In The Meantime, Best Buy Is Still Not Selling Chinese Democracy.

Nick85

I won't use itunes because you don't get the art and you can download for free

I won't buy cds because you can burn cds for free

Vinyl baby! It makes you listen to the whole record since it's a lot harder to skip songs, the quality of sound is different (many say better, I think it may be better but it's definitely different so you get a different perspective on the music than when you play it in your car, etc.), the artwork is huge and quality, a shelf with vinyls is much more of a centerpiece in a room (or a noticeable attraction, or whatever you want to call it) since they're larger, and the whole experience of putting on a vinyl is fun, and you often get a code to download the album. Get into it!

EDIT: Just for the record, I have AFD and UYI1 on vinyl right now and they sound fucking amazing.

It doesnt bother you that by getting music for "free" you are actually stealing from the artist who created the music?

I've never understood why somebody who wouldn't dream of shoplifting from a grocery store has no problem shoplifting music from artists that they love.

Why would you think Best Buy sold all their stock? There have been multiple reports in the press that BB originally bought 1.6 million units here in the U.S. and lets be generous and say they sold 1 milloin of those units at full retail.

All the reports I've seen from official sites have stated it was well bellow 1 million. Do you have links to the "multiple reports"?

Do you have links to "all" the reports from official sites that back up your numbers?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason it can't sell is because it sucks.

Axl missed the opportunity of selling thousands of CDs on curiosity alone when he released the songs on MYSPACE. When everybody heard that the songs sucked they passed on buying it. The only chance this CD had at selling was on the curiosity factor. The material is just too mediocre to sell itself.

That was a very stupid move by Axl/management. What was the point of being so secretive about the material if he was just going to allow people to hear it prior to release?

That's extremely subjective, but I do agree about the MySpace thing. It probably didn't compromise THAT many sales, as I think the whole Best Buy thing to begin with is what ultimately did, but it was certainly no help. Anyone who had just a bit of a curiosity had his or her chance to hear it. Even if they liked it, they might not have exactly had the drive to head out to Best Buy when they've already heard it and satisfied that curiosity.

It doesnt bother you that by getting music for "free" you are actually stealing from the artist who created the music?

Artists make almost no money off of that CD purchase anyway. I think it's like, what...1-2 dollars at most? Indie releases are a little worse but as far as major releases, it's not that big of a deal. Not that I'm a fan of torrents or anything but downloading an album isn't the worst crime known to man. Musicians make most of their money by touring.

Trent Reznor actually encourages the theft of his own music lol.

Do you have links to "all" the reports from official sites that back up your numbers?

I'm not going to go scouring the internet to link all the news stories showing the same numbers over and over again just to make you happy but here's a link for you. Wanna find the rest? Get off your ass and do it yourself.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy_re-enters_us_charts.html

I won't use itunes because you don't get the art and you can download for free

I won't buy cds because you can burn cds for free

Vinyl baby! It makes you listen to the whole record since it's a lot harder to skip songs, the quality of sound is different (many say better, I think it may be better but it's definitely different so you get a different perspective on the music than when you play it in your car, etc.), the artwork is huge and quality, a shelf with vinyls is much more of a centerpiece in a room (or a noticeable attraction, or whatever you want to call it) since they're larger, and the whole experience of putting on a vinyl is fun, and you often get a code to download the album. Get into it!

I've heard vinyl sounds better but never actually compared formats.

It depends on the original recording process. If recorded in analog, vinyl is going to sound alot better because there's no information lost (0's and 1's). If it's recorded digitally then the difference is much smaller. But in the end it'll still "sound" better because again, vinyl is analog and so are your ears. It's the same reason why tube amps sound better than solid state.

To give you a quick example, I have In Utero on both vinyl and cd. On the vinyl version, there are literally guitar effects present that aren't even ON the cd copy because the information was lost in the transition.

Hmm, I'm not sure it works quite like that. I've had it explained to me that this isn't actually accurate. I think if you speak to designers of high end digital to analog converters (i.e. DACs), they will tell you that it is possible to convert digital back to the analog waveform without a losing any information. That is, the waveform can be reconstructed perfectly.

I'm not sure. It's over my head. But as Del hinted at above, there are many factors at play...not just tubes vs. solid state, or vinyl vs. CD. You can get great results with any of those, if you buy quality components (no $100 CD players from Best Buy) and set them up right. Unfortunately, the one wild card is the quality of the recording. Many albums nowadays sound like crap whether you play it through tubes or SS, vinyl or CD. But many sound great. The CD has some inherent advantages over vinyl (dynamics, less noise), and I've heard many CDs that sound just incredible. Listen to an audiophile CD...I've got a couple and to me it would be very hard for vinyl to touch it. One of the best sounding mainstream CDs I've ever heard is Grave Dancer's Union. To me, GN'R's albums are average as far as sound quality goes.

I've got a turntable though, and I enjoy collecting vinyl. It'll never be as big as my CD collection, but vinyl obviously can sound incredible. I listened to AFD recently and it's just awesome on vinyl. Something I didn't know until recently is that vinyl is actually in a higher resolution than CD, 96/24 vs. CD's 44/16. I'm considering purchasing mostly vinyl now and getting a better sound card. You can actually record albums in that higher resolution and you then have the option to either burn to a regular CD at 44/16 or to a DVD at 96/24. That way I will own a vinyl copy for mostly archival purposes (and occasional listening), and I'll have a CD/DVD for everyday listening.

I'm not going to go scouring the internet to link all the news stories showing the same numbers over and over again just to make you happy but here's a link for you. Wanna find the rest? Get off your ass and do it yourself.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy_re-enters_us_charts.html

I really don't care about sales totals. That's not how I judge if I like an album or not.

Just thought your reaction was funny. And then your reaction to my post....guess it says something about your personality. It is ok for you to tell somebody to post links to back up their statement....but you get upright when somebody asks you to do the same thing? Nice.

Best Buy were the exclusive US outlet for Chinese Democracy; the US tour begins upon the conclusion of this month.

If a re-release to compliment the tour is the agenda I can see it literally happening right before the tour as opposed to well in advance.

They’ll drop it and sustain the buzz with a lengthy run.

I guess this will happen. Re-release + bonus material (remixes by Brain + new song(s)).

Brain: Axl is really interested in having everybody bring what they do into the picture. I just did a remix of "Shackler's," - made it kind of more club. And I think he wants to put out a remx album of some of the other songs we did. The great thing is he lets you do what you do. He still has the final say and wants it to work as a Guns N' Roses cut. But he definitely will let you stretch it out in that way, and I think that's where my influenes come in. I listen to a lot hip-hop and R&B. I listen to all of Questlove's productions. Every time a Roots album comes out I'm in line at the store, I'm still a fan that way.

http://elsewhere/200...emix-album.html

Club? That would be a fuckin' disaster. GN'R ain't shitty club music.

Good:

Shit:

No thanks, Brain!