Where the heck is the next album?

Nick85

I wonder, is it a total pipe-dream to think it's possible for Axl to surprise us with a late 2011 release?

Yes. Yes it is.

I can't believe people are questioning why it's been 3 years and we've heard nothing. Do you not remember it took 14 years for Chinese to see the light of day?

In Axl's words "I don't know if SOON is the word".

And to be perfectly honest, after hearing Chinese Democracy I don't think I want to hear another "New Guns N' Roses" album.

I'll stick with the old albums, Contraband and Slash's solo stuff thanks.

You could post in the alumni section if that's how you feel.Or in dust n bones,or a Disney forum :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder, is it a total pipe-dream to think it's possible for Axl to surprise us with a late 2011 release?

Yes. Yes it is.

I can't believe people are questioning why it's been 3 years and we've heard nothing. Do you not remember it took 14 years for Chinese to see the light of day?

In Axl's words "I don't know if SOON is the word".

And to be perfectly honest, after hearing Chinese Democracy I don't think I want to hear another "New Guns N' Roses" album.

I'll stick with the old albums, Contraband and Slash's solo stuff thanks.

You could post in the alumni section if that's how you feel.Or in dust n bones,or a Disney forum :lol:

Seriously man, you are a bigger cupcake than most of these guys, just let them express their opinions. You actually promote their efforts more by responding...

On topic, I'm waiting til Rock in Rio, if nothing is shown or told by then, forget a new album this year...

Edited by Young_Gun

Guest Len B'stard

there is no new album...no name has been announced, no release date has been given, none of the things that are customary in the pre-release time of an album has happened so what makes anyone think there is a new album? 'We're working on matierial' does not amount to there being a new album on the way.

'We're working on matierial' does not amount to there being a new album on the way.

See, it's posts like this that utterly baffle me. Do many of you not know that from 1998-2006 multiple albums were recorded for a planned trilogy? As recently as two years ago, Axl echoed this, stating that CD was only half of the equation as he always viewed it as a double, confirmed a myriad of song titles, and even said he was hoping for a "same bat time" release for the next one in fall of 2009. Some of you act like the 14 songs released on CD were all that were worked on for the decade that he worked on the album(s). Axl is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. Why would he put the strongest tracks on the first album, and blow his wad right away? He wouldn't.

I've been following the new band since 2000, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard from numerous sources that Axl has multiple albums recorded. Some of the other posters who've been here for a while can confirm this. Here are just some of the confirmed titles for those who need a refresher...

Atlas Shrugged

Thyme

Zodiac

Silkworms

Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone)

Down By The Ocean

Oklahoma

Ides Of March

Quick Song

The General

Plus God knows how many other songs that haven't been revealed to us yet. These are songs that are finished, other than mastering...or rerecording. What DJ said about how they're "writing, recording, throwing around ideas...whatever, doesn't change the fact that these songs are done, and could be released whenever Axl and the label decided they want to. What's keeping the release is a complete mystery to the fans, and is what this thread is about.

Edited by sofine11

'We're working on matierial' does not amount to there being a new album on the way.

See, it's posts like this that utterly baffle me. Do many of you not know that from 1998-2006 multiple albums were recorded for a planned trilogy? As recently as two years ago, Axl echoed this, stating that CD was only half of the equation as he always viewed it as a double, confirmed a myriad of song titles, and even said he was hoping for a "same bat time" release for the next one in fall of 2009. Some of you act like the 14 songs released on CD were all that were worked on for the decade that he worked on the album(s). Axl is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. Why would he put the strongest tracks on the first album, and blow his wad right away? He wouldn't.

I've been following the new band since 2000, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard from numerous sources that Axl has multiple albums recorded. Some of the other posters who've been here for a while can confirm this. Here are just some of the confirmed titles for those who need a refresher...

Atlas Shrugged

Thyme

Zodiac

Silkworms

Down By The Ocean

Oklahoma

Ides Of March

Quick Song

The General

Plus God knows how many other songs that haven't been revealed to us yet. These are songs that are finished, other than mastering...or rerecording. What DJ said about how they're "writing, recording, throwing around ideas...whatever, doesn't change the fact that these songs are done, and could be released whenever Axl and the label decided they want to. What's keeping the release is a complete mystery to the fans, and is what this thread is about.

Someone said that Axl doesn't ever want to be in the position where he has to start from scratch with the records ever again (like after Slash and Duff left). So unless he's got several records piled up I think he is just being cautious. People (with brains) don't spend their last dollar until they have more coming in.

Did anybody ever think Axl is reluctant to release material because it might put him back on the top? Maybe he can't deal with being in the biggest band in the world anymore?

Just a thought...

It wouldn't put him back on the top.

Look at what music is currently at the top, it's not the time for any band to be top.

Atlas Shrugged

Thyme

Zodiac

Silkworms

Down By The Ocean

Oklahoma

Ides Of March

Quick Song

The General

You're right, and that's crazy. He must have little confidence in the material or if it will sell or if people will like it, etc. Honestly, that has to be the reason. There's no other logical explanation unless he wants to start fresh with the new guys but in your post you say he says he never wants to do that again? I don't recall him saying that but if it's true than ya, the fuck is the hold up? I think Axl is slightly outside his mind.... no offense there guy. I think the fact he kept the name GNR has A LOT to do with his cautious actions. If Axl went solo, or started a new band with a new name, all those years ago we'd most likely have several albums including maybe one or two where he went completely experimental and didn't cave into "trying to make it sound like GNR" at all.... which would have been sublime!

I understand him keeping the GnR name, and I don't think it's any problem. But you made me think... if he hadn't done it, not only, like you said, we'd have more music from him, but it would've made his relationship with former GnR members much better, making a reunion something completely possible, unlike today.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

Did anybody ever think Axl is reluctant to release material because it might put him back on the top? Maybe he can't deal with being in the biggest band in the world anymore?

Just a thought...

I don't think he fears success. I do, however, believe that he may not want to go through all the motions, like interviews, live promotional appearances, magazine covers, etc. that the label may require of him for them to back the next album, especially after his disappearing act during Chinese Democracy's release. In fact, they just might not know exactly how to market the followup to CD, and that may be the current issue. Maybe it comes down to Axl simply not wanting to be beholden to the label in any way, shape or form....Even if it means him not releasing the rest of the Chinese Democracy Era tracks.

That's a damn shame, cuz I think it's obvious that the fans are missing out on some really great music.

Guest Len B'stard

:rofl-lol:

fuck it, i ain't posting here no more :lol: I'm done, i'm totally fuckin done, this is too much :lol:

Guest siliconmessiah

Just a thought...

Haha, Volcano, this is a quote of epic proportions.

I wish it was this way. But at the same time, if it should be this way, it goes against his words (that are still on gunsnroses.com if you like to read it) that he took hold of the GNR-name to keep it alive and release music.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Why the hell doesn't Slash just offer Myles the job as singer for Velvet Revolver? He can sing the VR stuff, and they'd be able to play more GnR tunes too.

On topic, who knows when or if there will ever be another GnR album. If it comes, great. If not, there's plenty of other good music out there.

Edited by tat2d1

What gets me is that Axl could come on here, or take to twitter, and with a few sentences clear the air. Even if there are still no plans set in stone for an upcoming release, we'd at least be clear in what our expectations should be. I know he doesn't owe us anything, as many people like to remind us, but it sure would be awfully nice of him to let us know what's up...

What gets me is that Axl could come on here, or take to twitter, and with a few sentences clear the air. Even if there are still no plans set in stone for an upcoming release, we'd at least be clear in what our expectations should be. I know he doesn't owe us anything, as many people like to remind us, but it sure would be awfully nice of him to let us know what's up...

QFT

I wish Axl would drop the name. As much as I like the current line-up of the band, it's fuckin embarrassing when you hear everyday people who aren't fans and only know the original songs chatting shit. It would be so much easier if he did what Slash et al did with Velvet Revolver. Kick ass band, everyone knows the history and everyone respects it's a new band at the same time.

There are ways of keeping the GN'R name and legacy alive without continual member transplants. But who am I to question it.

I wish Axl would drop the name. As much as I like the current line-up of the band, it's fuckin embarrassing when you hear everyday people who aren't fans and only know the original songs chatting shit. It would be so much easier if he did what Slash et al did with Velvet Revolver. Kick ass band, everyone knows the history and everyone respects it's a new band at the same time.

There are ways of keeping the GN'R name and legacy alive without continual member transplants. But who am I to question it.

I agree that these waiting games where Axl continues to hold unreleased music over the heads of the fans does tarnish the GNR name, because like it or not, thats what it is: Another GNR album that's kept in limbo with zero communication from Axl to the fans about its progress.

Some things never change. :shrugs:

You see, but Axl wouldn't have as much success that way.

I'd say the majority of the world would be able to identify Slash before Axl. Slash promotes himself like crazy as well and is always in the press, that is why his band was so big.

Axl doesn't want to promote jack diddly shit, and doesn't want to go out of his way when he is putting out his life's work. Axl keeping the GN'R is the best thing for him and he feels to be, and is rightfully entitled to the name legally and consciously.

I think Axl doesn't come out and shoot down the new album talk because he already did!

Remember that the talk of another album being release-ready is *complete forum member built hype*, ie. trolling/lies. Read what Axl had to say in the Del James "interview", communique, after CD had come: nothing is done, there is no schedule, don't hold your breath, leave me alone ...

In hindsight, part of the blame lies on the shoulders of the moderators, since the constant goddamn threads of the second album were allowed to flourish. Or more like, the threads that were built upon the foundation of wishful thinking/trolling. Those things were insanity and shouldn't have been allowed. Hindsight is always 20/20 though, and I for one am actually a little amazed with how *little* there has been going on considering the lineup and how good it seems to work.

Just a thought...

I don't think he fears success. I do, however, believe that he may not want to go through all the motions, like interviews, live promotional appearances, magazine covers, etc. that the label may require of him for them to back the next album, especially after his disappearing act during Chinese Democracy's release. In fact, they just might not know exactly how to market the followup to CD, and that may be the current issue. Maybe it comes down to Axl simply not wanting to be beholden to the label in any way, shape or form....Even if it means him not releasing the rest of the Chinese Democracy Era tracks.

That's a damn shame, cuz I think it's obvious that the fans are missing out on some really great music.

Agreed,there is obviously animosity between GNR and UMG.

Edited by sailaway

Just a thought...

No, but I think Axl wants to keep his private life private.

He clearly wanted to be alone from all the media circus in the late 90's.

He likes the attention but he won't make a number out of it. He let's the music speak for itself.

And he knows that part of his appeal is his reclusiveness, but he's not trying to be reclusive to keep up some image, he just is reclusive.

Just my €0.014 ($0.02).

Applause Karri,agree totally.Excellent insight.

Just a thought...

Yeah, Axl threw some harsh words their way in the Billboard interview. Who knows whether their relationship has repaired in the two-plus years since. There's really no way we can know whether the label even wants to be troubled with putting out another GNR album after Axl refused to promote it and then placed the blame for the lack of marketing solely on their shoulders. Where did that leave them?

Still, I think CD was profitable for all parties involved going by the 5 million sold world-wide, so maybe they can put their differences aside since perhaps they all stand to gain again from another GNR release. Keep in mind, the album has already been paid for since these tracks were recorded during the CD sessions, which Universal was repaid anyway through the Best Buy deal and any other earnings from CD's release. Other than mastering, if it hasn't already been done, it's been covered.

Again, that's another thing that puzzles me. If the production costs have been covered, and the album is more or less ready to go, what is Axl waiting for? :huh:

Edited by sofine11

Just a thought...

WOW...

:rofl-lol:

fuck it, i ain't posting here no more :lol: I'm done, i'm totally fuckin done, this is too much :lol:

Dudes? Ego much?

I would be the first to admit that I couldn't handle being famous,,,,,

Get off your high horses

You just post stupid shit. We needed a laugh.

Just a thought...

Yeah, Axl threw some harsh words their way in the Billboard interview. Who knows whether their relationship has repaired in the two-plus years since. There's really no way we can know whether the label even wants to be troubled with putting out another GNR album after Axl refused to promote it and then placed the blame for the lack of marketing solely on their shoulders. Where did that leave them?

Still, I think CD was profitable for all parties involved going by the 5 million sold world-wide, so maybe they can put their differences aside since perhaps they all stand to gain again from another GNR release. Keep in mind, the album has already been paid for since these tracks were recorded during the CD sessions, which Universal was repaid anyway through the Best Buy deal and any other earnings from CD's release. Other than mastering, if it hasn't already been done, it's been covered.

Again, that's another thing that puzzles me. If the production costs have been covered, and the album is more or less ready to go, what is Axl waiting for? :huh:

Yet another complex enigma in GNR land :)

if the record label has any decency they'll hook bestbuy up for taking a chance on the Guns album. I feel bad for those guys even though the record sold well worldwide so maybe they offloaded some copies overseas.