Time for Lady Gaga to step aside.

liquidmetal

Going to be lazy, and quote myself here:

What criteria do you use to define what band is better than another? I might agree with your taste in some instances and disagree in others. How are you going to determine who is right? You can't.

I don't have the energy to bang my head against the wall arguing with metalheads,so adios.

I'm not a metalhead. Listen to a wide variety of music.

Well, your question is a very good one, and the answer is quite complex. Let me start by saying this: it is easy to distinquish the 'great' bands from the 'good' bands and the shitty ones. You don't even need to know much about music to be able to do that. Everybody can. Saying one 'great' band is better than another is however much, much harder. Can't you agree with that?

Music is an art form, just like filmmaking for example is. Are you going to tell me it is impossible to argue that the Godfather is a far, FAR better film than, euhm, 'Scary Movie' is? No, it is not. The acting is better, the writing is better, the cinematography is better,... I don't think I need to go on.

In music it is pretty much the same. Lyrics, melody, originality, technical expertise (can that guy really sing? Can that guy really play a guitar?) sense of rhytm, etc. are all criteria that you can use to judge music.

And it is not about agreeing or disagreeing with someones taste. As I said before, I do no like the beatles, hence I will not agree with somebodies taste if he likes them very much. I will however be the first to admit they are still great, despite mys entiment about their music.

If you are interested in this topic, you should read some works on the aesthetics of music. Simon Frith wrote some good stuff on rock music. And then there is Roger Scruton, who also wrote some interesting, although very classical minded stuff on the topic.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in the sense of comparing Scary Movie to Godfather... some people may prefer Scary Movie over Godfather simply because they prefer comedies over dramas. Are movies like Scary Movie meant to be blockbusters like the Godfather series? Of course not. Do not see the comparison there at all when you are comparing musical taste and movies, or even a Blockbuster juggernaut to a slapstick movie made for shits and giggles.

Some people may like Lana Del Rey's style and voice over Gagas, some may not. Some people are in love with Nickelback. Some are in love with Guns N' Roses, which is why this forum was made in the first place. Ever see a poll in the "Dont Damn Me" area comparing GNR to other bands like Metallica asking "whose the better band"? GNR would get the majority because this is a GNR forum and it is our opinion and taste. Throw that poll on a Metallica board and they get the majority. Their opinion and taste.

Edited by Forsaken

Gaga is almost over, people have gotten sick of her. The had a tremendous amount of promotion for her new album and it had mediocre sales compared to her previous albums. She was outshone in 2011 by someone who hardly promoted at all, someone who just relied purely on their music and voice... Adele. People are finally seeing Gaga for what she is, a copycat, someone who steals from other artists only to claim that she is original. Her decline began with her copy of 'Express Yourself', 'Born This Way' was a hit but the song has become infamous for its plagarism. Add to the picture that Madonna is back, it's not looking good for Gaga. The interest in her has considerably declined this year.

Gaga had heavy promo and sold 5 million copies of her album while Adele did one or two performances with two music videos and has sold 17 million, she's failing right now.

Lana Del Rey definitely won't have Gaga success or push her out of the way but she will have decent success (probably not as much in the US). She makes good music that I can listen to, her songs are well-written and don't have any pathetic, non-sensical metaphors like Gaga's have.

Musicians become has beens once hey turn 40. Gaga will decline but she will comeback like Britney did with Toxcity. I mean Britney had everything bad going for her, and she came out on top.

I am surprised Adele gets so much success since she is fat. Great voice thought

Jagger said he rather die than sing satisfaction at 40.

I believe the Beatles broke up before any of them turned 30. Age is a pretty big factor. The general public is going to want to listen to someone who is young and sexy. Once they loose that sex appeal only the biggest fans will care.

wewantizzy, you're get a bit too sensitive over Gaga's clearly declining popularity. She is fading, face it and she won't come back. People aren't just tiring of her music, they're tiring of her image, personality and disgraceful fanbase too. She tried too hard and it's backfired.

Moaning about how poor she is when Forbes listed her as earning double-digit millions, she's such a hack. Her entire image is copied from Madonna and yet she claims it to be original. She's very pretentious and comes across as condescending and bitchy in interviews. Enjoy her while you can.

And people do still care about Madonna, considering her new album is #1 on iTunes in 49 countries for an album that is released in March. The original will always be a legend, while the jester fades into obscurity after a few years of success.

• 2 weeks later...

Madonna was pretty blah at the Superbowl...take away all the neato imagery and she basically just walked around and sang in her usual half -baked style.

Still better than Lana at SNL.

She's just another rich girl who went to a private boarding school, moved to Brooklyn and became a singer. Being from Brooklyn is losing credibility these days, it is slowly becoming a suburb for hipsters and trust fund babies.

.And no one gives two flying fucks about what Madonna is up to these days she hasn't released anything worth listening to since Ray of Light. Since then it's been more like "HEY HEY LOOK AT ME IM AN OLD BIRD BUT I CAN KEEP UP WITH THE YOUNGINS JUST LOOK AT ME" "OOOH LOOK AT ME IM COOL I CAN PLAY PANTERA" "OOOOHHH I LOOK LIKE A CHICKEN BUT I CAN LIKE 90000 PUSH UPS"

Meh.

I understand what you are saying, but still Madonna deserves a lot of respect. She is still arround and has been for 30 years now. That's something to admire and to respect.

Look Madonna was never really my taste, but without Madonna no Gaga. Even songs and clothing of Gaga are almost the same as what Madonna has written or put on. Not that I think Gaga has no talent, but it's not new or fresh. Madonna stayed relevant, has been setting trends ( musically and clothing) and an example for many, for at least 20 years, who can say that?

Edited by MBRose

• 1 year later...

Gaga is going nowhere.

Thank you.

Or at least this girl is not going to move her. I mean, come on people. Any female artist you like does not necessarily have what it takes to become a huge seller. Do you see a big female audience getting into these songs? Playing them at parties and clubs? Apparently her two singles are both ballads. To me, her sound is way too restrained and esoteric to make it big today. She'll sell records and guy Rock fans will keep her name out there, but she will be no LG.