Why GN'R?

Yesterdays-Civil-War

What is it about Guns N' Roses that makes you guys like them so much and/or makes them your favorite band?

I was looking to get more than an answer like, "Their music rocks!"

So for example I'll share my sentiments.

I've always related heavily towards Axl Rose. There's always been a physical imitation factor for me, as I wear/wore this Axl Rose shirt in which I got comments all day like, "You look like the guy on your shirt," or "Why are you on your shirt?" But of course it goes deeper than that, I find myself relating a lot to Axl's lyrics and the meaning behind them...whether it be about relationships or a checkered past. I'm also a perfectionist, I found/find myself writing songs/poetry but I never show it to anyone...it's not that I'm embarrassed to show it to people, I tell people that I do stuff like that but when they ask about it, I take more of a, "it's not finished," approach. To add to all of the reasons why Axl is a musical, and somewhat spiritual role model for me, the music playing behind him was absolutely mind blowing...it was with old-Guns and it still is today with nu-Guns. I think that Guns N' Roses, in their short tenure, definitely ranks in the top 5 greatest bands of all time, up there with Zeppelin for sure and they deserve a spot in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm sorry in advance if you guys think this thread is boring and or stupid, I personally thought it would be interesting. Thanks.

Edited by Yesterdays-Civil-War

The fact that Axl went from having a shitty childhood to becoming successful without completing high school or have some college degree really inspires me. He is proof that you can do whatever you want with your life.(shackler's revenge bridge insert). Plus his voice is fucking amazing.

Edited by packersnroses

Okay, I'll never forget the first time I saw and heard GNR.

My brother had cable at the time and I didn't, but he would record the MTV's Headbanger's Ball for us and we would watch the videos after Sunday dinner.

I remember seeing GNR and hearing the first few chords of Welcome to the Jungle. At first seeing Axl will his hair all teased up, I thought, oh no another Poison wanna be band, but my brother was like no wait, listen to these guys.

Well, the song, the video, the whole experience was awesome and I realized than how different this band was and how music was now going in a very cool direction.

Before you knew it, MTV realized how awesome these guys were and you started seeing the video on the air during the day. Before you knew it, more videos came on, Sweet child of Mine and of course the interviews with these guys.

the whole band had a different look and sound that any band before them in the 80's. You knew these guys did what they did to please themselves and didn't give a shit what anyone else said. They did things their way and made no apoligies for it. the whole AFD album was amazing. These were new and different songs. Songs about how GNR lived their lives. For a mother of 2, it was cool to see these guys making awesome music and breaking the rules as they went. They were COOL and that was part of the mystic of this band.

To this day, I love GNR. I'm still fasinated with their history, glad that Axl has continued on as well as Slash and Duff. These guys are still proud of being a part of GNR and regardless of their fights or disagreements, they are and will remain one of rock's best bands ever. My son is a huge fan now. He learned to play drums listening to AFD. He has his own band now. He was able to meet Steven Adler once and got to tell him he was the reason he took up drums.

GNR is very much a part of my music history and now it's my son's too.

GNR changed the face of music in the 80's. That in itself is a feat not many bands can say. I would say I'm probably more of a fan now that I'm older and I'm kids are grown. I still have posters of GNR and still wear their t-shirts. This is a band that will always be special to me and I'm proud to say I'm a fan!

'What is it about them that does it for you?'

Too be honest.. nothing anymore :shrugs:

I just visit these parts to follow what I call the Axl Rose *soap opera :D

- the legal cases

- the airport fights

- the showing up on stage late

- the rumour trails

- the tantrums

- the guessing games (who's in, who's out)

- the legal cases

- the airport fights

- the rumour trails

- the tantrums

So, GN'R doesn't do anything for you anymore, then why are you here?

- the legal cases

- the airport fights

- the rumour trails

- the tantrums

That is just weird.

Aren't there bands out there that you enjoy? I only go to websites and forums for things I enjoy. I just cannot even fathom wasting my time on forums of things I don't enjoy.

I love baseball.....but don't like hockey. Hhmm. Instead of going to Mlb.com I think I will go spend 30 minutes a day for the next ten years on hockey websites and forums. See how ridiculous that sounds?

I love Guns since 1987... I was only 7 years old...the danger off the band... What à rush! Best band ever.. The thing is is that i am also à musician.. Bassplayer... Have alcoholproblems... Never thought i had alit in common with duff until now... Love the "new" band also axl is fucking on fire live ... ChineSe is fucking great!!! I never saw the band back in the day.. Almost saw them in Barcelona 93.. But in 2006 i was at the Stockholm show.. They were on time !! And so fucking badass!!! Love ... Guns has helors/destroyed My life !

Guns music has always connected with me in a way I can't explain. I remember when I was 9 I tried to get into maiden because my mate loved them, but the music just didn't grab me.

Then I heard Jungle and the rest of AFD and I was hooked. This was way back in '88.

I fell for GNR the first time I saw them on MTV. But didn't really get hooked tell I read Axl's first cover article in Rolling Stone. I only saw the raw side of the band until then. After reading what he had been threw and some of his views there was no turning back. Like a lot of people out there I have been threw some heavy shit in my life. I would never compare it too what others have been threw but I could really truly relate. And I still feel that with the new stuff. Songs like Maddie have sooooo much meaning too me. I can't tell you what that song has done for me. I don't know if the words were written with the mean I took from them. But they spoke too me in ways no one else could. That song has given me my soul back.

Forgive them that tear down my soul.

Bless them that they might grow old.

And free them so that they may know,

That it's never too late.

Once again Axl! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR THOSE WORDS!

I guess something about the music just clicked with me. When I first got AFD, I couldn't stop listening to it for months. I'd say the whole album got at least a total run through every day for about 3 or 4 months.

I love nearly every GnR song, and they're the only band I can say that for. That, added with the attitude and the general awesomeness of those 5 guys just made me love GnR.

Axl Rose.

Me, too. I've always been a casual fan of GN'R up until very recently when I went to see a tribute to GN'R and remembered how awesome they were. I started looking up some songs, but while I was looking them up, I noticed that everybody had something to say about Axl Rose -- and it was usually negative. I've always kind of looked at him as a controlling, self-serving A-hole, but, for some reason, that bothered me in this instance. I decided that he couldn't be all bad. So I started looking into things. The more I found out about him, the more I realized that either he's not a bad guy or that I, too, am a controlling, self-serving A-hole (to a smaller extent maybe). All the things he did that were bad made perfect sense to me. So I dropped my outlook on him and opted for a new one. Now I adore him.

While I was doing this, I stumbled upon a little song called, "Coma." That song is the most relatable song I've ever heard. It was perfect. That song made me officially a fan of the band, and it made me fall in love with Axl's voice. I started seeing Axl as an artist, not a dictator. His on-stage charisma added to my newfound respect for him.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't suddenly like someone's character based upon music and performing, but I dunno. It makes everything seem all the more honest, and it's this honesty that makes me adore GN'R. That and the attitude evident in every song.

For me, my love for Guns stems from Axl, and the amazing musicianship of Izzy, Slash, Duff, Buckethead and all the others is just the icing on the cake.

- the legal cases

- the airport fights

- the rumour trails

- the tantrums

Not surprised...

He/she/it is here to annoy people, and then brag about it on some lame-assed other gnr board.

Exactly,so I'm really not paying attention to such posters because of their agenda. I've been addicted to GNR since the late 80s;seen them as recently as 2010.Although there admittedly been changes I've been able to relate to every incarnation.The songs have lyrics that are meaningful to me in my life and I'm looking forward to seeing them live this year ! It's all good,they are on tour and I like the fact that GNR doesn't operate like any other band. :)

By listening too their music. Axls voice is what got me interested at first. Then I bought a live dvd and was blessed after that :)

I remember I always tought they had 2 on vocals... especially from hearin Civil War and KOHD :lol:

By listening too their music. Axls voice is what got me interested at first. Then I bought a live dvd and was blessed after that :)

I remember I always tought they had 2 on vocals... especially from hearin Civil War and KOHD :lol:

A lot of people thought that,unbelievable vocal range!

I guess something about the music just clicked with me. When I first got AFD, I couldn't stop listening to it for months. I'd say the whole album got at least a total run through every day for about 3 or 4 months.

I love nearly every GnR song, and they're the only band I can say that for. That, added with the attitude and the general awesomeness of those 5 guys just made me love GnR.

Totally agree. It was AFD that first made me fall in love with the band.

Axl voice and lyrics along with Slash and Izzy's synergenistic guitar playing, I have never fallen so deeply in love with an album before or since.

I do like the bands other releases but AFD is the stand out album for me.

Guest ben9785

The last modern band/artist that I really enjoy. I guess it's my opinion but I've grown tired of much of the music out there including other bands that I used to listen to and enjoy much more than GN'R in the past. "Chinese Democracy" was much more inspiring to me than most of the music that has come out in the last 10 years, just because of how diverse it is and dramatic it sounds, like a film soundtrack. That might just be my own preference in terms of music but that's how I feel.

Axl's character/personality might be questionable but I don't take those issues to heart because he's not my friend or family member so I don't have a right to judge him as a person. From the interactions with fans I've heard about he seems to be pleasant so I think that is the most important. I also appreciate that, considering the opportunities that a reunion would offer, he still goes down his own path and does whatever feels right for him.

When if first heard WTTJ on MTV I was like WTF???? My only complaint about the WTTJ video is Axls hair but he fixed that pretty quick.

Bought AFD the next day and after listening to it I thought these guys kick ass and don't seem to care what people think, the music was so raw and in your face it was unreal compared to what we had at the time.

I seen them with Alice Copper and it was insane which was before SCOM hit. Got Axl and Izzy autograph during the Copper show and when my house burt a few year later I lost all my concert stuff.

SCOM was a song that real done nothing for me. I know I am in the minority on this but I could listen to it back then but if it comes on the radio now I turn the channel.

Then came UYI and there are just so many song on those 2 albums that meant so much to me on personal level as far as what I was and still am going through to this day with metal illness.

It was like Coma what written for me, I pulled so much emotion out of me and what the songs means to me, I heard the song and instantly knew what I was gettting out if it on an emotional level and also a personal level. GnR's great song to date as far as I am concerned.

I was also more into UYI I while most everyone I knew liked UYI II. UYI I was less main stream as far as the song arrangements but it just seems like it was kinda pushed aside by the mass. Even though alot of the songs on that album I consider better than anything on AFD. Don't get me wrong I liked AFD and UYI II just not like UYI I.

As far as the current GNR I just keep hoping that we will here that mean and agressive side of Axl in his music again. I like CD but if he could get some of the venom back it would be awesome!!!!!