what a cool thing it was/is and how cool it would be to be that guy with the long straggley hair and the top hat. I remember just being amazed by him, mesmerized. I wanted to be that fuckin guy. I was never that enamoured of Axl, chiefly because a lot of like...i didn't know any backstory on these guys, i didn't know any like...hadn't heard any interviews, wasn't aware of the big occurances, didn't really have a grasp of like...their personas or whatever. Slash looked to me like...a design for life. He was just self contained, leather jacket, guitar and pants and thats it, wherever he went, whatever he did, he could still pluck that fuckin guitar and be like...the shit. As a kid, it made perfect sense it was like, YES!! HIM!! THAT ONE!!

Axl is some sick level talented guy, that voice is something else, i could never aspire to that...but i could aspire to learning to play the guitar. I totally got the long straggley hair thing too, the covered face, the shyness, he just looked the definitive article. When you're a kid and like, you look at the world of grown ups and think, this fuckin sucks, this is a rip off, i don't wanna grow up and drive a cab or work in an office or a factory and then someone like Slash bowls into your life as if to say "hey, that ain't all there is, sunbeam!".

They were just horrible, thats why i liked them, horrible. A perfect antedote to the dull boring suburbia i grew up in, people that, just by the look of them they meant fucking trouble. It's just what you want as a kid. And i wanted to be Slash. Pathetically enough, i first smoked cuz of like...Slash, to look the business like Slash :lol: Cigarette dangling out of my mouth, pulling a face cuz everytime i breathed in it made my throat feel raw :lol: It was actually that bad like, hero worship...with little to no like...basis for the worship cuz i really didn't know jackshit about Slash or anything, all i knew was what he looked like and the songs.

But it was that bad like, OK, i'm gonna grow my hair long and get a perm (never did), whats that guitar he plays, right, Gibson Les Paul, gonna play one of those when im older. Basically Guns were like, my first adult world obssession. When Ninja Turtles and WWF just didn't cut it anymore it was like, OK, Guns n Roses, this is what it's all about. Also not having heard that many guitarists at that age, when you see Slash laying into the guitar on one of them long solos you just think he's the most greatest most talented guy to ever ever ever pick up a guitar.

And i just loved the music, it blew me away, i didn't know that...you could write songs about things like that, half the time i didn't understand what the songs were about, like Mr Brownstone but you just...pick up on an attitude. Rocket Queen was like a manifesto to me, i basically took from that song that Axl was sayin "you can't fuck with me" :lol: And cursing!! *gasp*!! Cursing in music!!! Those big adult words that you're not allowed to say...on a record! :lol:

The guitar work nailed it for me though. I'd heard heavy metal before or metally type stuff but this was different, this weren't a load of yelling and crap about ghosties and ghoulies and all that stuff, this was like...real. And it was cruel and unforgiving and that felt kinda like...grown up.

Put simply, when you're a kid, or when i was a kid, i got the distinct impression that...the world had more to offer than school job marriage and death. Guns confirmed that through music. And ever since then thats been a sort of pre-requisite for my liking a band, the not giving-a-fuck aspect. Not necessarily as aggressively as Guns but same sort of thing.

Never had MTV or cable or any of that shit so i didn't know like, about any of the controversies of their interviews so like...it was all pretty much the musics doing. I pretty much had the albums covers to go by. Oh and a book called Guns n Rose In Their Own Words by Mark Putterford (i still remember the bastards name :lol:) but at 9ish years old my reading weren't up to much anyway.

Edited by sugaraylen