A question to the bassists of the forum

Do you use a pick or finger to play the bass?

I've been using a pick up until about a week ago when i had to learn The Trooper by Iron Maiden for my band. Since then i've found it so much easyer to just forget about the pick. But some tracks i still need to use the pick on (SCOM for example)

You're doing it right. Use both of them, not at the same time, of course (unless you're doing some hybrid picking stuff), they're different tools for differente situations. You should also try learning the slap and pluck technics. They're lotzafun!

Don't go for that "true bassists should only use their finger" bullshit: It's not like Fingers > Picks. No, they have different tonal possibilities and it's up to you to decide where you're gonna use them.

Edited by Chewbacca

I been playing bass for like 4 years on a band and I use a pick 90% of the time. But I thinks its because im more of a guitarrist than a bassist and because of the style of the band (punk rock).

Still, I think that a good bass player should master both.

Depending on the music you are playing and the feeling you want to input, the technique you should use.

Edited by feconroses

Well my band are going for a classic rock sound. We do 3 GNR songs, 4 AC/DC some Bon Jovi ect.

But over the past week i have noticed that my playing is better with fingers, until near the end of our set when it goes downhill rapidly.

But i find that tones are completely differant. But will probably keep using both.

Just wanted to make sure i wasn't being an idiot by using both,

Well my band are going for a classic rock sound. We do 3 GNR songs, 4 AC/DC some Bon Jovi ect.

But over the past week i have noticed that my playing is better with fingers, until near the end of our set when it goes downhill rapidly.

But i find that tones are completely differant. But will probably keep using both.

Just wanted to make sure i wasn't being an idiot by using both,

No way, man. Mastering both will only take you higher.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Truly depends onthe situation and what serves each song. I am a bit of a Duff desciple. I play a 1987 Fender Jazz Bass Special into a gallien krueger rig. Playing motorhead or gnr with your fingers DOES NOT sound right imo. On the flipside, don't play motown stuff with a pick