Where the heck is the next album?

Nick85

at the end of the day, UMG's objective is just to make a profit. it doesn't matter to them what axl does, as long as they can make enough money on the deal.

Let's hope that's how they feel and that the label and Axl can come to terms...and soon. Back in early 2010, during the Canadian tour, I PM'd Beta here and asked her if the next album was still on the horizon. She responded that it was "Still on the horizon, but this does not depend only on Axl."

Based on that, I'd wager that Axl's still trying to come to terms with the label in regard to the next release. I wonder where it currently stands. I hope the fact that it's still mums the word from GNR isn't indicative of a 'standstill' for lack of a better term. :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, what happened with that, and why is Axl giving fans the silent treatment regarding it?!

Axl talked about releasing the trilogy in 2002, with his claims of multiple albums being recorded backed up by Sebastian Bach in 2007. This year, both Ron & DJ have confirmed that there is also more than 1 album of finished material down the pipes. But no release, that we know of, is remotely close.

The kicker is that during his 'chats' soon after CD's release, Axl seemed quite optimistic about about possibly putting the next album out the following year in 2009, and openly discussed upcoming tracks The General, Atlas Shrugged, & Soul Monster with the fans.

Since then....Nothing. Not a hint from any credible sources that the next album could possibly still be on the horizon. So my question is, why is Axl keeping us in the dark about this? Why would he openly & enthusiastically discuss the next album with us, only to never mention it again for going on 3 years now.

Does anyone think he's scrapping it altogher & starting fresh? IMO, that would be a shame and probably keep this album in limbo for (even more) years on end. :shrugs:

Thoughts?

I don't think he's giving us the "silent treatment". That to me sounds like there is some plan and we are not privy to it. There may not be any plan at this point regarding a new album. At least nothing substantial. Therefore, we may not be in the dark, really.

I think Axl's remarks in late 2008 about putting out a new album the next year were really off-the-cuff remarks that were not meant to be taken seriously. Also, I don't think those remarks about the confirmed names of other tracks were in the context of tracks definitively to be on the next album. It was just, "yes, these are additional songs we've recorded".

Honestly, I think the best philosophy to adopt for this situation is that there are no plans unless otherwise stated, rather than assuming there are plans that we are not privy to.

Ali

at the end of the day, UMG's objective is just to make a profit. it doesn't matter to them what axl does, as long as they can make enough money on the deal.

That's what a record company does. Make money. Not a bad thing at all. It's just business

I think Axl's remarks in late 2008 about putting out a new album the next year were really off-the-cuff remarks that were not meant to be taken seriously. Also, I don't think those remarks about the confirmed names of other tracks were in the context of tracks definitively to be on the next album. It was just, "yes, these are additional songs we've recorded".

Ali

Yes, but the truth is that it was not nearly the first time Axl or those close to him have brought up the plan of putting out the multiple albums from the CD Era. In late 2002 he stated that he was keen on releasing three albums over the course of three years while the band toured continuously throughout that time. I know a lot has changed since then, but you can't just say the idea of multiple albums or Axl talking about CD consisting of multiple albums was just an off the cuff idea he was throwing around during the chats.

In 2006, Axl again confirmed to Rolling Stone that he had 32 songs recorded, only 14 of which appeared on CD. Soon after that Sebastian Bach said, albeit an exaggeration, that as of 2006-07 Axl had four albums of material and how Axl told him that The General would be on the third record in 2012. This has been echoed by both DJ & Ron's claims that Axl has multiple albums finished. Ron even lamented the fact saying these tracks contain players that have been gone for five years now.

If there's simply still no plan, well, then that's that and we're not missing out on any news. But I'm not sure which is a bigger slight: Hyping up multiple albums and songs over the years, only to let them collect dust for three years after CD's release with no explanation as to why, or having a plan but not thinking the fans are worth updating. <_<

Edited by sofine11

You see, but Axl wouldn't have as much success that way.

I'd say the majority of the world would be able to identify Slash before Axl. Slash promotes himself like crazy as well and is always in the press, that is why his band was so big.

Axl doesn't want to promote jack diddly shit, and doesn't want to go out of his way when he is putting out his life's work. Axl keeping the GN'R is the best thing for him and he feels to be, and is rightfully entitled to the name legally and consciously.

So what you're saying is, Axl is lazy... why should he go promote himself now when he did all that back in the '87 - '93 hey day? For me that's just an arrogant and pompous attitude for anybody in the music industry to have, hell in any area of the media.

Still, I think CD was profitable for all parties involved going by the 5 million sold world-wide

Hardly surprising when Best Buy are selling it at $3 a piece. [Which I saw a month ago in NYC before you bash me].

Ali

Yes, but the truth is that it was not nearly the first time Axl or those close to him have brought up the plan of putting out the multiple albums from the CD Era. In late 2002 he stated that he was keen on releasing three albums over the course of three years while the band toured continuously throughout that time. I know a lot has changed since then, but you can't just say the idea of multiple albums or Axl talking about CD consisting of multiple albums was just an off the cuff idea he was throwing around during the chats.

In 2006, Axl again confirmed to Rolling Stone that he had 32 songs recorded, only 14 of which appeared on CD. Soon after that Sebastian Bach said, albeit an exaggeration, that as of 2006-07 Axl had four albums of material and how Axl told him that The General would be on the third record in 2012. This has been echoed by both DJ & Ron's claims that Axl has multiple albums finished. Ron even lamented the fact saying these tracks contain players that have been gone for five years now.

If there's simply still no plan, well, then that's that and we're not missing out on any news. But I'm not sure which is a bigger slight: Hyping up multiple albums and songs over the years, only to let them collect dust for three years after CD's release with no explanation as to why, or having a plan but not thinking the fans are worth updating. <_<

I understand what you're saying, but really, that was back in 2006 that Axl was still talking about the multi-album plan. Who knows what the nightmare of the CD release and the issues with the label did to those plans. What Axl said in 2008, which was after finally getting CD out, sounded like more of an off-the-cuff remark ("same bat time, same bat channel", etc.).

I honestly don't think we're being slighted in regards to new material. I believe that if and when there is something of substance to know in regards to new material, we will know.

Ali

Ali

It's more than just Axl hyping the album. Tommy had been doing it for years as well

GUNS N' ROSES Bassist: 'Chinese Democracy' To Surface This Year - June 11, 2003

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=12712

AXL ROSE Says 'Chinese Democracy' Will Surface Before The End Of The Year - June 17, 2003

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=12843

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Chinese Democracy' To Surface In Early 2004? - Sep. 7, 2003

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=15056

GUNS N' ROSES Bassist Says All Music For 'Chinese Democracy' Is Done - Jan. 31, 2005

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32224

I understand what you're saying, but really, that was back in 2006 that Axl was still talking about the multi-album plan. Who knows what the nightmare of the CD release and the issues with the label did to those plans. What Axl said in 2008, which was after finally getting CD out, sounded like more of an off-the-cuff remark ("same bat time, same bat channel", etc.).

I honestly don't think we're being slighted in regards to new material. I believe that if and when there is something of substance to know in regards to new material, we will know.

Ali

I agree that the the events surrounding Chinese Democracy's release probably changed things a great deal in regard to the remaining songs and what's to be done with them. Obviously, it hasn't affected things in a positive way, since we're having this conversation right now.

Part of me wonders if this is Axl doing the 'victory or death' thing, and waiting until he believes the "Chinese Democracy Tour" is good and finished (U.S. tour?) before he looks forward to the next album. On the other hand, the hard truth may be that he simply doesn't want to go through all the drama and work that putting out the next album would entail, going by how unhappy he was with the label after CD's launch. Either way, we just dont know and Axl sure ain't telling us.

Edited by sofine11

Ali

Part of me wonders if this is Axl doing the 'victory or death' thing, and waiting until he believes the "Chinese Democracy Tour" is good and finished (U.S. tour?) before he looks forward to the next album.

I have a gut feeling, no evidence of any kind obviously, but just an instinctive, gut feeling that the above is the case.

Ali

On the other hand, the hard truth may be that he simply doesn't want to go through all the drama and work that putting out the next album would entail, going by how unhappy he was with the label after CD's launch. Either way, we just dont know and Axl sure ain't telling us.

I dunno. If I were him, I'd go and do interviews on my own etc to build up the album I've worked so hard on rather than waiting for the record company to do it

On the other hand, the hard truth may be that he simply doesn't want to go through all the drama and work that putting out the next album would entail, going by how unhappy he was with the label after CD's launch. Either way, we just dont know and Axl sure ain't telling us.

I dunno. If I were him, I'd go and do interviews on my own etc to build up the album I've worked so hard on rather than waiting for the record company to do it

He sorta did that with the fan chats and the Del & Billboard interviews. Unfortunately, those interviews contained obviously hand-picked questions and were seemingly done via email. Very impersonal and he spent the bulk of both talking about his frustrations with the label & Slash. The one chance he got to discuss the next record, he batted it away and referred to people looking for release dates as "idiots".

I don't see why he never talks about a new album. It really is like he considers us the enemy and he has to guard all information... for reasons that make 0 sense but in his mind are apparently a very big deal. Don't musicians live to release music? To have what they make heard? I don't consider it artistic to just tour the same songs over and over, the art is lost.

Axl still lives in the 90's where music was guarded all the way up until release. Indie and mainstream artists like Moby, Trent Reznor, Radiohead etc have broken the whole structure, because they know their is more money in touring, due to piracy. Axl still thinks his songs are the honey pot, but the reality is, outside hardcore Guns N' Roses fans like us, they aren't. Hell, I reckon an unreleased Lady Gaga track would be worth more than 10 unreleased GnR songs, simply due to demand. He is working in a regressive way. He blew through millions of the label, and his own money, and waited longer and longer and longer, each year, people were buying less and less records. We were very lucky to get Oh My God when we did, that's really been the only throwaway Axl has given since 1994. Megadeth recorded a song for Guitar Hero, Linkin Park did a song for Transformers II, NIN put out an album of songs on the internet for free, 24 hours after they were mastered. I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free, but do thing in a more expeditious manner, the songs are losing value as time goes on, even more so when people are forgetting about the band as time goes on..

I don't see why he never talks about a new album. It really is like he considers us the enemy and he has to guard all information... for reasons that make 0 sense but in his mind are apparently a very big deal. Don't musicians live to release music? To have what they make heard? I don't consider it artistic to just tour the same songs over and over, the art is lost.

Axl still lives in the 90's where music was guarded all the way up until release. Indie and mainstream artists like Moby, Trent Reznor, Radiohead etc have broken the whole structure, because they know their is more money in touring, due to piracy. Axl still thinks his songs are the honey pot, but the reality is, outside hardcore Guns N' Roses fans like us, they aren't. Hell, I reckon an unreleased Lady Gaga track would be worth more than 10 unreleased GnR songs, simply due to demand. He is working in a regressive way. He blew through millions of the label, and his own money, and waited longer and longer and longer, each year, people were buying less and less records. We were very lucky to get Oh My God when we did, that's really been the only throwaway Axl has given since 1994. Megadeth recorded a song for Guitar Hero, Linkin Park did a song for Transformers II, NIN put out an album of songs on the internet for free, 24 hours after they were mastered. I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free, but do thing in a more expeditious manner, the songs are losing value as time goes on, even more so when people are forgetting about the band as time goes on..

Brilliant post. Perfect analysis. Congratulations.

Axl still thinks his songs are the honey pot, but the reality is, outside hardcore Guns N' Roses fans like us, they aren't.

I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free, but do thing in a more expeditious manner, the songs are losing value as time goes on, even more so when people are forgetting about the band as time goes on..

Where the hell has Axl ever stated anything that would indicate he thinks his songs are the "honey pot"?

As far as putting the CD-era material out on the website for free, that is simply not an option. GN'R is under contract with Universal and no label ever does that. The only reason NIN could do that is that they were not under contract with any label.

Ali

Axl still thinks his songs are the honey pot, but the reality is, outside hardcore Guns N' Roses fans like us, they aren't.

I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free, but do thing in a more expeditious manner, the songs are losing value as time goes on, even more so when people are forgetting about the band as time goes on..

Where the hell has Axl ever stated anything that would indicate he thinks his songs are the "honey pot"?

As far as putting the CD-era material out on the website for free, that is simply not an option. GN'R is under contract with Universal and no label ever does that. The only reason NIN could do that is that they were not under contract with any label.

Ali

hav

Just begs the question though. If what Axl said is true that the label wont get behind the record then why havte them around? Certainly the band can sustain itself with tours or even releases for us diehards. there are at 100,000 people that would buy every damn thing Axl would release (tour footage and things like that that they already have and they could profit off of. Put the shit on itunes, its not complicated. I dont care what deflecting Axl, the label or anyone else does to the contrary.

Ali

Are you saying that the label may be holding the rest of the CD Era tracks hostage? Because I tend to think that's what Axl's doing to the label, & subsequently the fans. I would agree that it takes both of them to set up a marketing plan & set up expenses, but it takes Axl Rose to pull the trigger and say, "Ok, here's the finished album. Let's put it out now." My guess is after the botched release of CD, Axl is holding out for some huge marketing plan & funding that a NuGNR record probably does not warrant, and more than the label is willing to give. I would imagine that's why we're not listening to the other CD Era tracks right now.

No one (outside the forums) cares who's in GNR these days, as it's been the Axl Rose show for some time now. So it doesn't matter if Bucket, Robin, DJ, Bumble, or Bozo the Clown is on it, and it won't affect sales as long as the songs are good. It would sell on the GNR & Axl name alone, so I just hope they're not spending time rerecording them to make it sound more...current.

Edited by sofine11

Ali

Ali, Ali, Ali, when will you read what is written. I never said "Axl should put out the material on the website for free", quite the contary, I specifically said "I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free". And why does Axl have to SAY he thinks his songs are the honey pot, when he has SHOWN it for the last, oh 16 years? Not a snippet, not a preview, no movie specific throwaway(barring Oh my God which I already mentioned), nothing. Bucket put out a song dedicated to Michael Jackson a day after he passed away, Moby puts out single tracks frequently, Fred Durst(hate him as you may) leaked his own album, and they are tied to a MAJOR RECORD LABEL. So please, don't blame Axl's inactivity on the label...

Edited by Young_Gun

Ali

Ali, Ali, Ali, when will you read what is written. I never said "Axl should put out the material on the website for free", quite the contary, I specifically said "I'm not saying put out all the Bucket/Finck material out on the website for free". And why does Axl have to SAY he thinks his songs are the honey pot, when he has SHOWN it for the last, oh 16 years? Not a snippet, not a preview, no movie specific throwaway(barring Oh my God which I already mentioned), nothing. Bucket put out a song dedicated to Michael Jackson a day after he passed away, Moby puts out single tracks frequently, Fred Durst(hate him as you may) leaked his own album, and they are tied to a MAJOR RECORD LABEL. So please, don't blame Axl's inactivity on the label...

Are you serious? You tell me to "read what is written" and you can't even do the same?

I'm just saying the putting the material on the website is NOT EVEN AN OPTION, so it shouldn't even be discussed. They are under contract with UMG so that isn't an option. Every single example of someone releasing songs for free, or putting out songs in an individual fashion, are because the artist are not on a label. Labels make more money from album sales than single sales. That is a fact. Labels like to make money, so they prefer to release whole albums. Period.

Saying that is not "blaming Axl's inactivity on the label". It's checking reality.

I think your conclusion about Axl thinking his songs are the "honey pot" is just off-base. The examples you cite are poor ones at best, the only one tied to a major label was Fred Durst, and he LEAKED his album as you said, not officially released it :rolleyes:

Ali

Are you saying that the label may be holding the rest of the CD Era tracks hostage? Because I tend to think that's what Axl's doing to the label, & subsequently the fans. I would agree that it takes both of them to set up a marketing plan & set up expenses, but it takes Axl Rose to pull the trigger and say, "Ok, here's the finished album. Let's put it out now." My guess is after the botched release of CD, Axl is holding out for some huge marketing plan & funding that a NuGNR record probably does not warrant, and more than the label is willing to give. I would imagine that's why we're not listening to the other CD Era tracks right now.

No one (outside the forums) cares who's in GNR these days, as it's been the Axl Rose show for some time now. So it doesn't matter if Bucket, Robin, DJ, Bumble, or Bozo the Clown is on it, and it won't affect sales as long as the songs are good. It would sell on the GNR & Axl name alone, so I just hope they're not spending time rerecording them to make it sound more...current.

To answer your question, I never said any such thing. I'm perplexed as to how you drew that from what I wrote. I only said that the notion of putting out songs for a free on a website is NOT EVEN AN OPTION for an act tied to a major label, so it shouldn't be discussed in relation to GN'R. I don't disagree with the rest of what you wrote, though.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Ali

Are you serious? You tell me to "read what is written" and you can't even do the same?

I'm just saying the putting the material on the website is NOT EVEN AN OPTION, so it shouldn't even be discussed. They are under contract with UMG so that isn't an option. Every single example of someone releasing songs for free, or putting out songs in an individual fashion, are because the artist are not on a label. Labels make more money from album sales than single sales. That is a fact. Labels like to make money, so they prefer to release whole albums. Period.

Saying that is not "blaming Axl's inactivity on the label". It's checking reality.

I think your conclusion about Axl thinking his songs are the "honey pot" is just off-base. The examples you cite are poor ones at best, the only one tied to a major label was Fred Durst, and he LEAKED his album as you said, not officially released it :rolleyes:

Ali

To answer your question, I never said any such thing. I'm perplexed as to how you drew that from what I wrote. I only said that the notion of putting out songs for a free on a website is NOT EVEN AN OPTION for an act tied to a major label, so it shouldn't be discussed in relation to GN'R. I don't disagree with the rest of what you wrote, though.

Ali

I meant putting out music in innovative ways, not the ancient CD based formula. Durst leaked the tracks, which is even WORSE for the label than releasing them officially. Limp Bizkit owe albums to their label, as do Guns. Again, I'm not saying Axl should do it this way, but he could think outside the square. But there's no talking to you, Axl can do no wrong :thumbsup:

Seriously, what happened with that, and why is Axl giving fans the silent treatment regarding it?!

because its a really super important album thats going to change music :tongue2:

He's creating something new he calls "shmusic"

Dewey+Cox+deweycox.jpg

Ali

Ali

Ali

I meant putting out music in innovative ways, not the ancient CD based formula. Durst leaked the tracks, which is even WORSE for the label than releasing them officially. Limp Bizkit owe albums to their label, as do Guns. Again, I'm not saying Axl should do it this way, but he could think outside the square. But there's no talking to you, Axl can do no wrong :thumbsup:

Weak comeback there. Ignore the facts of the discussion at hand and just take a pathetic little potshot at the poster :thumbsup: If you're advocating Axl leaking an album...well, that's just plain idiotic, I'm sorry. I don't know why else you would bring up the example of Durst :shrugs:

I'm not against "putting out music in innovative ways", but you have check your expectations at the door and realize that the options are more limited when you are beholden to a label that prefers the album format for financial reasons.

If actually have an intelligent, on-topic response, by all means. Otherwise, don't bother.

Ali

A bit off topic, but a serious question. Slash is always described as having a blues rock style of playing.

I'm more of a singer fan, and then a music fan. Some people are the opposite.

When I listen to the VR albums and the last slash solo album, I never thought "oh, this sounds like blues rock."

Can you explain that whole concept to me?

(Again, serious question. I know different guitar players have different sounds and styles. Like old van halen. You could put on a new song and before the singing started you knew it was a van halen song just from the guitar sound. It's just that nothing about VR reminds me of blues rock).

Hopefully somebody can comment on this without being a smartass or turning it into a slash-v-Axl debate.

Edited by Groghan

ALI: Sure it's idiotic to leak a full album, but it's great to leak one song, a single for instance of the album, it helps promoting it big time. Right now though, it's not the time and the place to do that, as i think they're gonna go around with Chinese Democracy a little more.

Right now they're finishing the Chinese Democracy tour and i firmly believe there's not gonna be news of a new album. I believe a relaunch of CD would be the approach they're gonna go with now.

Maybe he doesn't want another experience similar to the epic clusterfuck that was the 7 years( or whatever it was) of fans and press waiting for CD. It shouldn't be all that surprising if he chose to maintain silence til the album including production is more or less done. It would surprise me even less if we never saw another GNR record though.