Anybody else still wish that Buckethead would come back?

ITW 2012

I love Bucket, but Ron has put so much time with GUNS. So... I would keep Ron and maybe have Bucket come in for a couple of shows. Or maybe have Bucket in the studio with Ron.

That would be interesting and would probably melt peoples faces off :thumbsup:

That would be the second coming of Cacophony.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me wishes Bucket would come back, as well as Finck to be honest. Those two are the definitive guitar sounds on CD and they're both awesome. That's not to say Ron or DJ aren't good, we just don't know really what they can do with scratch material and we may never get to know with the backlog of already recorded stuff from the CD sessions.

I liked some of what Ron did on CD, but other stuff I don't like much at all. I like what Ron has done live - particularly in the most recent tours. DJ is an excellent player and adds a really nice tone to the band - he brings that warm electric guitar sound that is reminiscent of Slash, but somewhat unique as well.

I just wish these guys put something out and rallied around it. Without that, they really have nothing but the ongoing CD tour and rehashing AFD.

To conclude though, Bucket brought this crazy Jimi Hendrix meets Eddie Van Halen meets Robin Trower sound and vibe while Finck brought a kind of soulful sound crossed with a screeching NIN-esque wail and this almost idiot savant approach to guitar playing. I don't mean Robin any disrespect by that comment either - I love what he did for GNR and would have him back in the band in a heartbeat.

PS: Richard is a monster and a huge asset to the band. He should get some more feature spots, but the elbow room for GNR guitarists to shine is getting pretty tight with 3.

Edited by axlsfury

Buckets contributions are best left on CD in the studio... I NEVER want to see him on a gnr stage ever again.. to deny we are visual creatures is pointless, and bucket looked ridiculous and contributed to GnR losing credibility. Why would you want bucket when Ron, DJ, and Fortus put on a great show... while bucket just stood there

No thanks. Bucket's contributions deserve much respect but he is not what Guns N' Roses is about.

What is Guns N' Roses about?

You guys don't seem to realize that this band isn't Guns N' Roses, and they'll never be Guns N' Roses. Axl was a big part of GNR, but it's not really Guns without Slash, Izzy and Duff. Those guys all contributed greatly to the bulk of the music that Axl has been touring behind for the past ten or so years. Sure, you could argue that Axl, Slash and Duff were able to tour as GNR without Izzy, but they could never make a GNR album without Izzy.

I'm not particularly hung up on the name thing though. I always looked at it like this was Axl and a new cast, and they were just using the GNR name because it meant that they would get more money to make music with. And Buckethead was a very important piece of the lineup that made that new music. I don't know why people who like Chinese Democracy wouldn't want him back. Axl, Bucket, and to a lesser degree, Robin, are the most important performers on CD.

Edited by ITW 2012

No thanks. Bucket's contributions deserve much respect but he is not what Guns N' Roses is about.

What is Guns N' Roses about?

You guys don't seem to realize that this band isn't Guns N' Roses, and they'll never be Guns N' Roses. Axl was a big part of GNR, but it's not really Guns without Slash, Izzy and Duff. Those guys all contributed greatly to the bulk of the music that Axl has been touring behind for the past ten or so years. Sure, you could argue that Axl, Slash and Duff were able to tour as GNR without Izzy, but they could never make a GNR album without Izzy.

I'm not particularly hung up on the name thing though. I always looked at it like this was Axl and a new cast, and they were just using the GNR name because it meant that they would get more money to make music with. And Buckethead was a very important piece of the lineup that made that new music. I don't know why people who like Chinese Democracy wouldn't want him back. Axl, Bucket, and to a lesser degree, Robin, are the most important performers on CD.

I don't want him back, and I love him as a guitar player and his work on Chinese Democracy. Unfortunately his look is not for GNR. Everyone in the band right now looks like a rockstar. I think Buckethead was part of the problem why GNR wasn't accepted by people when they first made their return. They honestly looked like a freak show out there. If they had come back with the current lineup, with more of a rock look, and more of a rock sound. I think they would have been much more accepted by the masses.

I'm all for his work on the albums, because I think he's one of the most talented guitar players around, and the TWAT solo is one of my all time favorites. I do think the live band right now is the best GNR lineup since the Slash days. I hope they stick together.

The freak show look was great and it gave them a new identity. Axl's vocals and no shows (or whatever happened in Vancouver and Philadelphia) are what really fucked that lineup.

Some of you just don't seem to get that Axl will never be able to recreate GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Having players who look like generic rock stars doesn't get him any closer to capturing the magic of what the real GNR had. He had something different and cool with Bucket and Robin though, and I don't feel that he's got that anymore with DJ and Ron. They just seem like backup players to me, and I don't see them ever writing interesting new music with Axl. Personally, I don't think they'll ever write anything with him.

Edited by ITW 2012

The freak show look was great and it gave them a new identity. Axl's vocals and no shows (or whatever happened in Vancouver and Philadelphia) are what really fucked that lineup.

Some of you just don't seem to get that Axl will never be able to recreate GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Having players who look like generic rock stars doesn't get him any closer to capturing the magic of what the real GNR had.

I honestly don't think he wants to recreate a carbon copy,that would mean working with alcoholics and junkies.I'm loving how people who weren't around in the late 80s are so gung Ho about those lineups.

Some of you just don't seem to get that Axl will never be able to recreate GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Having players who look like generic rock stars doesn't get him any closer to capturing the magic of what the real GNR had.

I honestly don't think he wants to recreate a carbon copy,that would mean working with alcoholics and junkies.I'm loving how people who weren't around in the late 80s are so gung Ho about those lineups.

Because those lineups created Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, SCOM and all the other classic songs.

Because those lineups created Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, SCOM and all the other classic songs.

I've been around since then,when AFD hit I was in my 20s,and I've been around ever since. I don't think volcano should post in a thread about the alumni,and if you insist on posting about that era,there are appropriate places. :monkey:

I've been around since then,when AFD hit I was in my 20s,and I've been around ever since. I don't think volcano should post in a thread about the alumni,and if you insist on posting about that era,there are appropriate places. :monkey:

Is Volcano your other profile?

Guest siliconmessiah

I have also asked this, and I think that´s the case.

By all people on this board, Volcano and Sailaway are the only "two" people that for some reason (personal?) seem to hate the old lineup and using a weird vocabulary when talking about them. I would like to know the reason why.

They also take it very personal when other fans on this board shares their point of view on what GNR has become.

I think that all lineups of GNR has made a pretty good job, at least live, but the new one has more to prove in the studio, and the top-hatted addition DJ Ashba for certain.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Hell No! Are you that unobservant and naieve? Hard to belive you would even voice that,unless you were unsuccessfully trying to implant this ludicrous idea into peoples minds.

I have also asked this, and I think that´s the case.

By all people on this board, Volcano and Sailaway are the only "two" people that for some reason (personal?) seem to hate the old lineup and using a weird vocabulary when talking about them. I would like to know the reason why.

They also take it very personal when other fans on this board shares their point of view on what GNR has become.

I think that all lineups of GNR has made a pretty good job, at least live, but the new one has more to prove in the studio, and the top-hatted addition DJ Ashba for certain.

Another misinformed idiot, are you BoBo and del Norte the same person? You have the same agenda,and use similar phrases,although del Nortel does seem a bit more intelligent than you and BoBo. :monkey: