Minneapolis show 11/13/11 UPDATE THREAD

Coma16

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review... once again complaining about the solos. Reviewers annoy me so much at times (the three reviews I found for Kansas were very positive though which is probably why I continue to look for them). Anyway, here it is:

http://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_19331792

I've never understood reviews. It's one persons opinion. I went to U2 this summer (dragged) and it sucked. The review was good, but I think it sucked. Last night was the opposite, it kicked ass and the reviewer didn't like it. Oh well.....

wonder if Axl too time to remember the lyrics better on his own after the Rio disaster. Shouldn't rely to heavy on that telepromoter. It goes down and makes you look like a fool.

Too bad Trunk just glossed over the Rio performance, since DJ and Axl both said it was great. He should have taken the tim to explain the problems they had following all the bad press

Most bands use monitors. It's not for every single lyric rather just to lean on memory wise.

This was my sixth time seeing a version of Guns, and this was easily the best show I've seen since Axl's split with Duff and Slash, if not ever. The band was great, and I overheard several people raving about how good Axl's voice sounded. Axl seemed stress free. He seems like he's relaxed and having more fun than he did at any of the shows I've seen in the past. There were a couple of moments with idiot fans and technical difficulties that may have set off the old Axl. This Axl seemed to take it all in stride. I'm having a hard time putting it into words, but I feel like Axl has transitioned from angry rocker to content and confident entertainer/showman. I mean that as a positive even though I've loved the angry Axl moments over the years. LOL.

The set list was fantastic. It was such a treat to hear Estranged live again, and I freaked when they played Shackler's Revenge since it hasn't made all of the set lists. I really wish Axl would bring back Civil War and TWAT, but I won't complain about a nearly three-hour show filled with great song after great song. I enjoyed the solos, particularly DJ's. He's really breathed some new life into the stage show. He runs all over and plays to the crowd throughout the show. I really hope this lineup sticks and ultimately records together.

Don't let Rock in Rio throw you off. I enjoyed that gig more than most, but Axl and the boys have come a long way since that show. A truly memorable night.

That was by far one of the best concerts by Guns I've seen. January 2010 in Winnipeg was better, but Sunday's Minneapolis show was TOTALLY worth the 8 hour drive. Ended up about 3 rows back center on the floor. Absolutely awesome experience.

I was pretty close on the floor. Great show. Also my 6th time seeing Axl. Other than the music, the highlights to me included the chicks on the shoulders making out for the crowd for about half of November Rain, The douchebag really right by me getting kicked out within 5 minutes of the show starting, and...the balloon incident. I've got a couple of vids on my facebook (including my own angle of This I Love) if you guys wanna see: http://www.facebook.com/daniel.j.golden

I was pretty close on the floor. Great show. Also my 6th time seeing Axl. Other than the music, the highlights to me included the chicks on the shoulders making out for the crowd for about half of November Rain, The douchebag really right by me getting kicked out within 5 minutes of the show starting, and...the balloon incident. I've got a couple of vids on my facebook (including my own angle of This I Love) if you guys wanna see: http://www.facebook.com/daniel.j.golden

The balloon incident was hilarious. Someone inflated a pretty big balloon and it made its way across the floor onto the stage. It was coming down above Ron, he went to smack it back to the crowd with the head of his guitar and ended up popping it. Him and Axl had quite the laugh over it all during Patience.

Here's one of the better pictures I got. I was more enjoying myself the whole time than taking pictures, but I spent most of the concert up front. Moved back closer to the end, and it almost paid off. Was maybe 10 feet away from catching Axl's mircrophone <_<

axld.jpg

Also, don't know if it was mentioned or not, but there was some fans on the floor I guess giving Ashba and Richard a hard time. They dragged the Mr. Brownstone intro on for quite a while, and I looked over at the left of the stage and they're both flipping someone off telling them to go fuck themselves. Then Fernando ran in and I don't know where he went from there. Saw DJ talking to Tommy shortly later. Told him "some fucker kept throwing shit." Being so close to it all and knowing what was going on was fucking amazing. Haha

Couldn't believe it was packed there. I wasn't expecting that much of a turnout. Put Winnipeg to shame. lol

Edited by Gunner55

That reviewer seems a bit confused, claiming to have seen GN'R live in 2004 and 2008 and saying there were only a couple of old well-known songs in the first 15 songs with the majority being new material. It seems to have only been 5 new songs there? Oh well, good review none the less.

Edited by Changes

A positive review and very good photos:

http://musictourreviews.com/2011/11/16/guns-n-roses

I was introduced to the most dangerous band in the world(back then) in 1986. Live like a Suicide was the record and I did not like it at first. I had Thought who ever was singing was horrible. But after them playing non-stop for about 4 months; I thought “Hey this is kind of good.” Then history was made by Appetite and the Use Your Illusion CDs. We all know the stories, the late concerts, the drugs, the videos, the fights, and of course; the break up.

When Axl was to continue with the band with out the former members we all had our doubts. After many personel changes Chinese Democracy came out. We waited 13 years for the CD, and it was mediocre. To be fair, it was hard to judge something when you wait that long. Over the past 13 years GnR has been in the states for 3 tours. Having seeing the one in 02 and 06 I was excited to see the changes this time around. Only band change this time was DJ Ashba replacing Robin Fink on guitar. Being familiar with Nikki Sixx’s Sixx AM I was excited to see how he would be with GnR.

Adelitas Way opened up the show for a brief set. For more in on them check out there web page www.adelitaswaymusic.net. After an hour and 15 minutes headliner Guns N’ Roses took the stage at 11:15.

With DJ Ashba on the drum riser above Frank Ferrer and giving the salute of metal we were under way.

Axl came out wearing a Black Hat, Jacket and shades. He was looking like he was competing with Kid Rock. Throughout the show, he kept his wardrobe the same with the exception of the hat and shades. Good to see the corn rolls of the past were gone. I was never a fan of the look.

The almost 3 hour show was loaded with new tunes from Chinese Democracy. The rest was a mixture of a lot of Appetite and a lot of cover tunes. Thrown in was AC/DC’s Riff Raff and Whole Lotta Rosie, which was the ‘B’ side to Welcome to the Jungle in 1987. I thought it was cool but some people did not get those 2 songs. Personally I was a little disappointed with the lack of Use Your Illusion songs as there are too many to be ignored. The show lasted quite a while with a lot of individual jams and cover tunes in between their songs.

Axl’s voice was as good as ever. Hitting all the notes on Sweet Child Of Mine and the highs on Knocking On Heavens Door. He worked the stage like a young Axl from the past which was good to see with the classic dancing during a few songs. As the night got later, you could see the crowd getting smaller. Like waiting for there favorite song and then getting on home. But I believe that there is no way can you leave early when a band that comes around every 5 years. Just plan the evening accordingly, and even take the day off the next day if necessary. It was nice to get up close when they were leaving. When you are getting close to the bands you always get to see the band interact with the crowd. After Richard gave a fan a pick on the front row on the side of the stage the fan offered him a bite of his cheese burger. Not sure why but made for a good laugh seeing him refuse the food.

With the band playing their heart out they could have lasted another 2 hours and most of us would have stayed. But then again we would have been there until 5 AM.

Guns N Roses is:

Axl Rose – Vocals / Piano

Dizzy Reed – Piano / Keyboards

Tommy Stinson – Bass

DJ Ashba – Guitar

Richard Fortus – Guitar

Ron Bumblefoot Thai – Guitar

Frank Ferrer – drums

Chris Pitman – Keyboards / Piano